pixeltracker

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility- Page 3

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:32am

Omg why do you keep ASSUMING jake is being a diva? 

pupscotch
#51SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:40am

Just out of curiosity, does this just mean they aren't giving free tickets? Could the Tonys, in theory, still nominate it? Or does it mean it will no longer be on the ballot for possible nominees? Does it mean they're not mounting a campaign? I'm still a little confused as to what exactly it entails.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#52SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:49am

Sounds completely like an economic decision. It's a 10 week run in a small theatre. They close almost two months before the Tony Awards. Why lose $250,000 of revenue to chase awards?

And for the poster who said it should only be about the art, not the star... Broadway has always been about stars, whenever you can get them. The production would not be happening at all were it not for Jake Gyllenhaal. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

AEA AGMA SM
#53SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:49am

"Just out of curiosity, does this just mean they aren't giving free tickets? Could the Tonys, in theory, still nominate it? Or does it mean it will no longer be on the ballot for possible nominees? Does it mean they're not mounting a campaign? I'm still a little confused as to what exactly it entails."

No, the nominating committee would not be able to give them a nomination unless the producers reverse course and end up inviting the Tony voters to come see the show and provide comps.

GreenGables Profile Photo
GreenGables
#54SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:50am

I'll give you that calling it Sunday in the Park with Jake is not totally out of line, but the march week off isnt exactly him being difficult, its just his press schedule (and I actually think it helps the show, given a lot of late night interviews will end with "and you can see him now through April in Sunday in the Park with George!"SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility.  He's above the title, so ticker buyers could ask for a refund if he wasnt there. 

This reminds me a lot of elephant man back in...2011 was it?  I don't think he's being a diva, and the tony decision was definitely a producer one, not his.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#55SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 11:59am

I would like to clarify something. I did NOT mean to imply that Jake is being a diva. That was said by someone else (not to throw anyone under the bus), and was not my intended implication. I don't know the guy, and certainly don't know if he's a diva. I apologize if that was unclear.

And I get that Broadway is about stars. I acknowledge that. But that doesn't mean it should be about stars, and it doesn't mean that this part of it can't annoy me slightly. Donald Trump is President, but that certainly doesn't mean he should be.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#56SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:11pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "I'm annoyed... Should I sell my ticket? I don't get it..."

You bought a ticket to see Sunday in the Park, and if you go there that day, you'll still see it? Not sure how they dissed you so personally for not giving away Tony seats... heh.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#57SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:22pm

No wonder you guys hate me LOL.... I'll see the show... Just bummed it may not get TONY attention because it's one of my all-time favorites and I've never seen it on stage... Excited, but with excitement comes the Skimbles' nerves LOL...

Lawd help you all when GROUNDHOG DAY opens... Maybe I will consider valium by then... LOL!! Sorry guys SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#58SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:24pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "No wonder you guys hate me LOL.... I'll see the show... Just bummed it may not get TONY attention because it's one of my all-time favorites and I've never seen it on stage... Excited, but with excitement comes the Skimbles' nerves LOL...

Lawd help you all when GROUNDHOG DAY opens... Maybe I will consider valium by then... LOL!! Sorry guys SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

"

I don't hate you. I agree with a couple of the points you've made. I just was confused by the consideration of selling your tickets.

Updated On: 2/3/17 at 12:24 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#59SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:32pm

I think people are reading way too much into this. Certain people have to calm down. Skimble, if it's one of your favorite shows and you've never seen it, why would you sell your ticket? A show doesn't need to be up for Tonys to be good. Take a breather. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#60SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:42pm

Even if Jake is being a diva, how would that affect getting Tony noms???

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#61SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:44pm

Awards a giant political game, and Sunday has never been an award darling.

Look at the season and what it can be considered for win. 

Revival: Hello Dolly and Sunset 

Leading Actor: Everyone agrees it's Ben's year. 

Leading Actress: Annaleigh Ashford recent winner up against every major Diva 

Technical awards: The show has already closed. 

So yeah why potentially give up thousands of dollars worth of seats, sink thousands more into a Tony campaign for a show that will have already closed, and is not attached to a non-profit. 

The art of making art. 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#62SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:50pm

I think this is wonderful news. Too much emphasis has been placed on awards. A show's success is now judged by the awards it receives (and/or if it moves to Broadway) and not it's artistic merit. If any of the cast members only signed on for the possibility of a Tony nom, then their heart is in the wrong place. As a society we've become obsessed with rankings and "the best" and it's a shame we're subjecting art to it in such a strong way. 

Now from a realist's perspective: the show will gain absolutely nothing from Tony Awards.

Still, I applaud this decision and I wish more shows would follow this path. The Tony Awards have become overblown and - in some ways - a poor representation of commercial theater.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#63SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:56pm

I hope there are conspiracy theories.

Why?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#64SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 12:57pm

I'd also be fairly sure that Jake was consulted before that decision was made. 

My seeing it has nothing to do with Tony Awards/Noms etc.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

wonkit
#65SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 1:02pm

I think this is a dignified and professional move by the producers. They understand that other shows, other worthy shows, need the Tony "bump" (as intangible as it sometimes is) to survive. They are not going to suffer financially with this limited run, so why not be gracious.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#66SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 1:30pm

Does anyone have any idea what the set will look like? Will there even be a set?? 

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#67SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 1:40pm

My inclination is to take the production's statement at face value and view it as manifesting an integrity that we should laud.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#68SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 1:51pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Even if Jake is being a diva, how would that affect getting Tony noms???"

Outsiders pissing off the Broadway establishment has definitely had ramifications come Tony time before.

10086sunset
#69SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 1:54pm

This is solely a financial decision...

They don't want to comp the Tony Voters...

I believe it's safe to assume this decision was likely made when they announced they were running for only 10 weeks...

Besides, the show doesn't need to be nominated or win anything...It will have already closed...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#70SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:00pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Does anyone have any idea what the set will look like? Will there even be a set?? 

"

You are being unbearable in this thread.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#71SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:02pm

Skimbleshanks2, why did you even buy a ticket if you're this worried about staging and sets? Perhaps you should've waited.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#72SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:03pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Does anyone have any idea what the set will look like? Will there even be a set?? "

Does anyone still need a set?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#73SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:04pm

Outsiders pissing off the Broadway establishment has definitely had ramifications come Tony time before.

Not nearly as often as insiders doing it, but yes, the Broadway community loves being exclusive and revels in the vilification of "outsiders" (even when being employed by them in long-running hit shows).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

aaaaaa15
#74SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 2:07pm

Jake has one of the best reputations of young Hollywood actors in terms of personality. Knowing this along with his admiration for the theatre industry, I sincerely doubt that he is being a diva.