Crazy For You revival

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#25Crazy For You revival
Posted: 11/25/17 at 7:21am

Excited at the possibility of all the shows you just mentioned maybe with the exception of BANDSTAND

Updated On: 11/25/17 at 07:21 AM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#26Crazy For You revival
Posted: 11/25/17 at 10:04am

God help us, but won't CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY have closed on Broadway with time to spare to get the cast and sets to LA?

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#27Crazy For You revival
Posted: 11/26/17 at 10:19am

Finale and extended curtain call - Lincoln Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqzxDDW4CGQ

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#28Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/2/17 at 2:20pm

That curtain call video is wonderful.  Makes me sad that we're not getting "Crazy For You".  I'm an Ahmanson subscriber, so I am anxiously waiting to hear what they will replace "Crazy" with.  

"Sunset Blvd" would be a good choice.  Going over other shows from last season that aren't already set for tours - how about "Sunday In The Park"?   It's certainly easy to mount set-wise.  Jake Gyllenhaal may not be available, and It has a large cast.  But it would be jewel if CTG could find the right cast. 

I don't know about the "Fiddler" tour and I was not that fond of the recent revival.  

If "Falsettos" is being mounted by CTG and not a tour - move it from next season to early 2018.  Cast and creatives' schedules may not match though.

I know Sheridan Smith has been "in and out" and it's closed, but what about "Funny Girl" from the UK?

We're taking musicals but they could bring in a play.  Too bad that the National Theatre production of "Network" with Bryan Cranston is running through the same period.  That would be perfect for LA.  The London run is totally sold out.  And I'd bet they're eyeing New York for this show.

Updated On: 12/2/17 at 02:20 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#29Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/11/17 at 3:38pm

Based on a recent casting notice, this seems like it's heading straight to Broadway. The ECC dancers call is looking for male and female dancers for a Stroman workshop of Crazy For You to be held in January for three weeks. Wonder if they'll try an sneak in for the Spring if the right theater opens up or if they'll wait until the Fall?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#30Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:08pm

I'd love to know why this needs a workshop?

Alessio2
#31Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/11/17 at 5:55pm

Still so bummed this was canceled at Ahmanson...meanwhile they have yet to announce a replacement show and February will be here before we know it.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#32Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 1:09pm

I'm not sure if it means anything whatsoever, but Crazy for You is listed on SpotCo's website as a "current client." Perhaps that means this revival is still kicking somehow?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 1:31pm

I hope that’s not the final artwork.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#34Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 1:32pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I hope that’s not the final artwork."

Me too. This is, um, not sexy. But I really hope there's a future for a revival very soon! (Maybe the Lunt after Charlie if it's coming really soon?!)

Crazy For You revival

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 1:37pm

Why this needs a workshop is beyond me or why they'd rush this to broadway? I mean it's a revival heavy season.

BroadwayConcierge
#36Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 2:12pm

Developmental lab here in NYC next month with Stroman at the helm.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Susan-Stroman-To-Lead-CRAZY-FOR-YOU-Developmental-Lab-20171212

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#37Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 2:13pm

The workshop seems unnecessary. Will this be more or less a replica of the original design and staging? They might be thinking they won't be up for many awards or even be eligible.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#38Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 2:18pm

Then what's the point of it? 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#39Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 3:11pm

My guess is that the material is being reevaluated, given the way the Gershwin catalogue is sitting at the precipice of the public domain. On the one hand, they may be working with the estate to perfect one of the few "new" Gershwin works which will still bring them money; on the other hand, the twenty-some years since the original production may mean that specific pieces of Gershwiniana which were restricted in the 90s and had to be replaced in Stroman's original staging may actually be available now (like the "Funny Girl" movie was able to use "My Man," though the Broadway production at the time did not).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#40Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 7:22pm

It just seems like a show that is done a lot regionally, so is anyone really begging for a reboot?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#41Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/12/17 at 7:48pm

I’d take this over some of the idiotic new musicals being churned out these days.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#42Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/13/17 at 11:41am

The 25th anniversary performance at Lincoln Center last February, and it was just one performance, was such a smash with the audience that I don't know why they would change a thing. (This might have been influenced by a lot of Susan Stroman well-wishers in the audience as well as others predisposed to like the show -- saw Mel Brooks doubled over with laughter -- but I found the show to be much more entertaining than expected.)

In particular I would think they would like to have the same cast, and particularly Tony Yazbeck, who was a clear audience favorite in the role of Bobby. 

Note that Yazbeck just finished his run with Prince of Broadway with the closing of that show and that the co-director and choreographer was Susan Stroman.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#43Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/13/17 at 11:47am

OlBlueEyes said: "The 25th anniversary performance at Lincoln Center last February, and it was just one performance, was such a smashwith the audience that I don't know why they would change a thing. (This might have been influenced by a lot of Susan Stroman well-wishers in the audience as well as others predisposed to like the show -- saw Mel Brooks doubled over with laughter -- but I found the show to be much more entertaining than expected.)

In particular I would think they would like to have the same cast, and particularly Tony Yazbeck, who was a clear audience favorite in the role of Bobby.

Note that Yazbeck just finished his run with Prince of Broadwaywith the closing of that show and that the co-director and choreographer was Susan Stroman.
"

When I spoke with Tony a few weeks back after his show at The Green Room, he made it sound like he was still attached.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Updated On: 12/13/17 at 11:47 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#44Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/13/17 at 1:31pm

Yazbeck needs to do this on Broadway. Easily a Tony nom for him.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#45Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/13/17 at 2:33pm

I was too young while this show was in it's prime, and haven't seen/heard of a production in my area, except for one. Is this show worth all the excitement? Should I check out the PBS recording?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

AEA AGMA SM
#46Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/13/17 at 2:43pm

I've done a production with the Stroman choreography recreated by one of her former assistants/cast members, and her work alone makes it worth checking out. The PBS recording is, I believe, of the Papermill production a few years after the Broadway premiere, and I'm sure it was mostly a recreation of the original production. So I think it's well worth checking out if you can track down a copy.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#47Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/13/17 at 3:13pm

^Yes, that Papermill version was a recreation of the Broadway production (design, direction, choreo, etc.)

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#48Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/30/17 at 11:51am

Laura Osnes is performing in the New York Philharmonic's New Year's Eve concert, which will be broadcast as Live From Lincoln Center at 9:00 pm on Sunday. The theme of the concert is Bernstein on Broadway.

She had this to say in an interview on the Lincoln Center site:

LO: Now that Bandstand is over everyone is asking what's next, and there's a potential Broadway revival of Crazy For You that we actually did at Lincoln Center last year, so that was amazing. The goal is to come to Broadway in the 18–19 season, so that's hopefully on the horizon unless something else comes along. I do these Broadway Princess Parties at 54 Below and we're kind of trying to expand that and bring it to the national level so we're actually going to California in a week and a half to do 4 concerts there, and so we might try to do that a little bit more next year, broaden that.

http://www.lincolncenter.org/article/podcast-aaron-tveit-laura-osnes

BroadwayConcierge
#49Crazy For You revival
Posted: 12/30/17 at 11:54am

Thanks for sharing that, OlBlueEyes! I really, really hope Osnes sticks with this through its Broadway bow. And it'd be smart for them to wait until a 2019 opening, since the Tony musical revival category this year is between much already a knockdown drag-out between My Fair Lady and Carousel