pixeltracker

Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival- Page 2

Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival

LarryD2
#25Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/12/16 at 12:21pm

Betty Buckley remains the ultimate musical Norma, and the only one who could come close to approaching Swanson's brilliance. She is the only actress I've seen who didn't play Norma like a raving loon from the first moment. And she was around the same age as Swanson when she played the role.

The show itself, though, really isn't good. The lyrics are pedestrian and the music isn't memorable. It's not as offensively bad as some of ALW's other compositions -- but that's like saying a wet diaper is better than a s*itty diaper.

10086sunset
#26Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/12/16 at 1:43pm

The character is larger than life...the nuisances that Swanson could play in the film simply could not be recreated in a huge musical theater production...

I maintain Close acted the role best, followed by Paige...

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#27Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/12/16 at 2:23pm

Not shockingly - this is typical -either you hate ALW/SB music or you don't.  For me it's one of my all time favorites (with Aspects of Love right there with it)

I agree with the post that the second act does seem to drag a bit.  Was never a fan of "Too Much In Love To Care" - just felt out of place with the rest of the score to me (although it did work better on the US tour with a softer, quieter ending to it)  And I've heard people say that the finale is kind of a wasted opportunity with the reprises rather than some 11 oclock Norma finale.  But that aside, from the first notes of that overture, I've always felt I'm on a rollercoaster ride and taken in by the music/characters and story.

I'm feeling more doubtful about this happening this winter.  I mean wouldn't it have already been announced?  And with ALW busy opening School of Rock in London and if LND is starting to tour next year, I'd imagine he's got enough on his plate

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#28Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/12/16 at 3:08pm

It does seem like a sure way to lose your investment; the original closed at a loss (even with the biggest advance of any show to that date), and there's no reason to suspect that a revival (even done on the major cheap) would fare any better. Close could barely sing it 22 years ago, and I doubt that her voice is stronger now, at (almost) 70.

Updated On: 10/12/16 at 03:08 PM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#29Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/12/16 at 3:21pm

I just can't imagine wanting to see this 23 years later, without the opulent sets and costumes. It was entertaining enough, but this seems absurd.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#30Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 1:08am

Can Judith Light sing? Don't think I've ever heard her do it, so I assume no, or at least to the demands of Norma, but I'd love to see her in the role. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#31Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 1:54am

This is one of my favorite shows/scores, but I don't think I'd pay good money - I'd probably rush it - to see this show. I want to see someone who can NAIL those songs. Who act the show. And I want to see production. It's Broadway. I want quality. I want it to look expensive. With the way technology has gone, I think we could still get an opulent production without a huge cost. 

brian1973
#32Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 3:45am

I love how you are all slating the idea of them even staging this, and Glenn's performance and yet NONE of you have seen it!

I have.. and there's a reason they want to take it to NYC. In London it was sensational. Glenn Close gave a true star performance. Yes she doesn't have the best voice but she sure as f**k knows how to sell those songs. Would you rather some cabaret crooner warbling those songs or someone who can really ACT?

Truth is, when it arrives in NYC, you'll all scamper to the Palace to watch it. 

Updated On: 10/13/16 at 03:45 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#33Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 8:36am

"...and yet NONE of you have seen it!"

I saw it twenty-two years ago with Close and thought she stunk to high heaven then (as noted earlier, I thought her performance style was stolen from a demented drag queen and her voice was like nails on a chalkboard). I have no reason to suspect that she'll be better in either aspect at 70 - she might be a bit less Cruella Deville-ish, but I suspect not.

I saw Lupone in the UK the previous year, and although I thought her acting and (obviously) her singing were much better, the show was still a rotten turd, polished to a high gloss, a lowbrow adaptation of a great movie, with doggerel verse lyrics and childish syrupy tunes.

Updated On: 10/13/16 at 08:36 AM

10086sunset
#34Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 6:07pm

Per Riedel, 10/13/16

Lloyd Webber’s “Sunset Boulevard,” starring Glenn Close, is definitely a go for the Palace Theatre in January. The Broadway production was a little tentative because of the cost — the English production has an orchestra of 50 — but the producers have cracked the numbers to make it more viable.

The orchestra will now have 40 players, which is still generous by today’s standards.

Opening night of “Sunset Boulevard” is shaping up to the hottest ticket in town.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#35Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:25pm

And here's our confirmation.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#36Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:31pm

I have zero interest in watching S.S. with GC.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#37Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:34pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I have zero interest in watching S.S. with GC.  "

Then DWI.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#38Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:39pm

Can anyone ballpark what 10 musicians cost a week?  What's the current minimum?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#39Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:45pm

I love how a post in The Post and Broadway world takes it as a confirmation.....Maybe someone should call Patti ( all beef that is ! ) 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#40Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:55pm

People complaining about this need to hop off and not ruin it for the rest of us. Nobody is making you go.

Updated On: 10/13/16 at 07:55 PM

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#41Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 8:43pm

I like Sunset Blvd very much, but I am not a fan of Glenn Close in it. She was anything but subtle in the role - - - it rivaled Faye Dunaway's performance in "Mommie Dearest". Now, Betty Buckley was a tour de force in the role and Diahann Carroll in the Canadian production was a nice surprise!

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#42Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 8:52pm

Assuming CATS is still open next year, Lord Webber is gonna have way too many of his shows running on Broadway at once. Lol

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#43Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 9:04pm

I'm assuming this is a short run. Until mid-June?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#44Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 10:25pm

ACL2006 - I think a few months ago when they first discussed this it was going to run from January - March... Here's hoping there isn't a lot of Blizzards this winter!

As much as I'd love to hear someone other than Glenn singing - as a huge Sunset Fan (saw it 10 times - 8 on Broadway, 2 on tour) I'll be there

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#45Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 10:43pm

January to March? That's not even 12 weeks! How will it ever recoup?

It will be a really tough competition with War Paint and Hello, Dolly! both open at the same time. I personally cannot wait. :)

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#46Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 10:52pm

What a starry season this is shaping up to be. Hunter and Jen had better get their "Give Broadway Back to Broadway" picket signs back out for this year's Tonys. 

RW3
#47Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/13/16 at 11:27pm

When do we think an official announcement will be made? If performances are going to start in January, tickets are going to have to go on sale soon.

Frumious Bandersnatch Profile Photo
Frumious Bandersnatch
#48Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/14/16 at 1:21am

"The New York Post has reported that Andrew Lloyd Webber's Norma Desmond bio-musical, "Sunset Boulevard," starring Glenn Close, has been confirmed for a Broadway revival at the Palace Theater this January."

BroadwayWorld is aware that Norma Desmond is a fictional character, yes?  And, even if she were real, the musical encompasses maybe 6 months of her life...

"When you start looking at your watch--as I do at other people's shows--you know you're in trouble." -Hal Prince

Far From Home Profile Photo
Far From Home
#49Glenn Close in Sunset Blvd revival
Posted: 10/14/16 at 2:59am

Broadwayhunk said: "Always felt Close was a bit horsey for the role.  Would love to see a film version, not a filmed stage version.

Don't insult the horse.

"