pixeltracker

'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018- Page 4

'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#75'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 3:04pm

Whooooaaa.  Did not see that coming.    Hope none of the cast just bought a new house or created other financial committments.   

I'm sure there will be an outcry over it from her demographic....like they did when they cancelled Tim  Allen's show.  (Which is also coming back?)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jay Williams
#76'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 3:04pm

Just Fired!    Good.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#77'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 3:05pm

Did you guys who are cheering the show's demise actually watch the new series? The surprise is that Roseanne Connor was not nearly as distasteful a character as Roseanne Barr herself is. The show constantly said something worth saying about the red state/ blue state divide. It was filled with theater actors like Metcalf and Estelle Parsons (and John Goodman for that matter) who were superb at their craft. And it had a staff of writers who had the skill to engage in the tough issues in a way that made BOTH sides sit up and listen. I hate what Barr tweeted today, but I'm sorry to see the show go.

Updated On: 5/29/18 at 03:05 PM

RicardoMagon Profile Photo
RicardoMagon
#78'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 3:08pm

Roseanne has said her show was to give a voice to trump supporters and show that they are not racist, and that they voted for him for economic reasons. So when she routinely tweets out racist things and has the president of the united states take credit for the success of her show....welll I mean just wow.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#79'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 3:10pm

I feel so bad for Laurie.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#80'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 3:24pm

I am a big fan of the first 4-5 seasons of the show when it was grounded. Watching a few episodes of this season reminded me why I liked Roseanne the character and actress. However, this revival was not very good. The writing was sluggish, the actors outside of Gilbert never seemed comfortable getting back into their roles, the comedy was boring, and the content itself made me wonder why they needed a team of writers to produce what they did. It's not like the episodes were full of good content. It was just a basic skeleton of ideas that they stretched out for 24 minutes. I think what this show attempted to do isn't unusual considering the types of issues sitcoms and television shows in general are tackling now. It's just people are familiar with the Roseanne brand and showed up to watch the show while not watching anything else. Also, Laurie Metcalf is awful in this series because they made her play Jackie like it was season 9 Jackie and I had to watch Getting On again to remind myself what a brilliant comedian and tv actress she can be. 

Also, there's a line that is drawn where you cannot separate the art from the artist, and this is one of those times. I'd argue it was one of those times long before they green lit this show, but no need to fight battles already gone by. I bet Whitney Cummings and then Wanda Sykes leaving (even before the "ape" tweet) was coming because they thought they could take a novel idea of a politically-fractured family and showcase "the other side". I do think there is room on network television to do that, but they need much better and smarter writers and somebody who isn't as vile as Roseanne to be the front person. Even the National Review had enough of her. I think Cummings and Sykes they could handle it because they have thick skin as comedians tend to do, but then they realized where their line was. I bet the ratings made Roseanne feel empowered and invincible and she wanted to take the show in an extreme direction, which resulted in Cummins' exit. Then the ape comment came and Sykes bowed out. 

Updated On: 5/29/18 at 03:24 PM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#81'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 3:25pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Did you guys who are cheering the show's demise actually watch the new series? The surprise is that Roseanne Connor was not nearly as distasteful a character as Roseanne Barr herself is. The show constantly said something worth saying about the red state/ blue state divide. It was filled with theater actors like Metcalf and Estelle Parsons (and John Goodman for that matter) who were superb at their craft. And it had a staff ofwriters who had the skill to engage in the tough issues in a way that made BOTH sides sit up and listen. I hate what Barr tweeted today, but I'm sorry to see the show go."

I had the misfortune of seeing one episode. The one with the Muslim next door neighbors. It was as bad as I thought it would be. Horribly racist. Just like her.

Amber Ruffin Takes Roseanne to Task for 'Tired-Ass,' Racist Episode About Muslim Neighbors

https://jezebel.com/amber-ruffin-takes-roseanne-to-task-for-tired-ass-raci-1826153577

And I don't feel bad for Gilbert, Goodman, or Metcalf. They knew what they were signing up for.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#82'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 4:01pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "However, this revival was not very good. The writing was sluggish, the actors outside of Gilbertnever seemed comfortable getting back into their roles, the comedy was boring, and the content itself made me wonder why they needed a team of writers to produce what they did. It's not like the episodes were full of good content. It was just a basic skeleton of ideas that they stretched out for 24 minutes."

You just described every network sitcom.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#83'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 4:18pm

I disagree. Maybe every network sitcom that is past like season 5 or are on its dying legs where you can see a real slow down in the pacing and the comedy. We may not be in the golden age of traditional, multi-cam sitcoms, but even accounting for the decrease in quality, there is/was a major difference between a show that is still in its peak now and what Roseanne was. 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#84'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 4:54pm

“Many fine people on both sides.”

RicardoMagon Profile Photo
RicardoMagon
#85'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 4:57pm

adamgreer said: "“Many fine people on both sides.”"

I'll always remember the day he said that and the people that defended him. History is watching.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#86'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 5:51pm

Never watched the new show, can't stand Roseanne but with how well the ratings did it would be surprising if another network or company doesn't pick the series up.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#87'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 6:32pm

Broadway Joe said: "Never watched the new show, can't stand Roseanne but with how well the ratings did it would be surprising if another network or company doesn't pick the series up. "

Not a chance. She’s way too toxic right now. This cancellation likely came ahead of a big ad boycott. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#88'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 6:43pm

adamgreer said: "Broadway Joe said: "Never watched the new show, can't stand Roseanne but with how well the ratings did it would be surprising if another network or company doesn't pick the series up. "

Not a chance. She’s way too toxic right now. This cancellation likely came ahead of a big ad boycott.
"

That's true. The numbers don't matter if advertisers aren't going to be paying top dollar for a commercial slot during the show. Plus the networks have to weigh taking a gamble on whether Roseanne will have the same numbers on their network and after this mess with the public exit of Wanda Sykes due to Roseanne's tweet for a short-term return vs. their lasting image as the network that saved Roseanne and what it will look like for that network long-term.

Updated On: 5/29/18 at 06:43 PM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#89'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 7:44pm

Almost makes you feel sorry for Tom Arnold huh?

Almost.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#90'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/29/18 at 9:18pm

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#91'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/30/18 at 2:16am

Roseanne has been melting down on Twitter tonight and is now blaming her tweets on Ambien.

Dolls

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#92'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/30/18 at 6:58am

I want a doll!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#93'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/30/18 at 9:27am

Networks that were airing reruns of the 1st 9 seasons are pulling the plug on those. Hulu pulled season 10. No network is going to go near this at all. Roseanne cooked her own goose.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

dramamama611
#94'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/30/18 at 10:03am

And from what I saw, she is taking responsibility (even despite the ambien clause).  She said she is to blame.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#95'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/30/18 at 10:51am

dramamama611 said: "And from what I saw, she is taking responsibility (even despite the ambien clause). She said she is to blame."

Yes. While also retweeting racists who were defending her, attacking Roseanne castmates, and tweeting more conspiracy theories about Valerie Jarret. 

I think Channing Dungey and Bob Iger deserve a ton of credit here. It might not have been smart to give Roseanne a platform but they reacted quickly. And it shows, even in the age of Trump, there is a line that can't be crossed. And for that I thank them.

The racist enabling mods here at BWW could learn a lesson from Ms. Dungey. When you censor people calling out racism, but not the racist themselves, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!

Updated On: 5/30/18 at 10:51 AM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#96'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/30/18 at 11:10am

Is Sandy Duncan available?  lol

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#97'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/30/18 at 11:52am

Dear Roseanne, say hello to #BlackGirlMagic. We call her Channing Dungey, president of ABC Entertainment. You can call her your FORMER boss! #Cancelled #ByeRoseanne

Updated On: 5/30/18 at 11:52 AM

dramamama611
#98'Roseanne' Returning to ABC in 2018
Posted: 5/30/18 at 12:03pm

ErikJ972 said: "dramamama611 said: "And from what I saw, she is taking responsibility (even despite the ambien clause). She said she is to blame."

Yes. While also retweeting racists who were defending her, attacking Roseanne castmates, and tweeting more conspiracy theories about Valerie Jarret.
"

I didn't see any of that - I was just reading something that posted a bunch of her "I'm sorry", "Don't blame anyone else" type of posts. (so thank you!)