pixeltracker

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility- Page 5

SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#100SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:26pm

It was deemed eligible recently, the list must not be updated.

AEA AGMA SM
#101SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/3/17 at 10:29pm

That is the list from the 2015-2016 rulebook, when the Hudson was not in use as a legitimate theatre.

The administration committee announced back in October after they met to determine eligibilities for Cats and Paramour that the Hudson will be considered Tony eligible.

http://www.playbill.com/article/tony-administration-committee-rules-on-cats-and-paramour

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#102SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 2:45am

N2n is correct. If he wasn't, there'd be joining reason for them to withdraw.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

brian1973
#103SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 5:28am

That is a really stupid idea. Like they'd do that.

broadwayguy91 said: "dianamorales said: "What the chance that they'll perform at the Tonys?? Wicked and Phantom werent up for anything a couple years ago either...

"

the show will be closed by then, I doubt they will perform

I still find it silly. If selling tickets is such a huge concern.. they could have filmed the production and organized a private viewing party / parties for the Tony voters. there are ways to work around it.. 

"

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#104SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 5:58am

Some others have pointed this out as well, but to me this makes total sense. It's not just the money they would lose for all the comps for Tony voters. The shows usually also spent a fair bit of money for the Tony campaign, including paying for a spot to perform.

Even f they might not expect to recoup, they still want to make as much money back as they possibly can.

Besides the prestige of winning the award, the shows do it because Tony wins will help them sell the show. Sunday will be closed even by the time the nominations will be announced, so they have nothing to gain from it. And this year is so crowded as it is, any nomination or more so a win would have been a long shot anyway.

Wilmingtom
#105SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 3:10pm

I understand that the producers ran the idea by the company for their thoughts.  Jake was the first to say, "I agree." and everyone else followed suit.  The financial ramifications have to do with the responsibility they have to their investors.  Also, in addition to the Tony voters, you have the folks from the Drama Desks, NY Drama Critics Circle, and Outer Critics Circle Awards.  All of those seats add up to a lot of the investors' money you're giving away, and for what return?  As for JG being a diva, speak with anyone involved in Little Shop or Sunday and they will dispel that myth.  "I'm here to learn so please push me hard." seemed to be his mantra.  

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#106SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 3:39pm

Interesting that they're now offering $49 seats...were those the ones saved for TONY voters...?

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#107SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 3:43pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Interesting that they're now offering $49 seats...were those the ones saved for TONY voters...?"

No, Tony voters typically get what would be premium seats. So, unless they are selling front-to-mid orchestra for $49...

asmith0307
#108SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 3:44pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Interesting that they're now offering $49 seats...were those the ones saved for TONY voters...?"

No, because this decision to not be Tony eligible was decided when the production was announced. Stop grasping at straws. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#109SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 4:13pm

Get your facts straight. They have always been offering $49 seats on certain dates. I bought four of them for March. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#110SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 5:04pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Interesting that they're now offering $49 seats...were those the ones saved for TONY voters...?

"

You're extremely annoying. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#111SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 5:53pm

Given Tony voters won't get comp'd seats for Sunday in the Park, do you think they will nonetheless pay the premium prices to grab a great seat to watch Jake & Annaleigh perform? After all, Tony voters are big fans of Broadway, right?

broadwayguy91
#112SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 8:50pm

obviously they're free to buy their own tix if they wish...

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#113SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/4/17 at 10:24pm

Wick3 said: "After all, Tony voters are big fans of Broadway, right?"

Tony voters have at least some connection to the business of Broadway, which might mean nothing more or nothing less.

Updated On: 2/4/17 at 10:24 PM

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#114SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 1:51am

Wick3 said: "Given Tony voters won't get comp'd seats for Sunday in the Park, do you think they will nonetheless pay the premium prices to grab a great seat to watch Jake & Annaleigh perform? After all, Tony voters are big fans of Broadway, right?"

Most Tony voters are likely at least able to get house seats (which are generally prime locations at regular orchestra price).

jimmycurry01
#115SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 1:59am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "I'd give it up because now I'm scared it's going to get canceled...

I don't need Valium... I just think BroadwayRox is right... This production is being catered to and likely held hostage by its star... I think there's more to it than the press release said... But maybe I'm just cynical...Or right...

"

Just stop.

Margo319
#116SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 6:55am

These tickets are quite a pretty penny.  I don't have the funds, but I hope it's amazing for people who have the opportunity to see it.  

I think it's a good move and it makes sense.  

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#117SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 10:24am

There are $49 balcony seats and rear orchestra seats as low as $129. These are affordable options. 

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#118SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 10:50am

ljay889 said: "There are $49 balcony seats and rear orchestra seats as low as $129. These are affordable options."

Affordable by Broadway standards, yes. But that is still out of reach for many people. Given the length of the run and the cost of mounting the production, I'm not saying they should be charging less - it's just the reality of the situation. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#119SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 11:05am

Some rushes are hitting $49 now, aren't they? I can see $129 rightfully being out of reach for some people, but If $40-$50 is impossible for some, they may need a new hobby. That range is starting to become the norm for the affordable options on Broadway.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#120SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 11:53am

ljay889 said: "Some rushes are hitting $49 now, aren't they? I can see $129 rightfully being out of reach for some people, but If $40-$50 is impossible for some, they may need a new hobby. That range is starting to become the norm for the affordable options on Broadway."

Yes, some rushes are certainly creeping up to those price ranges, but that does not make it any more affordable to certain classes of the population. Should it be, though? That's debatable in the realm of Broadway, and my answer would vary on a case-by-case basis with the intentions of the producing entity. For this production, I take no issue with the pricing scheme but still wanted to make the distinction that this should not be called affordable without qualifying the term.

And I would certainly hope that a lack of accessibility would not deter someone from giving up his/her hobby of attending the theatre all together.  

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#121SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 2:13pm

Look, SUNDAY is a great show. It was great in its initial run, the first revival with Jenna and Daniel was amazing, and the recent concert version was breathtaking. Let's all be glad that we have this chance to see one of the great musicals of the 20th century, which is happening because of Jake, and stop carping at him, rather than being grateful. A whole new audience will get to see why this show is held in such high regard, and for many people, is considered Sondheim's masterpiece.

Whateverjsays
#122SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 2:31pm

I'm loving the drama on this thread. 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#123SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 9:35pm

Whateverjsays said: "I'm loving the drama on this thread. 

"

Far more drama than the show, but I know mine is the minority opinion. I hope everyone who loves the show gets a chance to see it.

Broadway Bounce Profile Photo
Broadway Bounce
#124SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility
Posted: 2/5/17 at 10:06pm

....this particular production might as well be called "Sunday in the Park with Jake Gyllenhaal." Everything is about Jake. Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake. If Jake can't be in town, oh crap, might as well cancel the show.

So what would rather have?

A Broadway production of a superb Sondheim show that will never recoup its investment (even with a full run) unless it has star power to draw in non-traditional audiences?

or...

No production at all?

The choice is obvious.

Sharing the Broadway love with everyone every day on Instagram @broadway.bounce