pixeltracker

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews- Page 12

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#275CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:38am

Well, I'm glad to hear Emily Padgett will be free to do "Sweet Charity" when it transfers!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#276CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:52am

wonderfulwizard11 said: "The idea of Wonka meeting up with Charlie outside of the factory is somehow worse than the shoehorned backstory the Burton remake gave to the character. 

By the sound of it, it seems like the creative team has completely missed the mark on what made both the book and the Wilder film work.
"

In the London version -directed by Mendes - and since it's closed, I guess it's no longer a spoiler - Wonka does interact with Charlie several times in Act One. Only, we don't know that it's Wonka. It's more of a "mysterious man" from Into the Woods.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#277CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:15am

Maybe as someone said--they are waiting for the sets to arrive.....and the new music.....and the new story.

Could be a new song called..'Maybe'.........if you just believe.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#278CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:29am

Now I'm curious to read the book. I mean, why would they feel like Wonka needed to meet Charlie beforehand? Why not have all the kids give a montage type song where they all get their tickets. And then enter the factory. And Act 1 could end with charlie and his dad leaving the tour/doing their own thing? 

Broadway Bounce Profile Photo
Broadway Bounce
#279CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:31am

I walked by the Lunt-Fontanne stage door and saw an empty cardboard box.

Why are they already throwing out expensive set pieces?

Sharing the Broadway love with everyone every day on Instagram @broadway.bounce

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#280CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 3:09am

ggersten said: "wonderfulwizard11 said: "The idea of Wonka meeting up with Charlie outside of the factory is somehow worse than the shoehorned backstory the Burton remake gave to the character. 

By the sound of it, it seems like the creative team has completely missed the mark on what made both the book and the Wilder film work.
"

In the London version -directed by Mendes - and since it's closed, I guess it's no longer a spoiler - Wonka does interact with Charlie several times in Act One. Only, we don't know that it's Wonka. It's more of a "mysterious man" from Into the Woods.
"

RippedMan said: "Now I'm curious to read the book. I mean, why would they feel like Wonka needed to meet Charlie beforehand? Why not have all the kids give a montage type song where they all get their tickets. And then enter the factory. And Act 1 could end with charlie and his dad leaving the tour/doing their own thing? "

Who knows their reasoning? I mean I can come up with a few ideas yet all of them are still dumb. On one hand, since it takes so long to introduce Wonka AS Wonka in the show, it gives the actor playing him more time on stage. A second thing would be that they want to build a better relationship between the two of them so that when Wonka ultimately picks Charlie it seems more justified. But....... yeah both of those are still dumb reasons because if they CUT all of the Wonka and Charlie meeting before the factory stuff, it might also fix BOTH of those issues AND SOME! 

It would get them into the factory earlier in the show, getting Wonka on stage sooner, and still give them the time to development a bond while IN the factory.

Act 1 should be ending on the WOW factor of seeing a super imaginative and amazing candy room for the first time. (If you have gotten this far into the topic, you know from reports that they don't HAVE that in this show but I'm staying it's what SHOULD be there). End act one with Augustus falling into the river and the bit of chaos in the moments after that but leave his fate until after the intermission. Open it on the Oompa loompas singing his "goodbye song." You get the factory before the end of act 1, you are ending it on moment that people are be going into the show anticipating, and you can still save the oompa loompas for the opening of act 2 to give the audience something else to anticipate. 

I mean I thought that getting to the factory sooner would be an OBVIOUS change to make after so many people complained about waiting until act 2 to see it in the West End production. Of all the reviews I read from people that saw it, that was the ONE consistent complaint that the majority of them had. It seems like it should have been a no brainier here.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#281CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 6:06am

Wow, who would have guessed they could have made it worse than the London production. Bravo it warners theatrical.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#282CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 7:23am

After reading some posts about Mendes and his involvement or lack thereof, I'm reminded of several projects I've worked where where a big name is attached as an exec-producer but has literally zero involvement - financial or otherwise. They stand to make money if it succeeds but don't lose anything if it fails. Sometimes they lend their name as a simple courtesy. Trump is currently the exec producer on Apprentice but has zero involvement. He's only licensed his name or has another arrangement with Burnett. 

I'm also wondering if there's some copyright issues with Mendes' original London version. Perhaps a large chunk of what he created had to be scrapped because he refused to let O'Brien take credit for his ideas despite having his name attached as an EP. It could be an ego thing. It happens often.

I have no involvement with this show nor do I have friends involved. I'm only offering this as a suggestion as to why this is as awful as everyone says it is.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#283CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 7:33am

I would have loved to see a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory directed by Darko Tresnjak or Susan Stroman. This production sounds like a disaster.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#284CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 7:35am

I think this is going to be one of the biggest creative failures on Broadway. They had beautiful and fun material handed to them on a silver platter. How the hell is it even possible to screw this show up perfectly?! 

HenryTDobson
#285CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 7:39am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I think this is going to be one of the biggest creative failures on Broadway. They had beautiful and fun material handed to them on a silver platter. How the hell is it even possible to screw this show up perfectly?! 

"

What makes it sad is to think of the great success of Matilda. Dahl's material lends itself perfectly to creativity and musicality, something this current production lacks.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#286CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 7:43am

RW3 said: "So they couldn't just put Borle in a wig instead of making him shave his head?

Just to clarify, Borle didn't shave his head. His baldness is courtesy of a wig, and when he drops the disguise and becomes Wonka again his natural hair is back.

To give another example of how misguided this production is, let me describe the top of the show. The curtain goes up to reveal a little clock tower type structure. Borle walks out from behind it in top hat and waistcoat, but with his back to the audience. He then simply turns around and we see he is brushing his teeth. (It's completely bizarre star non-entrance; surely there are other ways give Wonka's first appearance more oomph.)

But, back to the teeth brushing...In between each brush and spit Wonka tries on different accents to decide what person he will be today. The first time we hear him speak it is in a thick, "redneck" type accent. At first I thought, good god, could this be the most misguided character choice in history to make Wonka a hillbilly? The audience was obviously confused too and the line was met with crickets. Then he tried on the next accent- the audience caught on to the joke set up- but that doesn't mean they laughed much this time either. He finally settles on his own voice and then sings Candy Man on an essentially empty stage. 

I understand the impulse to let Borle do all this voices (well certainly not at the top of the show, but maybe later while on the factory tour) because this is the sort of zany, over the top shtick at which he so excels. The bit just isn't nearly funny enough to A) kick off the show or B) be our introduction to the beloved character. The larger dramaturgical issue is the question: for whom is Wonka trying on personas? He's a complete hermit, speaking (I presume) only to the Oompa Loompas and there's no need to be anyone but himself.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RJ14
#287CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 7:47am

Well I guess this show is a world of poor imaginationwink

HenryTDobson
#288CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 7:50am

WhizzerMarvin said: "RW3 said: "So they couldn't just put Borle in a wig instead of making him shave his head?

Just to clarify, Borle didn't shave his head. His baldness is courtesy of a wig, and when he drops the disguise and becomes Wonka again his natural hair is back.

"

I think he did shave his head... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtY4wz3o3u4 

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 07:50 AM

RW3
#289CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 7:57am

WhizzerMarvin said: "RW3 said: "So they couldn't just put Borle in a wig instead of making him shave his head?

To give another example of how misguided this production is, let me describe the top of the show. The curtain goes up to reveal a little clock tower type structure. Borle walks out from behind it in top hat and waistcoat, but with his back to the audience. He then simply turns around and we see he is brushing his teeth. (It's completely bizarre star non-entrance; surely there are other ways give Wonka's first appearance more oomph.)

But, back to the teeth brushing...In between each brush and spit Wonka tries on different accents to decide what person he will be today. The first time we hear him speak it is in a thick, "redneck" type accent. At first I thought, good god, could this be the most misguided character choice in history to make Wonka a hillbilly? The audience was obviously confused too and the line was met with crickets. Then he tried on the next accent- the audience caught on to the joke set up- but that doesn't mean they laughed much this time either. He finally settles on his own voice and then sings Candy Man on an essentially empty stage. 

I understand the impulse to let Borle do all this voices (well certainly not at the top of the show, but maybe later while on the factory tour) because this is the sort of zany, over the top shtick at which he so excels. The bit just isn't nearly funny enough to A) kick off the show or B) be our introduction to the beloved character. The larger dramaturgical issue is the question: for whom is Wonka trying on personas? He's a complete hermit, speaking (I presume) only to the Oompa Loompas and there's no need to be anyone but himself.

Whizzer, it is almost 7am my time and the fact that he isn't actually bald has just rocked my morning. What in the actual hell. 

FrontLtGuy
#290CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:15am

RW3 said: "WhizzerMarvin said: "RW3 said: "So they couldn't just put Borle in a wig instead of making him shave his head?

Whizzer, it is almost 7am my time and the fact that he isn't actually bald has just rocked my morning. What in the actual hell. 

"

He did actually shave his head 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#291CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:23am

It may be a good time to note that the director of this piece is about to turn 78 years old and has been suffering health issues for quite some time. With a book writer with no musical theatre experience, and a songwriting team with only one successful score to their names - these facts may have something to do with the production's flaws.

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 08:23 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#292CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:36am

He did actually shave his head 

Thanks for the correction, though I think he's still wearing a wig when undercover as he has long, wispy strands of hair coming out along the back and sides of his skull. Kind of like a thinned out Ben Franklin look. His Wonka wig looks remarkably like his normal hair! 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Flacd
#293CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:41am

Someone who can tell about the "It Must be believ to be seen" scene? And what about the two TV reporters?

FrontLtGuy
#294CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:45am

newintown said: "It may be a good time to note that the director of this piece is about to turn 78 years old and has been suffering health issues for quite some time. With a book writer with no musical theatre exxperience, and a songwriting team with only one successful score to their names - these facts may have something to do with the production's flaws.

"

I think Jack is a great director. I don't think it has much to do with his heath. I think it's just a crap book and a crap score, and I think that is clear because many people thought it was also crap in London, even if it had better scenery 

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 08:45 AM

BroadwayMomma
#295CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:19am

WhizzerMarvin said: "He did actually shave his head 

Thanks for the correction, though I think he's still wearing a wig when undercover as he has long, wispy strands of hair coming out along the back and sides of his skull. Kind of like a thinned out Ben Franklin look. His Wonka wig looks remarkably like his normal hair! 

This just keeps getting better and better.  

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#296CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:41am

These reports are downright shocking. I will say this much, despite their mixed reception so far, AMELIE and GROUNDHOG DAY are probably looking like freaking masterpieces right about now.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

neonlightsxo
#297CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:48am

Getting out my credit card BECAUSE of Whizzer's review

catalana3
#298CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:49am

Scarywarhol said: "Surely everyone involved in this realized that the Chocolate Room had to be absolutely spectacular. Like, surely it is understood that everyone potentially driving a core audience for this show wants to see that. What the hell. 

"

I disagree with most of the comments that say that this is a high school production, but the chocolate room is so underwhelming, as is the way Agustus falls into the river. I get that everything is minimalistic, but when the chocolate room came out as a amall set piece rather than turning the entire stage into this magical place, I was really bummed. 

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#299CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:55am

GreasedLightning said: "A quick Google search provided two pieces of information that I found interesting and worth sharing: 

1. Mendes is a producer of the Broadway production, which seems strange. 

2. West End previews were delayed 5 days due to an "unforeseen missing piece of set that was not delivered on time by the contractor," which also seems strange. 

"

There is actually a program that showed basically the process of creating Charlie for the West End. It explains what your second point is. I watched it a long time ago but from what I remember the glass elevator just was not working properly. It's a really interesting special if you want to watch it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpqjD_XXj00