pixeltracker

ANASTASIA Broadway Cast Confirmed, Set for Broadhurst Theatre - Spring 2017- Page 2

ANASTASIA Broadway Cast Confirmed, Set for Broadhurst Theatre - Spring 2017

neonlightsxo
#25ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 12:47pm

The rest of what I said is a fundamental misunderstanding by that poster of what the show is. But sure, nitpick what I said to side with the troll.

I didn't say they weren't opinions. I just reiterated that they're wrong. Updated On: 6/28/16 at 12:47 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 12:59pm

neonlightsxo said: "The rest of what I said is a fundamental misunderstanding by that poster of what the show is. But sure, nitpick what I said to side with the troll.

I didn't say they weren't opinions. I just reiterated that they're wrong. "

Opinions, by definition, can't be wrong. 

I'm not siding with a troll, simply stating a matter of truth. 

I have absolutely no opinion on this show, nor its casting, since I didn't see the out of town tryout. But someone who has seen the show has every right to call Altomare miscast, or have any opinion they wish. 

neonlightsxo
#27ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 1:18pm

I tend to disagree with people who say opinions can't be wrong. For example: Fun Home is bad. But you can disagree with me.

a-mad
#28ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 1:43pm

Nice reunion for Christy Altomare and Derek Klena from the Carrie off-Broadway revival from a few years ago...

In fact - interesting to see how many of that cast have gone on to great things like Carmen Cusack and Jeanna de Waal.

There certainly was a lot of talent in that ensemble...

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#29ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 1:45pm

Angela can't sing Mary Beth's notes (she never could), so they should cut or rewrite the Empress' solo and lower all the other songs she sings/turn them in a sort of speak-singing.

I'm sorry MBP won't be on Broadway with this, Liaisons will be excellent but the role of the Empress would give her more visibility than Madame de Rosemonde.

Updated On: 6/28/16 at 01:45 PM

neonlightsxo
#30ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 1:47pm

MBP is having a good year:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Mary-Beth-Peil-to-Join-Janet-McTeer-Liev-Schreiber-in-LES-LIAISONS-DANGEREUSES-on-Broadway-20160628

imeldasturn, the two shows don't overlap. Liaisons is in the fall. She could do both. Updated On: 6/28/16 at 01:47 PM

10086sunset
#31ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 2:03pm

Excited for this. Believe it can be truly successful. 

silentmob
#32ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:14pm

Aww, we are going to be in town the week prior...any chance of previews?  Our last day is the 20th.  

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:17pm

Yes, there will absolutely be a preview period, silentmob. It seems they just have not yet confirmed when previews will begin. You will definitely be safe.

silentmob
#34ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:22pm

Thanks!  I'll keep my eye out for it.  We would love to catch this before leaving town.

Liza's Headband
#35ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:31pm

neonlightsxo said: "I tend to disagree with people who say opinions can't be wrong. For example: Fun Home is bad. But you can disagree with me.

"

Again, when you're discussing art an opinion cannot be wrong. It is all subjective. I might believe FUN HOME is amazing, and you might believe it's a big steaming pile of crap. It doesn't make one opinion "right" and one "wrong." It just makes them opposing viewpoints or preferences. If you truly believe an opinion on a subjective art form can be wrong, I'll plan on taking all of your future insights with a grain of salt. 

pupscotch
#36ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:41pm

This thread has now become something different entirely from the topic at hand, in usual BWW fashion. 

I'm so excited for this show! I didn't get the chance to see it in Hartford, so I'm glad that it's transferring. If Angela Lansbury comes back to Broadway in this, I would be so excited, though I know that Mary Beth Peil will be amazing (and was in the Hartford tryout) if it's her, so I have no complaints either way :)

neonlightsxo
#37ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:41pm

Do you have anything to say about Anastasia or are you just here to argue with me? I truly don't understand what your motivation is to constantly seek out arguments on this board.

pupscotch, I'm not sure if Angela Lansbury playing the role is an actual possibility or if it's just wishful thinking on many people's parts.
Updated On: 6/28/16 at 03:41 PM

Liza's Headband
#38ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:43pm

neonlightsxo said: "Do you have anything to say about Anastasia or are you just here to argue with me?

"

So, you're choosing not to respond? How mature. I'm also not arguing with you. I'm reminding you that opinions based on subjective art forms cannot be wrong. Plain and simple. Since that was brought up in relation to ANASTASIA, it's more than appropriate and on-topic 

ETA: furthermore, it's amazing how you think I am "seeking" out arguments. I didn't seek you out. I was coming to the defense of another poster who was lambasted by you for simply sharing his/her thoughts on the show. Give me a freaking break. 

Updated On: 6/28/16 at 03:43 PM

VintageSnarker
#39ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 3:58pm

I'm happy that this is moving forward. The casting feels young to me only because in my head I'm still thinking about Liz Callaway, Meg Ryan, and John Cusack. The changes from the movie will probably help to divorce the two in my mind unless they did an Ever After and lifted chunks of the movie dialogue.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#40ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 4:02pm

Yes, I brought up Angela Lansbury initially only as wishful thinking. I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility, especially since she participated in readings, and Peil was not included in this particular announcement that included most of the other principals. But it's still just wishful thinking at this point. I haven't heard any rumors or anything like that. 

¿Macavity?
#41ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 8:44pm

Why is this thread here? We already have a thread by BroadwayMagTech that covered this!

mikey2573
#42ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:11pm

I'm afraid I have to agree with Esther.  What I saw in Hartford was pleasant, but nothing to write home about.  The primary romance story is right out of a 100 musicals that have come before it, many of which did it much better than ANASTASIA does.  The true drama in the show comes from the conflict between Anya and her possible grandmother.  That really was more interesting than the somewhat bland, traditional love story.  

If they bring the show I saw in Hartford to Broadway without some major overhauling, I don't see it lasting too long.  It really does need a lot of work and I hope they do what is needed and bring in a really interesting show.  But like I said, it would have to be a lot different than the "Disney-light" show I saw in CT. 

Updated On: 7/4/16 at 11:11 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#43ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:21pm

Angela is almost 91. I know the role is supposed to be an elderly woman, but can she handle being in a musical of this size? Is it a large role? 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#44ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:52pm

The role is not very big, and she's in pretty good shape for 91 - definitely still performing

TigerBait88 Profile Photo
TigerBait88
#45ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 7/3/16 at 4:32pm

Telecharge page for Anastasia has previews starting on March 23, 2017. Just thought some might like to know. 

nycncbrguy
#46ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 7/4/16 at 3:21am

Yes! Ramin Karimloo was Gleb in the Anastasia Workshop.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#47ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 8/25/16 at 6:58am

So, Christy Altomare's "Journey to the Past" is going viral on Facebook. Telling from the comments and the hits, I'm starting to wonder if Christy can possibly -and hopefully- pull a giant upset at the Tonys for Best Leading Actress next year? 

broadwayguy91
#48ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 8/25/16 at 7:07am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "So, Christy Altomare's "Journey to the Past" is going viral on Facebook. Telling from the comments and the hits, I'm starting to wonder if Christy can possibly -and hopefully- pull a giant upset at the Tonys for Best Leading Actress next year? 

"

I think she will be nominated but won't win. only because the competition is really strong.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#49ANASTASIA Set for Broadhurst Theatre, Spring 2017
Posted: 8/25/16 at 8:03am

And we haven't even seen most of the other potential nominees yet.

Updated On: 8/25/16 at 08:03 AM