pixeltracker

Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS

Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 8:54pm

He likes the production and all out gushes over Amber Riley, comparing the reception she's getting to what's being afforded to Bette in HELLO, DOLLY! here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/theater/review-a-souped-up-dreamgirls-roars-in-london.html?smid=tw-nyttheater

A very good omen for a transfer.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 4/30/17 at 08:54 PM

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#2Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 9:02pm

Amber misses more shows than she actually does tho.   How do we think that is going to fly if she is the headliner here?  It took me four viewings over two trips to catch her performance, and it was definitely worth it.  She definitely deserved the Olivier over Glenn Close, which is saying a lot but London audiences are more calm and collected than Americans and they are never entitled to a refund if a performer is out. I don't think New York theatre goers are going to let that pass, even if her name is'nt above the title.  

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#3Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 11:22pm

Just_John said: "Amber misses more shows than she actually does tho.   How do we think that is going to fly if she is the headliner here?  It took me four viewings over two trips to catch her performance, and it was definitely worth it.  She definitely deserved the Olivier over Glenn Close, which is saying a lot but London audiences are more calm and collected than Americans and they are never entitled to a refund if a performer is out. I don't think New York theatre goers are going to let that pass, even if her name is'nt above the title.  "

lol why wouldn't it fly? isn't that basically what happened with Alex Brightman in School of Rock? pretty sure the theatergoers "letting it pass" isn't really a thing.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Sondheim_Disney1595
#4Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 11:43pm

lol why wouldn't it fly? isn't that basically what happened with Alex Brightman in School of Rock? pretty sure the theatergoers "letting it pass" isn't really a thing.

"

Alex Brightman wasn't on Glee

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#5Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 11:52pm

Just_John said: "Amber misses more shows than she actually does tho.   How do we think that is going to fly if she is the headliner here?  It took me four viewings over two trips to catch her performance, and it was definitely worth it.  She definitely deserved the Olivier over Glenn Close, which is saying a lot but London audiences are more calm and collected than Americans and they are never entitled to a refund if a performer is out. I don't think New York theatre goers are going to let that pass, even if her name is'nt above the title.  

"

Doesn't she also have three different alternates, as well? Btw I hope they transfer Wallace over, if they transfer the show. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#6Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 4/30/17 at 11:53pm

School of Rock, as a title, is the reason that 99.9% of people go see School Of Rock.  Amber is going to be at least 30% of why people see Dreamgirls (if not much more).  Comparing her to Alex doesn't seem to be the best comparison.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

MadsonMelo
#7Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 12:01am

What? In what world is Amber Riley such a big draw of anything? It's Dreamgirls on Broadway, the freakin' first revival since... ever, they would sell on name alone.

Second, Amber missed a lot of performances because she was sick and she wasn't the only one, the cast of Matilda and Rent also had issues with that.

Third, I saw last week and she was perfection.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#8Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 12:09am

MadsonMelo said: "What? In what world is Amber Riley such a big draw of anything? It's Dreamgirls on Broadway, the freakin' first revival since... ever, they would sell on name alone.

Second, Amber missed a lot of performances because she was sick and she wasn't the only one, the cast of Matilda and Rent also had issues with that.

"

She was one of the 5 main stars of Glee, which was a huge success, and the reason I was so determined to catch her performance.  She definitely has not only missed because she was sick.  She had pneumonia in January, but the Thursday before the Oliviers she must have just been saving her voice for the award show performance and just this past week she went on vacation but not two weeks after she won the Olivier.  I have friends who work in the Savoy who have told me she has missed more performances than she has done.  Also, if you follow her alternates social media, they often are posting about how they're getting ready to go on.  I love the girl and she is so talented but if you can't do the show almost all of the time you're scheduled to go on, just don't do it, because someone can.  Her alternates are fabulous by the way and I wouldn't be disappointed sitting through it again with either of them, but they're not why I wanted to see the show. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#9Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 12:12am

I do hope it moves to the beautiful and roomy Hudson next season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLBQbT6ArrY

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

#10Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 12:12am

If Riley has an alternate (I too am hoping for Wallace), and the public is told when she will be out beforehand, I don't see any problems. Dreamgirls is a very popular musical turned into a successful film that people know, so Riley being out isn't as big a deal as, say, Josh Groban's absences from Comet.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#11Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 12:24am

somethingwicked said: "He likes the production and all out gushes over Amber Riley, comparing the reception she's getting to what's being afforded to Bette in HELLO, DOLLY! here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/theater/review-a-souped-up-dreamgirls-roars-in-london.html?smid=tw-nyttheater

A very good omen for a transfer.

It is coming next season late winter-spring '18 and I hear possibly the Hudson...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gjvgYTTdHA

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#12Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 1:59am

Riley was magnificent, it really wasn't a career defining moment. She will blown New York away 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#13Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 6:17am

MadsonMelo said: "What? In what world is Amber Riley such a big draw of anything? It's Dreamgirls on Broadway, the freakin' first revival since... ever, they would sell on name alone.

"

It isn't the first revival. The original production was in 1981. It was revived in 1987. Those pesky facts......

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#14Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 7:01am

I just wish it was a new production and not a rehash of the original staging. I'd love to see a fresh new take on the show. 

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#15Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 7:02am

Debating if I should see this on the West End in August or wait until it transfers which sounds more likely by the day.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#16Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 9:26am

I'd imagine she'll have an alternate on Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#17Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 9:33am

I really hope the Hudson stays primarily a house for plays (as it was originally announced the intention would be). I would think producers of DREAMGIRLS would want to put it in a house with more seats (revenue potential). It's a big show.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

sparepart973
#18Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 9:36am

I have friends who work in the Savoy who have told me she has missed more performances than she has done.  

Sorry to say this but your friends are full of it. The same thing was said about Heather Headley here when she did The Bodyguard, and how she missed more shows than the number of shows she has done. Heather might have missed a lot, but their math is rubbish if they think this is true. Amber missed, but not even half as much as Heather, but is still not a reason to develop a reputation for missing.

The drama queen of absence has been Sheridan Smith and even in her case, her on shows were more than her off shows. 

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#19Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 10:18am

In addition to Amber Riley, Liisi LaFontaine (Deena,) Asmeret Ghebremichael (Lorrell,) Joe Aaron Reid (Curtis,) and Marisha Wallace (Effie alternate) are all Americans doing the show on the West End. I'd expect to see all of them in the production when it transfers here. Adam J. Bernard (Jimmy) has gotten rave reviews and won the Olivier alongside Amber so I wouldn't be surprised if he's brought over as well.

As others have said, it's going to the Hudson.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Visceral_Fella
#20Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 10:21am

A bit tangential: has anyone seen Asmeret as Lorrell? I didn't know she joined the company, and while I find her talented I cannot imagine her singing Lorrell. How is she?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 11:39am

Wouldn't Asmeret be attached to SWEET CHARITY this Fall?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#22Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 11:43am

Asmeret has become the star she has long deserved to be in the show.  So many amazing choices she made for the character.  A HUGE improvement on the crap performance from whoever I saw in January.  

As for Sheridan Smith, I'm so confused as to why Amber is not getting the same reputation in the West End that Smith did.  Smith had an illness that she had to take time off for treatment.   What is Riley's excuse?  Also, Amber is ALWAYS out when she is scheduled to be out.  That isn't the issue. She is often out when she is scheduled to be on and they don't allow you to exchange for another date in that case.  Brits just kind of think it is what it is, Americans are going to throw a **** fit in the box office demanding an exchange for when Riley is on.  

MadsonMelo
#23Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 1:02pm

Matt Rogers said: "MadsonMelo said: "What? In what world is Amber Riley such a big draw of anything? It's Dreamgirls on Broadway, the freakin' first revival since... ever, they would sell on name alone.

"

It isn't the first revival. The original production was in 1981. It was revived in 1987. Those pesky facts......

"

That production that opened two years after the original closed with the main star being the understudy/replacement of the original star of the show and with the entire creative team of the first production and that lasted for five months? Sorry for forgetting about that ''revival''.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#24Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 2:04pm

i've said it before and i'm saying it again: i'm still holding out for Patina as Deena because that would be absolutely sublime. I'd also like Nikki James to play Lorrell though that's less of a pressing matter. Amber Riley and Patina Miller have been my dream duo for a production of Dreamgirls for like seven years now.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

silent
#25Brantley Reviews London's DREAMGIRLS
Posted: 5/1/17 at 2:27pm

I hope they find a new Deena for the US transfer. Perhaps Glennis Grace. And why doesn't the show have 2 or 3 Effies as the stars? The role is such that one person is always missing shows. 

Updated On: 5/1/17 at 02:27 PM