pixeltracker

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews- Page 5

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews

hannhannham
#100DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/19/16 at 10:59am

Was anyone else not blown away by this show? I saw it Saturday evening with the highest expectations based on reviews and postings here -- maybe a little too high. It's objectively a good show, and Platt is carrying it extremely well, but I did not leave amazed the way I thought I would - I can only remember two songs. Some would say this show is perfect for me on paper - a young person w/family issues and mental health issues - and Next to Normal is one of my favorite shows of all time - but for some reason this did NOT do it for me and I can't seem to find anyone who shares my opinion. 

Evan is the only character that's three dimensional - every other character in the show is stock - you knew exactly what they were going to do in every scene. The father had no reason to even exist - his song with Evan was forgettable. At least three times there was a scene with everyone yelling over each other. It seems they could have merged the family friend character and the overachiever girl character into one. The show is also majorly dating itself w/social media, Kickstarter, etc.

Like I said, it's definitely a good show. Ben Platt was the best part of it - and I fear it will close when he leave. I guess I feel like they should've changed more between DC - off - now. According to my friend who saw it Off, they changed very little. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#101DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/19/16 at 11:45am

I agree with many of your assesments of its flaws...why then do I still count myself amongst that loved it?  Because it hit an emotional chord with me, with my son, with the almost 50 people I brought with me to see it.  In spite of its flaws, I loved it.  The same way I loved the original Spring Awakening.   It made me FEEL.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#102DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/19/16 at 11:46am

The show is also majorly dating itself w/social media, Kickstarter, etc.

I don't agree. Just because it deals with contemporary online culture doesn't mean it's automatically dated. Closer is still one of the most frequently produced plays around, and it deals with Internet chat room culture in the mid-1990s.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#103DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/19/16 at 11:47am

There's nothing wrong with writing something that's of the moment.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

broadfan327
#104DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/19/16 at 12:57pm

As I was watching it I also thought it will become dated sooner than a musical should be.  It is a very good show, but I wasn't blown away by it either because of its flaws that were stated above.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#105DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/19/16 at 12:59pm

I'm sure there were people telling Galt McDermot that Hair was going to be hopelessly dated in ten years...

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

GhostXmasPast
#106DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/19/16 at 6:59pm

broadfan327 said: "As I was watching it I also thought it will become dated sooner than a musical should be.  It is a very good show, but I wasn't blown away by it either because of its flaws that were stated above.

"

Ahh yes - the old "dated show"  

what shows aren't dated?  "Great Comet?" - or Rent? Or Les Miz? - or older shows - Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma, The Music Man, - or more topically dated like Falsettos?  Perhaps Miss Saigon?  Grease?  Mary Poppins?  Chicago?  Phantom?  West Side Story?  Oliver?  Annie?  All associated with specific times and places.  Did you think The  Music Man was dated because Wells Fargo no longer delivers packages?  (Now, just fake accounts, sadly.)

So only "non date specific" shows can be long term classics?  In that case, Wicked and Lion King shall run forever.  All others consigned to the dusty, cobweb-filled room that reeks of rotten cabbage and stale smoke - known as "dated.

broadfan327
#107DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/19/16 at 7:57pm

I never said Dear Evan Hansen cannot be a long term classic, I said it will become dated faster than normal. All the shows you listed are dated, it doesn't mean they are bad.  I enjoy most of those shows you listed.  The book of the musical in twenty years if this is ever revived may have to be updated. Facebook, Kickstarter, Twitter, etc. may not exist, and the next generation may not know what those things are...The way we communicate online will probably change by then. 

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#108DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/29/16 at 4:18pm

I am flying to the East Coast next week, and this is my #2 show I have to see. I am traveling with some friends who are fairly conservative, and I am wondering if the content could be considered 'offensive' (I keep hearing references to Spring Awakening, so that makes me a bit nervous for them--that show was too much for them). I know the general synopsis, and I don't want any spoilers, but just wanted to make sure there was no nudity or other major content that would cause them to walk out. Please be kind...I am always afraid to post here. DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews Thank you.

boonanas
#109DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/29/16 at 4:19pm

No nudity at all.  There's cursing though.

defygravity2
#110DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/29/16 at 4:22pm

Cursing is fine....thank you for answering my question! 

HSky
#111DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/29/16 at 4:32pm

There are several sexual references but in the context of banter between high school friends. There is no nudity. Besides the occasional swear word, my guess as to the line they might be most sensitive about would be in the "Sincerely, Me" reprise, and you be the judge if you think they'd be offended:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

There's a lyric about "sucking dick for meth" but mentioning it out of full context makes it sound much, much darker than it is - the moment is played for laughs.

Updated On: 12/29/16 at 04:32 PM

defygravity2
#112DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 12/29/16 at 4:41pm

Thanks again...they will be fine with the high school banter. I am just SO glad I won't watch the second half alone. DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews 

sondheimfan3
#113DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 1/1/17 at 9:12pm

So, according to Twitter, understudy Michael Lee Brown went on tonight for Will Roland (Jared). Curious if anyone was in attendance and what they thought of Michael Lee Brown in the role. 

https://twitter.com/DearEvanHansen/status/815724580232904704

SarahNYC2
#114DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 1/1/17 at 10:28pm

I was-I thought he did a great job. 

I am so glad I saw the show. It's my last night in NYC-and it was a great show to end my 2 weeks of seeing Broadway shows. Ben Platt is hands down incredible in this role. 

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#115DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 1/1/17 at 11:37pm

He was great! It was his Broadway debut so that was awesome too. Super sweet guy too. I met him after the show at the Stage Door.

benmangini
#116DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/1/17 at 6:37pm

Anyone going tonight ? Olivia Puckett is on as Alana 

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#117DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/1/17 at 8:16pm

Would love to hear thoughts on Olivia as Alana^^

Was Ben Platt out today for either performance? He went to see School of Rock, wondering if he missed a performance for that or there was no show. This picture could also not be from today;

https://instagram.com/p/BP_S3shhsxr/

UPDATE: seems like there was no matinee today or next Wednesday, and instead they're doing two shows this and next Sunday. Makes sense why he was able to catch SoR.

Updated On: 2/1/17 at 08:16 PM

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#118DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/1/17 at 11:13pm

I was dying to see DEH. I am definitely an emotional theatre goer.  While I found Ben Platt amazing-honestly, one of the best performances I've ever seen, I found the musical kind of schmaltzy.  I liked it, but much less than I expected to. I agree that Evan is the only character with any real depth.  I also had some issues with plot/story elements.  It's probably my personal preferences but I would have made a few different choices. Maybe because I don't have kids--I could see the second act being quite moving for a parent, but it didn't give me the feels. I should be relieved because I expected to be completely taken by it.  I thought I'd need to see it 2 or 3 more times, and I don't.  Money saved! I totally expect Platt to get the Tony and I think it's richly deserved. 

djoko84
#119DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/2/17 at 8:26am

Has anyone sat in the box seats? I was thinking of buying the $69 tickets at the box office, but I wasn't sure how much of the show you miss.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#120DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/2/17 at 10:24am

djoko84 said: "Has anyone sat in the box seats? I was thinking of buying the $69 tickets at the box office, but I wasn't sure how much of the show you miss.

The box seats are awesome.  A little tight if you are sitting in either the first 2 sets, but you really don't miss anything.  The best deal on Broadway.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#121DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/2/17 at 10:39am

The seats in the box are moveable, so I don't know how the first two would have no leg room. Maybe the first two are fixed, I don't know.

A friend and I sat in seats 3 and 4. (I was on the inside.) My seat was the worst of the five seats up there, and I could see pretty well for most of the show. If the person in seat 1 leaned forward, though, she blocked my view a bit. Plus, you can't see anything on the far left side, under the box. But not much is happening in that spot beside entrances and a bit of the baseball glove scene.

Also, there are some times when the staging has Ben Platt facing audience right, which means you're looking at the back of his head. It was during a crucial scene in Act 2, though. Another time, during a song he's facing that way and Laura Dreyfuss is facing the other way, but Ben's head blocked hers completely so I couldn't see either one. But things like that are relatively brief.

But the sound is good up there, and for $69 I would say go for it. If you're in seat 4, ask the usher for a booster seat. Box seats are available only through the box office, as far as I know. Also, only one box is in use. The other box has what looks to be either the lighting booth or the sound booth.

Updated On: 2/2/17 at 10:39 AM

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#122DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/2/17 at 10:41am

Saw it last night...I cried...The second act is one of the strongest out there... BEN PLATT is good... But I will still be rooting for ANDY KARL (whom I saw already in LONDON and WILL! be seeing again)....What a competitive year!!!

OLIVIA PUCKETT was straight out of theater school... NEXT! Loved EVAN's mom though....I prefer STEPHANIE J. BLOCK in FALSETTOS but it'll be a good TONY win...

Cannot WAIT to use "WAVING THROUGH A WINDOW" for my auditions...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#123DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/2/17 at 11:02am

macnyc said: "The seats in the box are moveable, so I don't know how the first two would have no leg room. Maybe the first two are fixed, I don't know.

A friend and I sat in seats 3 and 4. (I was on the inside.) My seat was the worst of the five seats up there, and I could see pretty well for most of the show. If the person in seat 1 leaned forward, though, she blocked my view a bit. Plus, you can't see anything on the far left side, under the box. But not much is happening in that spot beside entrances and a bit of the baseball glove scene.

Also, there are some times when the staging has Ben Platt facing audience right, which means you're looking at the back of his head. It was during a crucial scene in Act 2, though. Another time, during a song he's facing that way and Laura Dreyfuss is facing the other way, but Ben's head blocked hers completely so I couldn't see either one. But things like that are relatively brief.

But the sound is good up there, and for $69 I would say go for it. If you're in seat 4, ask the usher for a booster seat. Box seats are available only through the box office, as far as I know. Also, only one box is in use. The other box has what looks to be either the lighting booth or the sound booth.

There is a slight step - not even a step, but perhaps a 1-2 inch step that prevents seats 1 and 2 from moving back, so your knees are right up against the box wall.  Perhaps Seat 2 is slightly better with more room, but I was sitting in seat 1 and it was tight.  I agree that seat 4 is probably the worst of the 5 seats there.  But for $69, I had no quibbles, especially since I saw the show Off Broadway and didn't want to spend money for a full price ticket.

djoko84
#124DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
Posted: 2/5/17 at 12:02am

Thanks so much to everyone who replied about the box seats. I'll definitely try to purchase them the next time I'm at the box office. I didn't the last time I was there because I wasn't sure if they were worth it, but now I feel better about it. I should've bought them when I had the chance. Hopefully, they'll have them available even if it's a couple of months from now.