pixeltracker

John McMartin has passed- Page 2

John McMartin has passed

YouDon'tClimbTrees? Profile Photo
YouDon'tClimbTrees?
#25John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 8:48am

Very sad. I saw him in Grey Gardens and Is He Dead? but I also used to see him walking through Shubert Alley.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#26John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 9:02am

So sad to wake up to this news. He was a favorite of mine. The first thing I ever saw him in was a Season 1 episode of "The Partridge Family" where he courts Shirley and the kids do everything to break them up because they mistake him for a gigolo. 

The came "Sweet Charity"...then "Follies"...he will be missed.

John McMartin has passed

Updated On: 7/7/16 at 09:02 AM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#27John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:30pm

When I was 13, I saw him in FOLLIES at the Colonial Theater in Boston; pre-Broadway. Also saw him in INTO THE WOODS, SHOWBOAT and GREY GARDENS on Broadway. I agree with other posters, his version of "The Road you Didn't Take" is the best...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#28John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:32pm

What an absolute shame. I only saw him live in Grey Gardens, but he was wonderful in it. What a wonderful career, and by all accounts he was a lovely man. I agree that it would be enormously fitting to honor him with a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Tony.  

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#29John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 3:51pm

PalJoey said: " 

I saw this (FOLLIES) five times. Without bombast or exaggeration, I can honestly say it changed my life.

"

Mine, too, as you know. Thanks to another member of the SOLOMON'S CHILD cast, my husband and I got to have dinner with John during previews for that failed play, a decade after FOLLIES. He graciously indulged my babbling about what FOLLIES and his performance had meant to me. (I still cringe to recall my behavior.)

In my brief experience, he was very much a gentleman, in the best sense of the word. And I always loved him on stage. He had one of those wonderful and distinctive musical theater voices that could be heard and understood no matter what the orchestra was playing nor what else was happening on stage.

10086sunset
#30John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 4:25pm

A true loss. A true talent. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#31John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 4:41pm

A true talent and a gentleman. He was very nice to me at the Grey Gardens stage door. Also, he is in one of my favorite campy movies, "Who's That Girl" with Madonna. He's very funny. RIP John xo

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#32John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 4:47pm

This man was truly a marvel, entirely unique and such a professional through and through. I had the privilege of seeing him in GREY GARDENS and ANYTHING GOES, and his comic performance as Elisha Whitney in the latter was, as far as I’m concerned, definitive.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Mike3 Profile Photo
Mike3
#33John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 4:58pm

Flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. 

Ranger Tom
#34John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 5:08pm

Wonderful career.  RIP.

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#35John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 7:19pm

RIP to a fine actor and an Upper West Side neighbor. I used to see him in my neighborhood supermarket (back when we still had supermarkets on the UWS).

In addition to his great stage work, he was memorable in an episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show ("Mary Gets A Lawyer"John McMartin has passed, which you can find on Youtube.

Updated On: 7/7/16 at 07:19 PM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#36John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 8:11pm

I found out moments ago. This is very upsetting. He was a wonderful actor and a great music interpreter. From Follies to Grey Gardens and beyond, he was a captivating presence and thrilling actor. There are no words.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTWezTaM2u0

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 7/7/16 at 08:11 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#37John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 9:10pm

The invaluable YouTube poster 1971FolliesFan has posted this mashup of McMartin singing "The Road You Didn't Take" in 1971 with the version from one of the Sondheim birthday concerts a few years ago:

binau Profile Photo
binau
#38John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 9:16pm

The ending of the birthday concert seems so real I can't tell if he is acting or not. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#39John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 9:33pm

He will always live in our hearts. A Prince who gave so much to us all. Attention will be paid.

mamaleh
#40John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/7/16 at 9:40pm

Great YouTube mashup, thank you. He was the epitome of the singing actor, someone who lived the lyrics as he sang them.  I will miss his presence on stage so very much. 

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#41John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/8/16 at 7:12am

That Birthday Concert performance of "The Road You Didn't Take" never fails to astonish me. I watched it three times last night, and I can never wrap my head around how he pulls it off.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#42John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/8/16 at 7:41am

Beautiful obituary in this morning's Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/arts/john-mcmartin-sweet-charity-star-dies-at-86.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobituaries&action=click&contentCollection=obituaries&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

When Mr. Prince asked him to join the cast of “Showboat,” he begged off, saying he was not right for the part of Cap’n Andy, but eventually gave in.

“I love it when Cap’n Andy says in the last act, ‘The lucky people are the ones that get to do what they enjoy doin’,’” Mr. McMartin told The Chicago Tribune. “That’s the way I feel about my work. I’m one of the lucky people.”

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#43John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/8/16 at 8:48am

Very nice obituary.

How strange that Dennis Kelly, Eli Whitney, in the recent Anything Goes tour passed away at the end of May.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#44John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/8/16 at 7:23pm

I just dug up that episode of The Partridge Family and played it in his honor. I will screen his MTM episode and watch Sweet Charity as well. He truly was a versatile actor and achieved such longevity in his career. I have tremendous respect for him and his talent. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#45John McMartin has passed
Posted: 7/8/16 at 7:36pm

He also was great in the original Bob Newhart show and Golden Girls (I recall he played a priest in both)