pixeltracker

SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs- Page 3

SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#50SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:56pm

There are plenty of names they could have tried to get to replace Audra, and maybe they could tailor some of the keys of songs to give more options. I think someone like Samira Wiley, Kerry Washington (although I believe she is pregnant as well, or was recently?), Shanice Williams (if she could play older) or Janelle Monae could have fit the role and been a big draw. (No doubt Audra's replacement was talented, but I didn't know if she was a Brodway debut or a star replacement.) 

That being said, it's cool to see that Audra has gone from being a Broadway darling to a box office draw. Same could be said for Kelli O'Hara. 

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#51SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 8:59pm

Shanice Williams 

She would sell about 3 seats. 

Finch
#52SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:01pm

I saw it

i liked it

now, then, I wonder what kind on insurance the producers have on the show.  This early closure may not make the show a total financial failure.

10086sunset
#53SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:03pm

This is crazy.

I'll say this for Rudin, he's not afraid to make a decision.

¿Macavity?
#54SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:06pm

I wonder if next season will be filled with as many short closing notices as this one.

FlySkyHigh
#55SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:08pm

Wow! This season has been the best of times and the worst of times. One of the strongest seasons in recent memory but there has been no staying power. I know Audra was the big draw. Despite my love for Brian, Billy, Joshua, and co. I have to admit she was my main reason for seeing the show. Still, I'm shocked at this abrupt closing. They might not have six time tony winning star power, but the fact that four other big (or at least noticeable) names couldn't  draw enough sales is stunning. I find it a little hard to believe. Couldn't Rudin have given Rhiannon and  Savion at least a few weeks to see how they fit into the show and possibly generate positive word of mouth? Just how steep was the drop off in sales?

I feel so bad for the whole company, including Rhiannon and Savion for not even getting a chance to perform. And I feel bad for Audra. Even if no one is blaming her, she has to feel awful that such a blessing and gift in her personal life has affected others' professional lives. Here's to hoping that every member of this incredible cast finds their next gig soon. Or maybe a miracle will happen and Rudin will realize he jumped the shark and change his mind? Can he even do that  at this point?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#56SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:13pm

Has it been filmed or planning to be filmed?

Just give the world Love.

FlySkyHigh
#57SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:15pm

uncageg said: "Has it been filmed or planning to be filmed?

"

https://instagram.com/p/BGzMNq1QktL/

rangersrule132
#58SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:18pm

Jordan Catalano said: "This. Was announced an hour ago and there's still not a thread asking if the last performance will be streamed.

Weird. 

"

Winner

plzstp
#59SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:21pm

When will they make "Shuffle Along, or, the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed, or, the Making of the Musical Sensation of 2016 and All That Followed"

In all seriousness this is really sad news. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#60SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:27pm

Thanks FlySkyHigh. This must have happened recently as the American Psycho billboard is gone. No date on the instagram.

Just give the world Love.

ilovebroadway3
#61SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:34pm

Saw it last weekend had such a great time, such amazing talent on one stage. Sad for the cast and everyone involved.

aaaaaa15
#62SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:38pm

The Instagram post was put up 5 days ago.

StephieElise
#63SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:43pm

I'm so disappointed! I booked my tickets for September (what was then due to be Audra's first show back) back in March, largely for Audra but also for Billy Porter and was still looking forward to it even without Audra.

Does anyone know what Telecharge's options are for cancelled shows? I'm hoping I might be able to get a credit for a different show because otherwise I'll really lose out of currency exchange fees. If that is the case, any suggestions for a replacement show for end of September?

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#64SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:43pm

Is it possible that instead of an out-of-town tryout or off-Broadway tryout, they opted for a Broadway tryout? Maybe they choose to close the show so they work on it and revive it in a few years.

¿Macavity?
#65SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:48pm

plzstp said: "When will they make "Shuffle Along, or, the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed, or, the Making of the Musical Sensation of 2016 and All That Followed"

In all seriousness this is really sad news. 

"

If only it was the sensation of the season, lol.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#66SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:49pm

Such a shame this announced it's sudden closing. But as it's been said before, their advance after Audra leaves must be very low.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#67SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:56pm

This, plus AN AMERICAN IS PARIS are a little shocking. But I think they're the first of two to start announcing closings. I'd expect FIDDLER, JERSEY BOYS & KINKY BOOTS to follow shortly. The latter three likely have shows knowing on their doors to go in(MISS SAIGON, GOTTA DANCE, ANASTACIA, AMELIA, COME FROM AWAY).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 6/23/16 at 09:56 PM

mcsquared
#68SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 9:58pm

I didn't even know until I read this article that Rhiannon Giddons had been cast as Audra's replacement. She has a big fan base of her own and sells out concerts regularly so a shame she won't get to perform. Doubt I'll get back to NYC to see this--barely caught Bright Star and Eclipsed before they closed.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#69SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:01pm

While I don't think Rudin's commentary was blaming Audra's pregnancy for the show closing, it did basically suggest that if she wasn't having a baby it wouldn't be closing with the line: "The need for Audra to take a prolonged and unexpected hiatus from the show"

But she was already going to be gone for three months for Lady Day in London. While that is a shorter time period it still included the entire busy summer season. Considering that she would have already been gone by now, Shuffle Along might have closed even sooner. 

I'm really not trying to stir up anything I just feel that he could have said that Audra was the big draw and she was going to be gone for the summer no matter what, which put a strain on ticket sales. Maybe he should have hired a higher profile replacement. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

10086sunset
#70SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:05pm

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "While I don't think Rudin's commentary was blaming Audra's pregnancy for the show closing, it did basically suggest that if she wasn't having a baby it wouldn't be closing with the line: "The need for Audra to take a prolonged and unexpected hiatus from the show"

Tend to believe Rudin has to be pissed about the situation.

Margo319
#71SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:06pm

What the hell?  The rest of the cast is so unbelievably talented and incredible, what a complete waste of their time.  They only did 100 performances.  This is complete bullsh!t and what he was said was blaming Audra and nearly shaming her for being pregnant.  Wow.  

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#72SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:11pm

Are there any other set days besides the Wednesday matinee that she doesn't do? I want to purchase tickets and make sure I pick the right date. 

davet7462
#73SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:14pm

Yeah - this isn't cool.  Great show - my wife and I loved it.  And Rhiannon Giddens is an incredibly talented person.  And its not like this show revolves around Audra's character, either.  You'd think a show so ravely reviewed and nominated could survive for awhile with people like Billy and Brian, et al.  Just a damned shame.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#74SHUFFLE ALONG Sets Sudden Broadway Closing After Audra McDonald Departs
Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:14pm

Well, the show landed on Broadway with a crash and a bang, so it makes sense that it's leaving Broadway exactly the same way.

In all honesty, though, I'm heartbroken for everybody involved. To be frank, though, I hope this show's developmental process (or lack thereof, I should say) acts as a cautionary tale for future productions.

I wish everybody involved all the best. Too much talent tied this to this show.

Updated On: 6/23/16 at 10:14 PM