pixeltracker

Which show posts closing notice first- Page 2

Which show posts closing notice first

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#25Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:00am

corbucketty said: "MaddieBB12 said: "Cats.

"

I don't know if you're aware of it, but Cats is selling pretty well at the moment and although it's not grossing as well as it could be, it is definitely doing better than many other shows. 

"

Cats at least has it's name recognition to survive on a bit longer. Those toursits folks standing at TKTS that will say "Oh, Cats. That's famous. I've heard of that. Well now is my chance I guess." Meanwhile Amelie is more, "Was that a movie? I THINK that was a movie. It sounds foreign. How do you even pronounce that? Let's go see Phantom."

corbucketty
#26Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:03am

It's sad because Amelie was a good show, but personally there wasn't any sparkle to it for me. It was just... a good show. Nothing special.

Nycat63
#27Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:13am

corbucketty said: "It's sad because Amelie was a good show, but personally there wasn't any sparkle to it for me. It was just... a good show. Nothing special.

Anyone want my June tickets?  $89 plus fees for orchestra ????????

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#28Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:23am

I see lots of love for Amelie around here. wink

Kimbo
#29Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:27am

I agree, Amelie.  It's a shame really - a flawed show but one I enjoyed much more than Bandstand or A Bronx Tale.

I have to wonder about Bandstand long-term - or even much into the summer.  The word of mouth is pretty bad, everyone I know who's seen it was surprised that a few of the reviews are good, and nominations for Orchestrations and Choreography sure don't give them a lot to market.  Who knows, maybe they'll surprisingly win for Choreography (my vote would go to Groundhog Day first, then Great Comet).

But without a number on the broadcast, and with the lackluster buzz being spread, I'll be curious if it can hold its head up much past June or July.

neonlightsxo
#30Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:32am

Amelie. Yesterday's numbers dug that grave.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#31Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:37am

It's a shame for sure to see shows go. I think that Amelie will close up shop on 6/11, and Bandstand will try and retain some pride by lasting until Labor Day. 

Off topic - hoping Phillipa found it rewarding enough to originate a third role, as she'd have a 2nd Tony Nomination and job security right now if she had signed on Great Comet. 

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#32Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:40am

corbucketty said: "MaddieBB12 said: "Cats."

I don't know if you're aware of it, but Cats is selling pretty well at the moment and although it's not grossing as well as it could be, it is definitely doing better than many other shows. 
"

True. As long as Cats stays at current levels (and they have been consistent for 9 months) they can run for years. They threat to Cats staying open is competition that could steal its box office. And the two family-type shows, Anastasia and Charlie are weak. (Dolly could be competition, but families can neither get nor afford tickets.)

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#33Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:42am

VotePeron said: "It's a shame for sure to see shows go. I think that Amelie will close up shop on 6/11, and Bandstand will try and retain some pride by lasting until Labor Day. 

I agree on those dates for both shows.

Off topic - hoping Phillipa found it rewarding enough to originate a third role, as she'd have a 2nd Tony Nomination and job security right now if she had signed on Great Comet. 

I think long term, her strategy will be her advantage. She also has money from originating all three shows if contracts are what they seem to be theses days (getting a percentage of the overall gross of the show).

"

perfectliar
#34Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:43am

Kimbo said: "I have to wonder about Bandstand long-term - or even much into the summer.  The word of mouth is pretty bad, everyone I know who's seen it was surprised that a few of the reviews are good, and nominations for Orchestrations and Choreography sure don't give them a lot to market. "

I think a lot of posters here underestimate the power of word of mouth when it comes to elderly and bridge and tunnel crowds. I saw Bandstand this past Saturday at 2:00, and every single person in my immediate vicinity was raving about it... and every single one of them also fit into one or both of those crowds. Look at how well A Bronx Tale has been doing all season, despite mixed reviews and an air of dismissal from this board. That show is thriving with these crowds, and I think Bandstand has a shot at doing the same kind of thing. Its grosses have climbed every week, and like I said, the reception from the older audience I saw the show with was ecstatic... I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Trina55
#35Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 12:50pm

brdway411 said: "My money is still on Charlie... They spent more money outside the theater than they spent on sets in the theater."

There's a big difference between a show not being good and a show not selling tickets. Charlie is selling. Poor Amelie, on the other hand - I wouldn't be surprised if they wrapped up this weekend (or next, if it's too late per Equity regulations). Fully expecting their notice tonight, after they've had a chance to inform cast & crew Which show posts closing notice first

Updated On: 5/2/17 at 12:50 PM

Gpvegas
#36Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:14pm

I think a lot of posters here underestimate the power of word of mouth when it comes to elderly and bridge and tunnel crowds. I saw Bandstand this past Saturday at 2:00, and every single person in my immediate vicinity was raving about it... and every single one of them also fit into one or both of those crowds. Look at how well A Bronx Tale has been doing all season, despite mixed reviews and an air of dismissal from this board. That show is thriving with these crowds, and I think Bandstand has a shot at doing the same kind of thing. Its grosses have climbed every week, and like I said, the reception from the older audience I saw the show with was ecstatic... I wouldn't count it out just yet.

I was in the elevator at the Hamilton Train station on Sat night with a group of 5 people that saw Bandstand that night.  They saw our Hello Dolly playbill and one lady said how was that.  We said great she said I wish we saw that instead of Bandstand.  Another one said, I wish we saw anything other then Bandstand.  They all were in agreement they would not recommend Bandstand.  

froote
#37Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:21pm

It's not just originating three lead roles (and featuring on three cast recordings!) at 26 that is a positive for Phillipa. She's also been the sole lead of a show for the first time, which is a great way to establish herself in her own right away from Hamilton.

Whilst she would have almost certainly been a Tony nominee for the second year in a row (and probably the runner-up to the win) if she had taken Natasha, I think her decision is just as valid and it was probably nice for her to take on something new and get a bit of a break after Hamilton rather than going straight into Natasha rehearsals.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#38Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:34pm

"I was in the elevator at the Hamilton Train station on Sat night with a group of 5 people that saw Bandstand that night.  They saw our Hello Dolly playbill and one lady said how was that.  We said great she said I wish we saw that instead of Bandstand.  Another one said, I wish we saw anything other then Bandstand.  They all were in agreement they would not recommend Bandstand.  "

I went Saturday night and it got standing ovation from all levels of the theater. A couple of songs got pretty big and sustained applause. Let me say I am shocked (lol) that somebody would say they would rather see "Hello Dolly" than "Bandstand", we both know that is not fair comparison. As for the other person who would rather see anything else but "Bandstand", too each their own but I disagree. Heck, the dancing of the ensemble and the performances by Corey Cott and Laura Osnes are worth the price of admission.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#39Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:41pm

Only getting two Tony nominations which will not help sell tickets means this show will have to survive by word of mouth. I think it is a good show and entertaining, hope it can last for awhile.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#40Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:44pm

What in the world is the "Hamilton train station" ???

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#41Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:44pm

If Bandstand closes I can't help but feel sorry for Corey since he just had a baby. Hopefully it sticks around longer or he has something waiting in the wings

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#42Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:47pm

GreasedLightning said: "What in the world is the "Hamilton train station" ???

"

Hamilton, New Jersey lol

Margo319
#43Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:47pm

I think Bandstand has longer than Amelie.  Charlie just opened, I feel terrible for the show but even more terrible they MADE it into a show and wasted everyone's time.  

trpguyy
#44Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:48pm

GreasedLightning said: "What in the world is the "Hamilton train station" ???"

Probably the New Jersey Transit station in Hamilton, NJ.

GreasedLightning
#45Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:48pm

Oh... LOL. 

I don't think Amelie will post their notice tonight. That's drastic. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#46Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:49pm

I, too, was curious about this magical Hamilton train station.

froote
#47Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:54pm

Did someone say Hamilton train station?

https://i.redd.it/pe42pfy2nsuy.jpg

GreasedLightning
#48Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 1:56pm

Seriously! I was thinking "the 44th street subway? The 50th street station???" 

Too good, froote.

bear88
#49Which show posts closing notice first
Posted: 5/2/17 at 2:04pm

I'm curious. Everything I have read about Amelie has been mixed to negative, long before Phillipa Soo was involved. The reviews for her seemed respectable, and many commenters on this board complained that the show needed more of her.

I realize it's never good to headline a show that bombs, and heading back to Great Comet (and a likely Tony nomination) seems like the better choice in retrospect.

But all we've really learned is that Soo cannot draw people to a weak show. She seems drawn to creating new characters and trying new material. Her problem this time was that she didn't have Dave Malloy or Lin-Manuel Miranda writing the show and her songs. She can always go back to Hamilton or Great Comet as long as they're running, and my guess is that she remains on a short list of young, female stars for future musicals.

Am I wrong?

Videos