pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances- Page 2

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/15/17 at 11:53am

I assume the pre-show pie service uses the work lights to facilitate the feeling of being in an actual cheap pie shop (and also to ensure safe and effective food service).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/15/17 at 11:53 AM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#26Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/15/17 at 11:55am

nasty_khakis said: "Canadian, those are work lights in that photo. The production, in London anyway, used mostly candle light to light with a few normal theatre lights. It's pretty dim and gloomy, but adds to the ambiance and mood. 

"

I saw a few photos of the audience in the house with the same bright lighting. I'm sure once the show starts  it gets more moody, but preshow seems to be lit very. brightly. 

nasty_khakis
#27Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/15/17 at 12:21pm

Oh sorry, yes. The best of my memory is pre show used florescents or something similar.

MinnieFay
#28Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/15/17 at 12:27pm

nasty_khakis said: "

." Similar to how Hello Dolly knows we're all going to see it again with Donna so they've essentially sold two tickets at once."

HUHH??  Do you REALLY think there will be a lot of repeat visitors who will come back just to see Donna Murphy (apart from the few dozen diehard "I MUST SEE EVERYTHING" fans who post on these forums)?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#29Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/15/17 at 9:25pm

Is there a Playbill for this? Hoping there is, and that it's got a clever design for the cover instead of the razor...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#30Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/15/17 at 9:27pm

Limelight: there's a few playbill shots on the theater's Instagram page! It looks like it's just the same marketing materials they've already been using...

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/313313640/

Updated On: 2/15/17 at 09:27 PM

Hamilfan2
#31Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/15/17 at 10:08pm

Anyone going to this able to grab me an extra Playbill? (If they even have then)

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#32Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/15/17 at 11:19pm

Was anyone here there tonight?

ahhrealmonsters
#33Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 10:34am

I was there last night. It was very bright- the work/house lights are on during the pre-show pie. I was upstairs, in the second (last) row (there are only 2 rows upstairs). I had a seat downstairs during the pie, as there was no table/space to eat upstairs, and then was moved upstairs for the show.

Once the show started, the lighting got a lot darker. I loved it. The view upstairs (especially in the second row) was definitely limited, but most of the action happens by the pie booth & stairs. Despite it being and innovative/immersive/site-specific production, most of the performances felt very standard, particularly the actor playing Sweeney. I thought the actress playing Mrs. Lovett didn't have a very good singing voice, which was jarring compared to the other women in the cast. Betsy Morgan was the stand-out performer of the show. I saw her in First Daughter's Suite, and she continues to shine onstage - she's also pretty visibly pregnant, so I don't know if she'll leave early/need a replacement.

All in all, it was a great night. The house is tiny, and the whole show was very intimate, yet there seemed to be a lot of partial view seats. There was a marriage proposal after curtain call.

Also, the audience has to leave the house during intermission. And programs are given out after the show.

icecreambenjamin
#34Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 11:00am

How was the orchestra?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#35Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 11:02am

ahhreal, there's no counter for the upstairs seats? I'll also be sitting in the second row upstairs.

It does say on the seating chart that those seats are partial view, something that I failed to take note of when I bought my tickets! How much would you say you missed?

Updated On: 2/16/17 at 11:02 AM

ahhrealmonsters
#36Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 11:27am

icecream - It was a 3 piece orchestra. Piano, violin, and clarinet. Some of the orchestrations didn't sound familiar to my ear (I know the score fairly well), which was a little distracting, but overall, it was effective.

mac- There's a counter for the first row, not the second. I actually enjoyed being in the main area for eating, as there was more space. As for the view upstairs, it definitely looked like the first row had a better view than the second. I had to look between the heads of people in front of me, plus the banister in front of them. Most of the action is viewable, it's just the "immersive" part that's hard to see.

TheaterGal3
#37Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 12:28pm

I am seeing this tonight and seated at the counter in the last row upstairs. Hope I won't be too upset with the view. Sounds like it might be okay, though. I have a ticket my friends and I aren't able to use tonight. Does anyone know if the date for one ticket can be changed? I've never had this happen before and I'm not familiar with the policies theaters have for this situation. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions on what to do!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 1:48pm

nasty_khakis said: "Similar to how Hello Dolly knows we're all going to see it again with Donna so they've essentially sold two tickets at once."

I have tickets to see Bette twice in the run, but none for Donna...

stlrod
#39Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 1:49pm

TheaterGal3 said: "I am seeing this tonight and seated at the counter in the last row upstairs. Hope I won't be too upset with the view. Sounds like it might be okay, though. I have a ticket my friends and I aren't able to use tonight. Does anyone know if the date for one ticket can be changed? I've never had this happen before and I'm not familiar with the policies theaters have for this situation. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions on what to do!
No changes no cancellations.  Will only post date for day of performance availability.  Talked to box office today when flight seriously delayed.

"

Updated On: 2/16/17 at 01:49 PM

TheaterGal3
#40Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 2:02pm

stlrod said: "TheaterGal3 said: "I am seeing this tonight and seated at the counter in the last row upstairs. Hope I won't be too upset with the view. Sounds like it might be okay, though. I have a ticket my friends and I aren't able to use tonight. Does anyone know if the date for one ticket can be changed? I've never had this happen before and I'm not familiar with the policies theaters have for this situation. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions on what to do!
No changes no cancellations.  Will only post date for day of performance availability.  Talked to box office today when flight seriously delayed.

Ahh okay. Thank you!

"

"

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#41Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 2:06pm

mac- There's a counter for the first row, not the second. I actually enjoyed being in the main area for eating, as there was more space. As for the view upstairs, it definitely looked like the first row had a better view than the second. I had to look between the heads of people in front of me, plus the banister in front of them. Most of the action is viewable, it's just the "immersive" part that's hard to see."

Thanks for the info! I really don't care that much about the immersive aspect of the performance, although that's certainly a huge part of the appeal. I just want to see and hear it.

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#42Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 2:18pm

Does the loud whistle make an appearance in this production?

ahhrealmonsters
#43Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 3:33pm

Drewski - Yep. It's being played (whistled?) by the pianist.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#44Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 7:18pm

Snide remarks aside... is this show creepier than any other carnations because of the immersiveness? I would assume the subject matter mixed with the immersive seating allowes them to truly shake up the audience. 

icecreambenjamin
#45Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 8:54pm

I would really like to hear some more about this production.  Did anyone see if they had any windowcards?

boonanas
#46Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/16/17 at 9:02pm

icecreambenjamin said: "I would really like to hear some more about this production.  Did anyone see if they had any windowcards?

"

They have a poster for sale not sure if it's considered a window card 

characterism
#47Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 11:51am

I have tickets (with pies) for the second row upstairs in May and I just noticed on their website that those seats are now not able to purchase pies. I really hope that doesn't mean when we get there we'll be turned away for the food...

Also, when I purchased the tickets those seats were not listed as partial view, and now are (as others are mentioning)

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#48Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 11:55am

characterism said: "I have tickets (with pies) for the second row upstairs in May and I just noticed on their website that those seats are now not able to purchase pies. I really hope that doesn't mean when we get there we'll be turned away for the food...

Also, when I purchased the tickets those seats were not listed as partial view, and now are (as others are mentioning)
"

I heard you will be seated downstairs to eat your pie before the show starts and then moved back up to the second row of mezz to watch the remainder of the show. When I went to the box office to buy my mezz seats they stated there is fog/haze or something like that up there for a scene or two. I'm still quite excited though and looking forward seeing this!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#49Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 12:14pm

I also purchased the second row upstairs, a few weeks ago, and I don't remember it being labeled as being partial view.

Also, my receipt doesn't say anything about partial view, so I bet that was added later.

Wick, did you get the first row or the second row? I don't mind fog or haze for a couple of scenes. But ahhrealmonsters was saying upthread that he (or she) had to look between the heads of the people in the first row and also see over the bar. That doesn't sound too good.

Updated On: 2/17/17 at 12:14 PM