pixeltracker

PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season- Page 4

PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#75PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/15/18 at 9:12pm

I LOVE Mean Girls! I’m also digging Children of a Lesser God, and ADORE Harry Potter’s.

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#76PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/15/18 at 9:14pm

Mean Girls and My Fair Lady are BEAUTIFUL!

WTF is Lobby Hero, though? It looks like a promotional photo that should be plastered on one of the doors of the theater—not the playbill.

Danielle49
#77PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/15/18 at 9:26pm

Lobby Hero is hideous. Seriously, who is doing the graphic design at Second Stage?

Have no interest in seeing it, but the Mean Girls playbill is perfect - so evocative of the world of the show. Harry Potter is genius. Children of a Lesser God (those colors!!!) and Rocktopia are both really lovely and clean.

BroadwayConcierge
#78PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 9:31am

Carousel starts previews tonight, and there's still no playbill cover for it on its page. Hmm...

orlikethecolorpurple
#79PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 10:06am

No Three Tall Women either which was supposed to have already started previews. ¯\_(?)_/¯

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#80PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 10:36am

This is now on the Playbill Vault. I don't know why, but I LOVE these rehearsal covers!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

fashionguru_23
#81PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 10:47am

PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 SeasonPLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season

Also interesting to note, that they Playbill for Harry Potter has been changed (at least on Playbill Vault) to show that it will be a "Showbill".

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Evans2
#82PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 11:04am

Would someone mind explaining why Harry Potter and Aladdin use Showbill and not Playbill?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#83PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 12:19pm

Evans2 said: "Would someone mind explaining why Harry Potter and Aladdin use Showbilland not Playbill?"

When Disney opened Beauty and the Beast they recieved complaints from parents that the Playbills contained non-Disney/adult themed advertisements. This is because Playbills are provided to theaters for free as an arrangement between theater owners and Playbill. Instead  Playbill relies on revenue from the advertisements inside the magazine. Thus as a response to this when then Disney opened The Lion King at their own New Amsterdam theater, they reached out to Stagebill to provide their programs. Stagebill's business model allowed theater owners to customize the advertisements and contents within their program for a fee to the theater owner. Therefore when Lion King opened its programs were not produced by Playbill and instead were Stagebills filled with Disney advertisements. When Ragtime opened at the Lyric (Ford Center for the Performing Arts) the same arrangement was made with Stagebill, but instead of Disney adds the program was filled with Ford ads.  Playbill not wanting to loose revenue from Stagebill, so Playbill eventually created Showbill, as an alternative to Playbill where the a theater owner can pay Playbill for customized contents within the program. Due to this and Disney trying to actually become part of the Broadway community instead of the Robber Barron many saw it as, it switched back to the newly created Showbill near the end of The Lion King's run at the New Amsterdam and has kept a showbill for every show at the New Amsterdam since. (It should be noted that Disney did use a "Playbill" for Aladdin while it was in previews as I have an Aladdin Playbill.) This is done at a theater owner level though, so its not a decision made by producers. If I had to guess producers can request a Showbill from theater owners but they will have to absorb any of the costs, which would not make mucg business sense for many shows that are hoping to be the Phantom/Les Miz/Rent/Lion King/Wicked/Book of Mormon/Hamilton but are budgeted as a sleeper hit. So an additional $10k a week in printing costs can be a big chunk of change when it comes to budgeting especially if you can better use that money in marketing.

If I had to bet considering the extensive renovations done to the Lyric to make it more "immersive" and the fact that in 12 hours Cursed Child was able to sell 99% of its tickets for the next year ...I think the producers and or the Ambassador Theatre Group will happily pay the costs to keep J.K Rowling happy. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#84PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 1:47pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Carouselstarts previews tonight, and there's still no playbill cover for it on its page. Hmm..."

Here’s Carousels... https://instagram.com/p/Bfv8Qm3nxKw/

Not what I was expecting, but I still dig it

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#85PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 1:50pm

Call_me_jorge said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Carouselstarts previews tonight, and there's still no playbill cover for it on its page. Hmm..."

Here’s Carousels...https://instagram.com/p/Bfv8Qm3nxKw/

Not what I was expecting, but I still dig it

"

Oh geez. Looks like a rehersal picture. I wished they used the really pretty logo they have on the marquee

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BroadwayConcierge
#86PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 1:51pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Here’s Carousels...https://instagram.com/p/Bfv8Qm3nxKw/"

What is this?!?!

They've been promoting their stunning Cleon Peterson key art all over the city and THIS is their playbill?

Updated On: 2/28/18 at 01:51 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#87PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 1:55pm

I like it. It's very vintage. This might just be the preview playbill.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#88PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:05pm

I am loving the Carousel Playbill.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#89PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:06pm

Scott Rudin uses rehearsal photos and often moves to a production photo. All in black and white, to evoke the vintage feel of the Playbill.

I assume HELLO, DOLLY is different either because (a) Scott didn’t want any photos out, and/or (b) Bette didn’t agree to her face plastered all over.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

orlikethecolorpurple
#90PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:15pm

Other than Hello, Dolly! and A Doll's House Part 2, have any other recent Rudin shows used show art in lieu of rehearsal/production photos? 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#91PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:20pm

orlikethecolorpurple said: "Other than Hello, Dolly! and A Doll's House Part 2, have any other recent Rudin shows used show art in lieu of rehearsal/production photos?"

Mormon, if that counts as "recent." Though they're one of the last (if not the last?) to still use a border.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Call_me_jorge
#92PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:22pm

The shuffle along playbill

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#93PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:24pm

Call_me_jorge said: "The shuffle along playbill"

Remember Shuffle started with the show's artwork, then the production photo of the girls' legs in the vintage style, then BACK to the show artwork? lol.

orlikethecolorpurple
#94PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:24pm

Oh yeah, Shuffle Along did. They also had the brief, terrible production photo version.

Call_me_jorge
#95PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:38pm

I just saw a photo of the billing page for Carousel and I just got excited seeing Joshua and Jessie being billed above the title. So excited for the two of them!

fashionguru_23
#96PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:41pm

If anyone can grab one for me, I will pay handsomely. PM me, thanks!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#97PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 2:47pm

I like the rehearsal photo for CAROUSEL, but that logo is just so beautiful. I want it on a playbill.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

VintageSnarker
#98PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 6:34pm

I was hoping for something more iconic for Mean Girls.

Lobby Hero is fine. I mean, it looks like Second Stage stuff. I wasn't expecting something crazy, especially for a play like this.

I hate Carousel. It's only for previews, right?

I'm coming around on My Fair Lady but it's still just so anonymous. He's done artwork with more fine line work and... you know, features on people's faces. The impression from this cover is that thematically, MFL is the opening to Beauty and the Beast. How is it about being lost in a crowd? I do like that based on the attire, there's a mix of classes though there's not a lot of life to most of the figures and even for Edwardian London, I'm not sure I buy all the unaccompanied ladies.

@z5
#99PLAYBILL Covers of the 2017-2018 Season
Posted: 2/28/18 at 7:17pm

I remember the glass menagerie was also a rehearsal photo for the whole run