pixeltracker

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 9:44am

The stars and producers of this season’s musicals can breathe a sigh of relief: there’s one less horse in the 2017 Tony Awards race. Producers of the revival of Sunday in the Park with George, which starts performances at the renovated Hudson Theatre on February 11, have announced their decision to withdraw the show from consideration for this year’s prizes.

A statement reads: "The producers of Sunday in the Park with George will not be submitting Hudson Theatre’s engagement of this New York City Center production for awards eligibility. With a season so full of tremendous, soon-to-be long-running new musicals and revivals, the producers feel this extremely limited, special run of Sunday stands most appropriately outside of any awards competition.  The production is nevertheless proud to be part of such a landmark Broadway season."

In a crowded season of musicals, Sunday would have found itself up against productions of Cats, Falsettos, Sunset Boulevard, Miss Saigon and Hello, Dolly! for one of four nominee slots in the Best Revival of a Musical category.

Even more competitive will be the 2017 acting categories. Hollywood star Jake Gyllenhaal, who received rave reviews for his performance as George in the production when it premiered at City Center Encores! last year, would have been a major contender in the Best Leading Actor in a Musical race, which could also includes turns by Jon Jon Briones (Miss Saigon), Corey Cott (Bandstand), Josh Groban (Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812), Andy Karl (Groundhog Day), Derek Klena (Anastasia), David Hyde Pierce (Hello, Dolly!), Bryce Pinkham (Holiday Inn), Ben Platt (Dear Evan Hansen), Bobby Conte Thornton (A Bronx Tale), Michael Xavier (Sunset Boulevard) and two-time winner Christian Borle, who should prove eligible twice for Falsettos and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

In the leading actress category, past winner Ashford will avoid a Tony night showdown opposite stars like Christy Altomare (Anastasia), Christine Ebersole (War Paint), Lora Lee Gayer (Holiday Inn), Patti LuPone (War Paint), Eva Noblezada (Miss Saigon), Laura Osnes (Bandstand), Phillipa Soo (Amelie) and, of course, Bette Midler, who is returning to Broadway musicals after a 50-year absence to play Mrs. Dolly Gallagher Levi in Hello, Dolly!.

Nominations for the 2017 Tony Awards will be announced on May 2. The 71st Annual Tony Awards will take place on June 11 at Radio City Music Hall.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/187487/exclusive-jake-gyllenhaal-annaleigh-ashford-sunday-in-the-park-with-george-wont-compete-in-2017-tony-awards-race/

Scott Rosson
#2SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 9:49am

Hey Sunday In The Park, do you want some Tony nominations ? No thanks I'm good.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 9:56am

This is so bizarre.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#4SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:00am

It is extremely bizzare. I hope there are conspiracy theories.

I guess that dashes my dreams of a 2 week extension, which people said might happen because of Tonys.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:02am

It's probably a money issue. If the show is only running for 10 weeks- and indeed it seems like it's a strict limit- then why give away free tickets to Tony voters? If the show wants to recoup in such a short time it doesn't really make sense to invite the voters. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#6SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:05am

Sort of upset....but what a beautiful way to display the shows message.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#7SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:05am

Makes sense, wonderwizard11.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

Cfried
#8SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:08am

This kind of breaks my heart. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#9SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:09am

WTF? This is so weird. I feel bad for Jake and Annaleigh because based on what I heard, they deserved to be recognized

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#10SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:10am

I guess 868 voters, assume 500 would see it for free.  Am I right to assume all are given two tickets?  So 1000 tickets at $200+ avg price is $200,000+ in potential ticket sales.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#11SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:11am

Do you guys think this will have any effect on a possible cast recording?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

JVJ93
#12SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:15am

This also, on the other hand, makes me question if this will in fact be fully staged and fully realized like we're expecting. Or just a pretty similar transfer of the NYCC concert. 

SueBee06
#13SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:17am

wonderfulwizard11 said: "It's probably a money issue. If the show is only running for 10 weeks- and indeed it seems like it's a strict limit- then why give away free tickets to Tony voters? If the show wants to recoup in such a short time it doesn't really make sense to invite the voters. 

"That was exactly my thought as soon as I saw the headline. They gain nothing by having it eligible. It's a limited run and not going to tour, so why give away seats?

Updated On: 2/3/17 at 10:17 AM

@z5
#14SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:18am

If this the true and complete reason, I really respect this decision.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
broadwayguy91
#16SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:26am

sorry for asking, but it's actually feasible for this production to RECOUP in TEN WEEKS?!? ...I mean, really?

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#17SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:27am

How punk rock - I love it! 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#18SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:27am

broadwayguy91 said: "sorry for asking, but it's actually feasible for this production to RECOUP in TEN WEEKS?!? ...I mean, really?

They've already said they don't expect to recoup.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#19SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:28am

Kind of ridiculous when you consider some of the other limited engagements out there... I hope I didn't pay $200 to see City Centers on Broadway.

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

broadwayguy91
#20SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:29am

little_sally said: "broadwayguy91 said: "sorry for asking, but it's actually feasible for this production to RECOUP in TEN WEEKS?!? ...I mean, really?

"

ah ok. I didn'r read about that before. thanks for the info. but someone above mentioned that one of the reasons for withdrawing was most likely not lose potential ticket sales due to Tony voters having to get comps. Which confuses me. If you're not expecting to recoup why not give this production a chance at the Tonys and possibly win some awards (for legacy's sake)?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:31am

The most unfortunate part of this is that Jake was 100% deserving of his first Tony nomination for his sensational George. 

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#22SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:31am

What the chance that they'll perform at the Tonys?? Wicked and Phantom werent up for anything a couple years ago either...

GreenGables Profile Photo
GreenGables
#23SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:33am

little_sally said: "broadwayguy91 said: "sorry for asking, but it's actually feasible for this production to RECOUP in TEN WEEKS?!? ...I mean, really?

"

Actually, only the NY Times said it would be difficult to recoup.  The producers (Lead: ATG) absolutely want the headline "George recoups as first show in the Hudson Theatre" so they can prove to future producers that this is a legitimate house than you can recoup your show in.

Editing the math above, the seats they would give tony voters are $350/$375 (orchestra level).  so at $600 a ticket, youre looking at giving away anywhere from $300k to $600k (depending on how many voters see it) in lost ticket sales.

Not saying I agree with the decision, but it at least make some sense.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#24SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:34am

I'm annoyed... Should I sell my ticket? I don't get it...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:35am

dianamorales said: "What the chance that they'll perform at the Tonys?? Wicked and Phantom weren't up for anything a couple years ago either..."

That's because they were celebrating major anniversaries.