pixeltracker

CFA now the favorite for Tony?- Page 3

CFA now the favorite for Tony?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#50CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:50am

Zuber's work on War Paint is sumptuous- the costumes are the second best thing about the production, after the leading divas. However, I think they're very conventional period designs. Awards bodies tend to like period designs and lots of 'em, though.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#51CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:51am

And yes: the Doyle Sweeney Todd lost to The Pajama Game.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#52CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:00pm

Although it wouldn't bother me if DEAR EVAN HANSEN sweeps Best Musical, Best Book, and Best Score, I won't be surprised if it doesn't. This season just "feels" like one that will split those awards, conceivably between 3 of the shows, with GROUNDHOG DAY (which I also loved, BTW) being the only one to come away empty-handed. I would be more than satisfied if COME FROM AWAY wins Best Musical, DEAR EVAN HANSEN wins Best Book, and GREAT COMET wins Best Score. I really enjoyed this season's musicals, and I think all these nominees are deserving of accolades.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#53CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:17pm

JudyDenmark said: "bdn223 said: "Come From Away: Near Locks: Best Featured Actress"

That's a pretty darn bold prediction. I would say that Rachel Bay Jones is the near-lock in this category. I think Jenn Colella is great, but I'd be shocked if she won the Tony. 

I also believe Bay Jones will win the Tony.

"

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#54CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:21pm

I agree, I think Rachel Bay Jones is basically a lock for the Tony (and deservedly so, she's doing extraordinary work in Dear Evan Hansen). 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#55CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:25pm

Add me to the list of those who think Rachel Bay Jones is the frontrunner in her category. For me, her solo number is the most genuinely moving moment in the show.

Sunny11
#56CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:32pm

Reading this affirms to me how useless all these awards are. Artist merit seems to be the least important factor. You only need to be the hot thing at that very moment. How else could  DEH relatively under  perform off broadway in the pre Tony awards to then  be front runner on Broadway at the Tonys when hardly anything artistic changed? 

Wayman_Wong
#57CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:42pm

All awards are subjective. It's a crapshoot. Anything can happen. And not even the Academy Awards precursors are reliable anymore, especially since they expanded the Best Picture category and went to the idiotic preferential ballot system. Just ask ''La La Land.'' They won the Broadcast Film Critics, the BAFTA, the DGA and the PGA (and swept the Golden Globes)... and still got upset by ''Moonlight.''

And a number of Guild winners differed from the Academy winners.

Updated On: 6/5/17 at 12:42 PM

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#58CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:44pm

CT2NYC said: "Add me to the list of those who think Rachel Bay Jones is the frontrunner in her category. For me, her solo number is the most genuinely moving moment in the show."

I would give it to her for the single line "A real live truck in your driveway."  Grabs my heart every time I hear it.  

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#59CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:46pm

CT2NYC said: "Although it wouldn't bother me if DEAR EVAN HANSEN sweeps Best Musical, Best Book, and Best Score, I won't be surprised if it doesn't. This season just "feels" like one that will split those awards, conceivably between 3 of the shows, with GROUNDHOG DAY (which I also loved, BTW) being the only one to come away empty-handed. I would be more than satisfied if COME FROM AWAY wins Best Musical, DEAR EVAN HANSEN wins Best Book, and GREAT COMET wins Best Score. I really enjoyed this season's musicals, and I think all these nominees are deserving of accolades."

You and I are once again of a similar mind, although I don't feel that Great Comet is in the same league as the other three.

If I were a Tony voter, Come From Away would get Best Musical, Mr. Platt would get Best Actor in a Musical, and Groundhog Day would get Best Score. I'm still torn between Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen for Best Book.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

GhostXmasPast
#60CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:57pm

Sunny11 said: "Reading this affirms to me how useless all these awards are. Artist merit seems to be the least important factor. You only need to be the hot thing at that very moment. How else could  DEH relatively under  perform off broadway in the pre Tony awards to then  be front runner on Broadway at the Tonys when hardly anything artistic changed? 

"

Your question is a great reflection of this season on Broadway, as well as the previous two seasons.

1.  Each of the four contenders for best musical took a unique path to Broadway.  CFA from Canada, GHD from England, Comet from a tent in lower manhatten via ARS Nova, and DEH through two non profit runs, one in DC and one Off Broadway.  Unique routes and  unique timelines.

2.  Eligibility for different awards include unique criteria, deadlines and may put off Broadway shows against  Broadway - or not.

3.  Producers may have made decisions based on the Hamilton Juggernaut - another unique path to Broadway with a fevered frenzy established at The Public, as well as a Fort Knox-sized advanced.  Those decisions, combined with the varying deadlines and criteria, and unique roads to Broadway ultimately impact what is competing against what.  

4.  The demographics of voter blocks for various awards are different - which further complicates direct comparison of award outcomes.

All of this makes it Very hard to establish clear Tony front runners based on Drama Desk, or Drama League, or Outer Critics, Audience Choice - or any other awards.

Sunday night will be fun!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#61CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 1:00pm

Lot666 said: "CT2NYC said: "Although it wouldn't bother me if DEAR EVAN HANSEN sweeps Best Musical, Best Book, and Best Score, I won't be surprised if it doesn't. This season just "feels" like one that will split those awards, conceivably between 3 of the shows, with GROUNDHOG DAY (which I also loved, BTW) being the only one to come away empty-handed. I would be more than satisfied if COME FROM AWAY wins Best Musical, DEAR EVAN HANSEN wins Best Book, and GREAT COMET wins Best Score. I really enjoyed this season's musicals, and I think all these nominees are deserving of accolades."

You and I are once again of a similar mind, although I don't feel that Great Comet is in the same league as the other three.

If I were a Tony voter, Come From Away would get Best Musical, Mr. Platt would get Best Actor in a Musical, and Groundhog Day would get Best Score. I'm still torn between Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen for Best Book.

While the score for GREAT COMET is divisive, and is not my personal favorite of the nominees, I think it's the most interesting and innovative, which is why I singled it out for Best Score. This season, I'm a "spread the wealth" kinda guy, but, unfortunately, I have a feeling that GROUNDHOG DAY will get shut out.

Updated On: 6/5/17 at 01:00 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#62CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 2:26pm

CT2NYC said: "While the score for GREAT COMET is divisive, and is not my personal favorite of the nominees, I think it's the most interesting and innovative, which is why I singled it out for Best Score."

I agree that it's different, but it was also by far the most forgettable of the nominees for me. The only songs I could remember at all after seeing the show were "Charming" (a fantastic track) and "Balaga" (to a somewhat lesser degree).

CT2NYC said: This season, I'm a "spread the wealth" kinda guy, but, unfortunately, I have a feeling that GROUNDHOG DAY will get shut out."

I agree. A sweep would be a shame for the wealth of good stuff out there this season, hence my "spread the wealth" picks as noted in an earlier post.

I've seen Groundhog Day twice and liked it even more the second time, so I'm particularly sad to agree with your prognosis for it. It's a great ensemble show, but Come From Away is a really great ensemble show, and Andy Karl's performance is brilliant but I believe Ben Platt has got that category locked up (and probably deservedly so).

There's just too much competition this year!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 6/5/17 at 02:26 PM

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#63CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 5:12pm

FWIW, every Tony voter I have spoken to has raved about "Come From Away." Mostly artists but also a couple producers.  

I think DEH has a great shot at book, score, lead actor and featured actress, but I'd give the edge to CFA for Best Musical.

After Eight
#64CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 6:55pm

"FWIW, every Tony voter I have spoken to has raved about "Come From Away." Mostly artists but also a couple producers.  "

Depressing, if so. There's not a good song in it; the writing is amateurish; the characters are stock and clichéd. But worse than all that is the endless self-congratulating. If you do a good deed, that's wonderful. But endlessly blowing your own horn about it is anything but.

I found it unbearable.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#65CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 7:06pm

After Eight said: "I found it unbearable."

That is truly shocking given how much you seem to enjoy Broadway. 

10086Sundays
#66CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 7:10pm

Updated On: 6/5/17 at 07:10 PM

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#67CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 7:18pm

"If you do a good deed, that's wonderful. But endlessly blowing your own horn about it is anything but."

You do realize that the people you saw on stage aren't the real people they are talking about in the story right? That it is a story on stage? You get that right? 

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#68CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 7:22pm

There are literally over 900 Tony voters. It's anybody's guess. But I'm suspecting a DEH sweep of Musical, Actor, Featured Actress, Score AND book. Best Director either Rachel or Christopher. Most likely Rachel. And Great Comet will pad its wins in the technical category. I would like CFA to win something, Rachel Bay Jones and Michael Grief might be the sacrificial lambs or just Michael. But Michael has the Gold Watch award in his favor. Lucas Steele might also win. Who knows?! But it's an exciting season!  

And I would be thrilled if Zuber won for War Paint. 

Updated On: 6/5/17 at 07:22 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#69CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 8:33pm

It would be a shame if CFA lost best book to DEH's mess.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#70CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 8:35pm

As of now, I'm thinking it'll be three-way: Musical to Dear Evan Hansen, Score to The Great Comet, and Book to Come from Away.

If DEH wins Book, I'll lose my mind.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#71CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 9:02pm

CT2NYC said: "Although it wouldn't bother me if DEAR EVAN HANSEN sweeps Best Musical, Best Book, and Best Score, I won't be surprised if it doesn't. This season just "feels" like one that will split those awards, conceivably between 3 of the shows, with GROUNDHOG DAY (which I also loved, BTW) being the only one to come away empty-handed. I would be more than satisfied if COME FROM AWAY wins Best Musical, DEAR EVAN HANSEN wins Best Book, and GREAT COMET wins Best Score. I really enjoyed this season's musicals, and I think all these nominees are deserving of accolades.

"

This. 

cam5y
#72CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 9:09pm

After Eight said: ""FWIW, every Tony voter I have spoken to has raved about "Come From Away." Mostly artists but also a couple producers.  "

Depressing, if so. There's not a good song in it; the writing is amateurish; the characters are stock and clichéd. But worse than all that is the endless self-congratulating. If you do a good deed, that's wonderful. But endlessly blowing your own horn about it is anything but.

I found it unbearable.
"

Endlessly blowing your own horn? This happened 16 years ago. There was a little bit of attention paid to it during the Vancouver Olympics, and pretty much nothing else until now. Like the musical or don't like it; art is subjective. But let's not malign the people of Gander, who when first interviewed by Sankoff and Hein, said, "You want to make a musical about people making sandwiches? Good luck with that."

jo
#73CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 9:20pm

Wayman_Wong said: "All awards are subjective. It's a crapshoot. Anything can happen. And not even the Academy Awards precursors are reliable anymore, especially since they expanded the Best Picture category and went to the idiotic preferential ballot system. Just ask ''La La Land.'' They won the Broadcast Film Critics, the BAFTA, the DGA and the PGA (and swept the Golden Globes)... and still got upset by ''Moonlight.''

And a number of Guild winners differed from the Academy winners.

"

How true!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#74CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:25pm

After Eight said: ""FWIW, every Tony voter I have spoken to has raved about "Come From Away." Mostly artists but also a couple producers.  "

I found it unbearable.

"

I have to agree with you. I mean, I clearly enjoyed it more than you did (I don't like to waste my time seeing theatre if I don't think I will enjoy it, so I enjoy most things I see). But it actually is incredibly amatuerish at times. And yes, while the themes and message are very positive it does sometimes straddle into self-congratulatory, overly sentimental or unrealistically idealised visions (I've chosen to stay silent on one particular theme because I don't want to infect the main board with my posts/leave them isolated in off-topic. But don't get me started on the way this musical deals with religion). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000