pixeltracker

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017- Page 4

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017

Whateverjsays
#75SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 8/18/17 at 5:36pm

Does anyone know if there's a discount code floating around? I've tried searching and haven't had any luck. I'm trying to get tickets to see it in December. 

CassandraReads Profile Photo
CassandraReads
#76SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 8/21/17 at 1:12pm

Does anyone happen to know if there will be a rush tickets sold for the show? TIA

goldenstate5
#77SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 8/22/17 at 7:36pm

I recently watched the bootleg of this after rolling my eyes hard at the initial announcement.

And man, has Tina Landau and her crew proven me very, very wrong. This is a stunningly creative and amusing show with some terrific songs despite the splintering of its composers, and they do make it seem like one whole. It kind of reminds me of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" in how they are so able to chameleon all these differing styles yet still make them their own. Do some not work? Yeah, the rap song is fairly out of place and there's a terrible and awkwardly written duet between Krabs and his daughter Pearl, but otherwise it's a solid score.

The book is amusing and has some great exchanges, but the plot is a mess. There's no other way to say it: it's a hot damn, bloated mess. The A-frame plot is solid, but there are far too many subplots and there's a ton of excess fat that can be trimmed. I hope they rework the plot issues and get out the scissors. For example, true to the show, Patchy the Pirate has a subplot where he's pursued by security after refusing to take his seat. It's funny and the song he sings is a delight, but each time he's featured it goes on too long and could use some trimming. Just little things like that, and dropping certain unnecessary plot beats. (man is Plankton's scheme just so underwritten)

Yet in the long run it's hard to get flustered at things like the plot because damn this looks like a fun time. The set is gorgeous and insanely inventive, with every piece of the puzzle accounted for. The cast is incredible. Ethan Slater is charming as heck, Gavin Lee brings the house down, Lilli Cooper doesn't miss a beat and Danny Skinner is just a fantastic loaf. And again, the score is almost always a joy. Hopefully the cast and crew have sanded the rough edges, because the show was actually kinda close to earning near-raves from critics back in Chicago. 

And does it have the chance of being a success on Broadway? ...yes. Absolutely. Spongebob is still huge, and I'd be stunned if this flopped. I guess we'll see in winter, but I do think people are a tad too quick to write it off.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#78SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/5/17 at 6:01pm

As someone who grew up watching Spongebob and quoting it for years... I'm pretty excited. The TV show is smarter and more clever than it gets credit for, and I've heard the Squidward number is quite a spectacle. I just hope the music isn't a huge mess -- I've heard it's very disjointed, and due to rights reasons with the respective artists, they can't really change them at this point.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#79SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/9/17 at 11:30pm

(Just A) Simple Sponge is available when you pre-order the cast album and for streaming on Spotify. I really enjoyed this song and Ethan Slater has a killer voice. Not sure which artist wrote it, but it's definitely Spongebob's I Want Song. 

https://youtu.be/Y5TCOq0rvac

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 9/9/17 at 11:30 PM

secretschuylersister Profile Photo
secretschuylersister
#80SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/9/17 at 11:39pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "Not A Simple Sponge is available when you pre-order the cast album and for streaming on Spotify. I really enjoyed this song and Ethan Slater has a killer voice. Not sure which artist wrote it, but it's definitely Spongebob's I Want Song.

https://youtu.be/Y5TCOq0rvac
"

(Just a) Simple Sponge is written by Brendon Urie !

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#81SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/13/17 at 12:07pm

The full casting! I'm really disappointed to not see Nick and Emmy rejoining. Anyone know what nick is up to that can't allow him to do this? I know emmy is on Hamilton tour. http://www.broadway.com/buzz/189678/wesley-taylor-more-join-cast-of-spongebob-squarepants-on-broadway/

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 9/13/17 at 12:07 PM

Alex Kulak2
#82SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/13/17 at 12:11pm

Man, why'd they have to screw over Nick Blaemire? He has Glory Days tied to his name, he's already had it hard enough.

freewilma
#83SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/13/17 at 12:15pm

Wesley Taylor is the first thing that actually has me excited about this show.  

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#84SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/13/17 at 12:26pm

I was really hoping for Nick to come back. Loved him as Plankton. But so thrilled to see  Wesley!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#85SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/13/17 at 3:35pm

This was the best Wesley Taylor could get right now?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

secretschuylersister
#86SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/13/17 at 3:38pm

Jon Rua is in the ensemble! I'm happy to see him back on Broadway!

secretschuylersister
#87SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 11:19am

The original cast album is up! Hopefully it's posted on Spotify soon, but I like it so far! I notice there's not a lot of background music in most songs except for in the chorus.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#88SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 11:39am

NPR has the entire Cast Recording available to steam.

Absolute garbage. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#89SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 2:33pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "NPR has the entire Cast Recording available to steam.

Absolute garbage.
"

Oh shush, it's a cute show. It's meant for children and it succeeds in entertaining them. I enjoyed it myself because the kids around me were fascinated about everything on stage. If this show introduces kids to theatre, more power to it. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#90SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 2:37pm

Yikes.  At least the set is pretty.  The music reads even worse off the stage.  At least in the context of the show its.... cute?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#91SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 2:38pm

TheSassySam said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "NPR has the entire Cast Recording available to steam.

Absolute garbage.
"

Oh shush, it's a cute show. It's meant for children and it succeeds in entertaining them. I enjoyed it myself because the kids around me were fascinated about everything on stage. If this show introduces kids to theatre, more power to it.
"

I tried to give it a fair shake. The "I Want" song that Panic! At The Disco wrote is probably the best song in the score. It's the only one I can remember after listening to it.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#92SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 2:43pm

Gotta say the only songs I really enjoyed were daddy knows best(just because of emmy's vocals) and poor pirates.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

perfectliar
#93SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 2:52pm

ACL2006 said: "This was the best Wesley Taylor could get right now?"

Ugh, I know. What currently-unemployed actor wants to originate a role in a new Broadway musical based on one of the most popular animated properties in the world?

disneybroadwayfan22
#94SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 3:08pm

I love it, but why do these albums keep on having their actors lose their energy and acting lately? Like Anastasia, they sound robotic at some parts.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#95SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/14/17 at 10:36pm

If you want to listen to the cast recording via streaming on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/14/550446601/first-listen-spongebob-squarepants-original-cast-recording

Updated On: 9/14/17 at 10:36 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#96SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/15/17 at 1:10am

Well, perfectliar, I get it. It's not exactly the highest of art. This years Tonys are going to be a bore. 

disneybroadwayfan22
#97SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/15/17 at 8:26am

Even more of a bore than this year's?

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#98SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/15/17 at 9:14am

Seriously, though, the scenic design looks beyond spectacular. I, for one, can't wait to see it in person, and I'm reserving judgement on the cast recording until I experience the show in its entirety. 

Whateverjsays
#99SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS to Open at the Palace Theatre, Fall 2017
Posted: 9/15/17 at 9:21am

CT2NYC said: "Seriously, though, the scenic design looks beyond spectacular. I, for one, can't wait to see it in person, andI'm reserving judgement on the cast recording until I experience the show in its entirety.

"

I'm far more excited about this than I should be. I'm going to hold off on listening to the album until after I've seen it. I did listen to 'Simple Sponge' and loved it though. I have seats in the balcony and seriously considering upgrading to the orchestra