Eliza Soo

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#25Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/17/17 at 7:32pm

Glad to see so many people agree with me that Soo would be great.  I think Strallen would also be wonderful. Older Actresses like Benanti have played the role before but with all the talent out there I think they will go young.  Benanti can play Henry's Mum.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#26Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/17/17 at 7:39pm

hork said: "Laura Benanti is about twice the age of Eliza Doolittle. How is she perfect?

Many actresses around her age have played the part and been amazing.  I understand that some people really care about the stage direction that reads "She can't be older than 20," but frankly, there isn't a single line in the show where anyone acknowledges her age.  Anyone who saw her in She Loves Me can clearly see that she would be sensational.  She's a great comedian, actress, and classical soprano.  She is perfect.

orlikethecolorpurple
#27Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/17/17 at 7:41pm

Laura Benanti is the only actress who would guarantee my grabbing a ticket for this revival. 

pupscotch
#28Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/17/17 at 7:48pm

My one reservation with Soo is that she has not shown the comedic timing and ability necessary to play this role yet. I'd prefer Benanti, or Ashley Park, who was hilarious in Sunday in the Park with George. Of course, it depends completely on who they cast as Higgins, as Sher mentioned he was casting that role first. If it's Colin Firth, Soo would seem so young next to him. But if they get a younger Higgins, I could get behind it.

BWWMatt Profile Photo
BWWMatt
#29Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/17/17 at 8:32pm

icecreambenjamin said: "but frankly, there isn't a single line in the show where anyone acknowledges her age."

That's not exactly true. When Col. Pickering is giving her description to the police after she has left Higgins' home, he says something to the effect that he doesn't know how old she is, but that she's probably around 21. Now, that is not definitive, and it could be played as a comment on an older man not having paid any attention to the particulars of this young woman whom he's been living with for months, but that is at least a reference. 

That being said, I do agree with you, the age of a performer doesn't have to be exact, or even in a certain proximity, to a character's age for him or her to be an incredible choice for a role, especially when the age of the character is not all that important to the role itself. 

Updated On: 5/17/17 at 08:32 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#30Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/17/17 at 9:59pm

Phillipa also was a standout to me when I saw her in Hamilton, and thought she sounded even better live than she does on the album. I wouldn't begrudge them casting someone else, Lauren Worsham would slay that score. i adore Laura but think she may be a little long in the tooth, though obviously her casting would be excite me regardless.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#31Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/17/17 at 10:01pm

I can't believe you passed up the opportunity to title this thread Eliza Soolittle. 

godlessondheimite
#32Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 8:54am

Call_me_jorge said: "Didn't someone say Sher isn't going to give out offers, but is auditioning Eliza? It would be interesting if it ended up being Benanti and Soo fighting it out for the role. "

SMASH is due for a revival, isn't it?

MyLife
#33Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 9:07am

I'm not surprised that after seeing Hamilton people often don't pick Eliza out as one of their favorites, regardless of who played her that night. I think it's the role more than the actress because Eliza has to be ranked among the other characters, from Angelica, the King, to Lafayette/Jefferson, that are a more unique character to Hamilton. You can find other Eliza-type characters on Broadway.

However, compare one Eliza to another. This is where I think Philippa Soo shines. When you see others in the role now, you realize how much Soo did to make Eliza. Eliza fades into the background when Lexi Lawson plays her. She doesn't have as complete an arc when Ari Afsar is in the role (and I adored Ari's performance and choice's but didn't find it as complete as Soo's).

Another vote for Eliza Soolittle here.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#34Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 9:47am

Here's a question I have about Phillipa Soo as Eliza Doolittle, has Bartlett Sher ever done colorblind casting before?

froote
#35Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 9:56am

Agreed MyLife. Although I love Eliza as a character, she's a quiet hero, she doesn't get a showstopper etc. I would probably enjoy the character much less if I hadn't seen the way Soo portrayed her. I think it's very telling that whilst people rave about Josh Henry, Karen Olivo, Michael Luwoye, Chris Lee, Jordan Fisher etc., there has yet to be an Eliza that most people think matches up to the original. I think it's a difficult character to get right and Soo nailed it. 

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#36Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 10:30am

FlySkyHigh said: "I'm still trying to figure out what is so appealing about Soo. Whatever spell she has cast did not capture me. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike her but there's nothing exciting about her either. Soo is what I like to think of as a jack of all trades but a master of none. She will never do a disservice to a role but I can't see her transcending a role either. 

I'd rather an unknown play Eliza. This role is a great 'a star is born' opportunity.

"

Soo is beautiful and has a lovely voice, but sort of comes off dull as a doorknob. 

FlySkyHigh
#37Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 10:46am

Nothing can top Satisfied but, to say Eliza doesn't have a showstopper (or at least a chance to shine) is absolutely untrue. At the very minimum, she has four; Helpless, That would be enough, Burn, and WLWDWTYS.  Burn is one of the most beautiful and gut wrenching songs in the show. And when she sang that song, I wanted to feel like my heart had been ripped from my chest, not just a mild prick. I wanted her to really go for it but it was just so self contained. I understand Eliza is a more composed character, but when you're in the type of pain the song is describing, the character/actress shouldn't hold back.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#38Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 10:49am

After being charmed by Phillippa in Amelie, I'd see her in anything. She's a great fit for Eliza.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#39Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 10:57am

FlySkyHigh said: "Nothing can top Satisfied but, to say Eliza doesn't have a showstopper (or at least a chance to shine) is absolutely untrue. At the very minimum, she has four; Helpless, That would be enough, Burn, and WLWDWTYS.  Burn is one of the most beautiful and gut wrenching songs in the show. And when she sang that song, I wanted to feel like my heart had been ripped from my chest, not just a mild prick. I wanted her to really go for it but it was just so self contained. I understand Eliza is a more composed character, but when you're in the type of pain the song is describing, the character/actress shouldn't hold back.

"

I totally disagree. I seriously doubt anyone who doesn't hold back in that kind of situation would put herself "out of the narrative."

froote
#40Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 10:57am

Eh, we have different ideas of what showstoppers are. The only showstoppers in Hamilton in my mind are My Shot, Satisfied, One Last Time and Room Where It Happens. I've seen Hamilton numerous times with numerous Elizas and I've never seen any of her songs receive the same rapturous response as the aforementioned numbers.

And I personally prefer Soo's composed take on Burn, but again it's all down to personal preference.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#41Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:00am

FlySkyHigh said: "Nothing can top Satisfied but, to say Eliza doesn't have a showstopper (or at least a chance to shine) is absolutely untrue. At the very minimum, she has four; Helpless, That would be enough, Burn, and WLWDWTYS.  Burn is one of the most beautiful and gut wrenching songs in the show. And when she sang that song, I wanted to feel like my heart had been ripped from my chest, not just a mild prick. I wanted her to really go for it but it was just so self contained. I understand Eliza is a more composed character, but when you're in the type of pain the song is describing, the character/actress shouldn't hold back."

I completely disagree. My heart was ripped from my chest entirely during Soo's performance. I was crying with her, for her. I saw the Original Chicago cast a few months ago, and Ari really "went" for it, the way you're describing it. It was totally lost on me. The melodrama felt completely wrong. "I'm erasing myself from the narrative" line should come from a character who really wants to bury themselves in a wall after the humiliation she went through, not be a showboat. Soo's "I hope that you burn" felt... genuine. It wasn't a rhetoric when she said it (which goes to show how she herself "went" there, in a different sense of the word). In her nuanced performance, she made it very clear that while Alexander had wronged her, she still couldn't bring herself to stop loving him. She couldn't stop being his wife. She manifested that character, heart, soul, and body. (Yes, I know I'm being dramatic, but this is how I feel about Soo as Eliza Hamilton).

As for this thread - Benanti should play the part. Especially if there's a 50+ year old they are planning for Prof Higgins. She would be sensational opposite Colin Firth.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jarethan
#42Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:00am

FlySkyHigh said: "I'm still trying to figure out what is so appealing about Soo. Whatever spell she has cast did not capture me. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike her but there's nothing exciting about her either. Soo is what I like to think of as a jack of all trades but a master of none. She will never do a disservice to a role but I can't see her transcending a role either. 

I'd rather an unknown play Eliza. This role is a great 'a star is born' opportunity.

Soo is not a a star, beyond the people on this site.  It could be a 'star is born' opportunity, just as Julie Andrews was, despite having been in The Boyfriend previously.

I actually don't have an opinion re Soo as Liza...she was fine in Hamilton, but did not make the kind of impression she had made on others.  Re Benanti, I also think she is too old for the role.  Perhaps it will depend on who they get for Higgins.  If it is someone like Anthony Hopkins, she will be fine.  (Only kidding, but she is still too old).

Updated On: 5/18/17 at 11:00 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#43Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:09am

froote said: "Soo gave my favorite performance in Hamilton (closely followed by Odom Jr) and considering her role was relatively underwritten in comparison to others, that's something. Obviously it's pointless debating as different performances speak to different people and unless you're a Cynthia Erivo in TCP or Ben Platt in DEH, a performance is unlikely to be universally adored.

I didn't love Erivo. I don't think there's such a thing as a universally adored performance.

froote
#44Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:15am

No, of course not! To be honest, I thought Erivo's performance was magnificent singing and decent acting, nothing more. But by universally adored, I mean 'or thereabouts'.

FlySkyHigh
#45Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:36am

When I say go for it, I didn't mean full out belting and falling over the floor. Go for it doesn't equal melodramatic. And I understand the subtleties of the song. In my mind she is not supposed to be composed as much she is trying to remain composed, if that makes sense. So in the moments when her pain is so overwhelming, that she can't keep her cool, I feel like she didn't capitalize on it. Even in the softer moments, it was just underwhelming for me. But hey, just my opinion. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#46Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:41am

I think froote and FlySkyHigh are both right. I think Eliza is a quiet, showstopper-less role (I mean, "Burn" is just about a woman crying over her husband cheating on her ... I just can't work up any emotion over that), and Soo's namby-pamby performance was bland and forgettable. However, I thought her Amelie was delightful. She wouldn't be my first choice for Eliza Doolittle, but I think she could really shine in it.

FlySkyHigh
#47Eliza Soo
Posted: 5/18/17 at 11:41am

Sorry to derail the thread with my earlier posts, but getting back on topic... it's a little unconventional but I think Adrienne Warren would be an interesting choice. She really showed her versatility and range in Shuffle Along. I still think an unknown would be the best option though.

Updated On: 5/18/17 at 11:41 AM

Videos