pixeltracker

THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews- Page 4

THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#75THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 9:22am

Overall, I found this very enjoyable. It's a lot of fun and the cast is excellent (the standout, for me, was Henry Lewis.) Yes, some bits you've seen again and again if you've seen farce, and some things do get tedious but it's a good time at the theater. I don't think it'll be nominated for Best Play, what with such heavier competition, but I can see it getting an actor nom or two and a nom for Best Set.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#76THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 10:06am

Glad to read that many on here are enjoying it. I'm seeing it on a double-show day as well, with the final performance of Sunday at the matinee then this at the Sunday evening. So quite a contrast, but after several days of seeing some pretty heavy shows, I thought it would be good to end with a comedy.

Have the houses been fairly full this week? I find it sometimes stifles a comedy, whether it's a play or a film, when the audience is sparse.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before
Updated On: 3/17/17 at 10:06 AM

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#77THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 10:17am

Weird double post.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before
Updated On: 3/17/17 at 10:17 AM

little_sally
#78THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 10:42am

I cannot speak for the mezz or balcony but the orchestra was packed last night. The audience was very receptive as well.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#79THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 11:27am

The thing about farces is that they need to build in order to work.  They should get more and more ridiculous and fast-paced as the show goes on.  The problem with THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG is that it starts at 10 and has nowhere to go from there.  

The jokes get tired very quickly and the show could easily be an hour with no intermission.  It's all well-executed enough and the actors are all very game, but the shtick gets old after thirty minutes.  There is literally no plot  - it's just a barrage of things going wrong for two hours. How many times can we laugh at the set falling apart?

It's no ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS, which was infinitely better in every way.  I just kept wishing I was seeing that again...

It's harmless and segments of the show are definitely entertaining, but it goes on for too long and they should be charging like $20-30 for every seat in the house, because if you're paying more than that, you're getting ripped off.

Updated On: 3/17/17 at 11:27 AM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#80THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 11:40am

J.J. Abrams was on with Jimmy Fallon last night, doing some promotion for the show. The writers also came out, and did a bit featuring the physical comedy that I'm assuming is a large part of the production. I was considering seeing it, but I'm no longer interested. That style of comedy doesn't appeal to me. Here's the segment, for anyone who's interested:

https://youtu.be/SAlfWgSTlDY

HBBrock
#81THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 12:13pm

For those who have sat in the front row, how is it? How high is the stage?

little_sally
#82THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 12:24pm

CT2NYC said: "J.J. Abrams was on with Jimmy Fallon last night, doing some promotion for the show. The writers also came out, and did a bit featuring the physical comedy that I'm assuming is a large part of the production. I was considering seeing it, but I'm no longer interested. That style of comedy doesn't appeal to me. Here's the segment, for anyone who's interested:

I found that clip to be painfully unfunny but I wouldn't let that deter you from the show. It's not all like that.

"

broadwayrocks2
#83THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 12:49pm

HBBrock said: "For those who have sat in the front row, how is it? How high is the stage?

its about 45 inches from the house floor to the top of the show deck. The show deck is only floor planks that are 1 inch thick , so its not much higher than the stage floor of the Lyceum. There may be a moment here or there when you are looking up if the action is way downstage . Its a fun show . 

Roscoe
#84THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 3:12pm

Front row seats will miss some business involving the window because it is blocked by the sofa -- you'll know what I mean.  Otherwise it's fine.  Overall it's an amusing time-killer, some good laughs.  As noted, profound it ain't.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#85THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/17/17 at 8:21pm

Saw it two nights ago and for the most part I had a great time. By the end of Act One, I was exhausted from laughing (though I was bored of that "repetition" bit) but worried it would be more of the same in Act Two, so I thought I'd need something different to keep my interest after intermission. Yes, it was more of the same silliness, but it was taken to such extremes I didn't realize possible that I couldn't help but laugh myself silly all over again. If you just need to laugh for two hours, this is a great choice. You just leave on a goofy high.

One major issue I had with the show - dare I say SPOILERISH???  I really did take issue with the two women fighting each other instead of just working to get to the end of the thing, like the other characters. Firstly, it felt out of place, and secondly, it felt like it was lazy to have that be such a big conflict in part of Act Two. I also didn't really get why the SM became so crazy at the end in the first place. Why was it she that had to go psycho? I dunno. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#86THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 12:34am

little_sally said: "CT2NYC said: "J.J. Abrams was on with Jimmy Fallon last night, doing some promotion for the show. The writers also came out, and did a bit featuring the physical comedy that I'm assuming is a large part of the production. I was considering seeing it, but I'm no longer interested. That style of comedy doesn't appeal to me. Here's the segment, for anyone who's interested:

I found that clip to be painfully unfunny but I wouldn't let that deter you from the show. It's not all like that.

Thanks for the info, little_sally. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#87THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 11:25am

I caught the show earlier this week and thought it was one of the absolute funniest things I’ve seen on Broadway in years. Like, belly laughter-funny! One of the show’s main criticisms on here, it seems, stem from the fact that it’s a farce that doesn’t commit to giving much—or any—exposition or character development prior to the hilarity. I (and it seemed like the vast majority of the audience) didn’t mind that one bit. Yes, it gets going immediately from the very top, but it employs literally every farcical device in the book over its progression that for me, it never got old.

Though there wasn’t really a “standout” performance per se (this is a brilliantly crafted ensemble piece), I have to give a shoutout to Dave Hearn’s performance—he had the audience eating out of his hand!

I’m not sure how much Tony voters will love this show, but I’m hoping they’ll give it a good amount of praise. Of anything, that ingenious set deserves Scenic Design nomination…it’s brilliantly done.

Two hours in the theatre haven’t flown by so quickly for me in a long time. I adored this show. It's escapist theatre at its finest.

Updated On: 3/18/17 at 11:25 AM

little_sally
#88THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 4:52pm

everythingtaboo said: "Saw it two nights ago and for the most part I had a great time. By the end of Act One, I was exhausted from laughing (though I was bored of that "repetition" bit) but worried it would be more of the same in Act Two, so I thought I'd need something different to keep my interest after intermission. Yes, it was more of the same silliness, but it was taken to such extremes I didn't realize possible that I couldn't help but laugh myself silly all over again. If you just need to laugh for two hours, this is a great choice. You just leave on a goofy high.

One major issue I had with the show - dare I say SPOILERISH???  I really did take issue with the two women fighting each other instead of just working to get to the end of the thing, like the other characters. Firstly, it felt out of place, and secondly, it felt like it was lazy to have that be such a big conflict in part of Act Two. I also didn't really get why the SM became so crazy at the end in the first place. Why was it she that had to go psycho? I dunno. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

That bit was my biggest problem with the play too. It was so tedious and felt so out of place, and wasn't funny at all. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#89THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/18/17 at 10:01pm

I agree that the rivalry between the two women was overplayed a bit, but it was fun to watch! 

One thing the show did really well was show how these "amateur" performers started to enjoy being in the spotlight. I think that's what happened when the stage manager was pressed into service as the understudy. She came to like performing so much that she didn't want to give it up when the original actress had recovered enough to return.

Overall I liked the show very much and thought it was clever. I tend to find Noises Off kind of tedious, so I enjoyed this show's simpler approach. I loved the destruction of the set and all the pratfalls. Yes, I do love silly humor. 

I agree with posters who said this should be cut down to an energetic 90-minute one-act. The show as it is is just too long, and with all the action and the actors' tendency to shout their lines, I had a bit of a headache at the end from sensory overload.

My friend and I had the $25 seats, and ours were in the first-row mezzanine on an aisle. Great view from there!

Updated On: 3/18/17 at 10:01 PM

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#90THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:08am

What a night?! I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. I loved every minute of this show. It's such a great night of unbridled fun and merriment. From the moment we stepped inside the "pre-show" interaction set the stage for a night of pure fun. There was bit of a snafu at the opening of Act 2 and Henry Shields was swapped out for Matthew Cavendish. We were told later that Henry hurt his neck at the climax of Act 1 and they asked him to sit it out. They also mentioned it was Matt Cavendish' Broadway debut at the curtain, which was met with a round of applause. That's a live farce for you!

I just have a few questions for people who've seen the show if you may:

****** Spoilers Ahead ******

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

In the first and second acts there were a few times when audience members yelled out things/whistled. Did this happy at all the performances so far? At one point when Henry was looking for the ledger, an audience member said "It's under the chair." Then Henry went on a rant about how he hated the audience for calling out and that we were all laughing to much.

Another part was when Dave and Rob had to kiss in Act 2 (while he was filling in). An audience member whistled when they heard they had to kiss and the two men did a full on kiss for about 3 seconds. The audience erupted into laughter and then proceeded to clap while both men smiled.

Also in Act 2 the audience chimed in, when Rob forgot how many times he banged the bell for the clock to strike 12, and counted along with him.****** End of Spoiler *****

Sidenote: Dave Hearn is truly walking away with the show. He milks every line and or pratfall for everything that it is worth. Doesn't hurt that he isn't to bad to look at and has a beautiful smile to boot.

Updated On: 3/21/17 at 01:08 AM

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#91THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 7:53am

All of those things happened at my performance too, it was all really really funny, glad to know they keep it fresh every time as if it were on the spot

LJD123
#92THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 6:40am

THANKS macnyc,  My daughter is very short, just want to know if it was difficult to see over the railing if we are front row mezz???

I think my children will love this show!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#93THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 7:16am

You won't have any problem with the mezzanine railing! My friend and I were commenting on that. She's short too! Great view from there. 

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#94THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:33am

I just picked up two Rush tickets for tonight. Got there right at 10:00 and was second in line. My seats are D12-14 in the Orchestra labeled partial view. I know people on this thread have complained about D13-15 and house left partial views. Anyone have experience with the far house right sightlines?

The Rush is the same price as the balcony so I'm wondering which is truly the better choice.

"In here, life is beautiful"

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#95THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:41am

TheLadyoftheWood said: "Sidenote: Dave Hearn is truly walking away with the show. He milks every line and or pratfall for everything that it is worth. Doesn't hurt that he isn't to bad to look at and has a beautiful smile to boot."

I couldn't agree more! I'd love it if he got a Tony nomination... I saw the show now over a week and a half ago, and I'm still thinking about how hilarious he was. It's a great ensemble piece, but I really thought Hearn was a big standout.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#96THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 10:42am

CT2NYC said: "J.J. Abrams was on with Jimmy Fallon last night, doing some promotion for the show. The writers also came out, and did a bit featuring the physical comedy that I'm assuming is a large part of the production. I was considering seeing it, but I'm no longer interested. That style of comedy doesn't appeal to me. Here's the segment, for anyone who's interested:

"

I got through two minutes before shutting it off.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

JSquared2
#97THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 11:59am

nrocke731 said: "I just picked up two Rush tickets for tonight. Got there right at 10:00 and was second in line. My seats are D12-14 in the Orchestra labeled partial view. I know people on this thread have complained about D13-15 and house left partial views. Anyone have experience with the far house right sightlines?

The Rush is the same price as the balcony so I'm wondering which is truly the better choice.
"

Although neither "partial view" locs are great --- house right (the even numbered seats) is much better than house left (odd-numbered).  The first rows of the balcony are probably better than the partial views.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#98THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 8:32pm

My family saw this today--funniest thing we have seen in years! Laughed more at this then One Man Two Guvnors and Noises Off. While the plot isn't deep, we were wiping tears from our eyes throughout the whole show.

dres40
#99THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG Previews
Posted: 3/25/17 at 9:58pm

Used BroadwayBox to get discounts tickets in May.  Theatermania was only up to the end of  April.  Got 2nd row center.  I hope that's not too close!