AntV
#75GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/1/17 at 11:24pm

That's as Joelle, not a townsperson.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#76GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/1/17 at 11:33pm

AntV said: "That's as Joelle, not a townsperson."

Ah, you are saying that every other character has a line...well Jenna as the doctor delivering the baby doesn't, does she? And which character is she playing when she tries to get the cat?

Also, Taylor has a line-at least in the recent casting I saw last week-I think she and Ray come in to the bar talking about Phil changing her tire.

springwillcome Profile Photo
springwillcome
#77GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/2/17 at 1:46am

i mentioned earlier jordan going on for jeff tonight  - I was confused because Travis has never missed a show and was at the theater tonight. turns out he was swung out to watch it - josh lamon and raymond j lee did the same earlier on, and none of them understudy any roles. I think it's really really cool that they're being given the opportunity to see it even though they arent understudying anyone, such a special show deserves to be seen properly, especially by those so closely involved. just another reason I love this whole production

springwillcome
#78GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/2/17 at 1:48am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "AntV said: "That's as Joelle, not a townsperson."

Ah, you are saying that every othercharacter has a line...well Jenna as the doctor delivering the baby doesn't, does she? And which character is she playing when she tries to get the cat?

Also, Taylor has a line-at least in the recent casting I saw last week-I think she and Ray come in to the bar talking about Phil changing her tire.
"

Yep - jenna says "you brought in mr jensen?" and "he just passed" and the whole sometimes its just their time part, and taylor says "greetings greetings!" at the bar with rays character, and later talks about phil changing her tire. Not sure why she's called lady storm catcher - I'll ask tomorrow! i know she herself refers to the character as beach ball girl or something similar, though

Updated On: 9/2/17 at 01:48 AM

HSky
#79GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/2/17 at 1:51am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "And which character is she playing when she tries to get the cat?"

She's the jogger for the cat, isn't she? Blue jacket and leggings?

greenifyme2
#80GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/5/17 at 10:26pm

Saw this from the front row tonight.

Not sure if this happens every performance, but John had tears rolling down his face during 'Night Will Come'. Looked really closely that it wasn't sweat. Someone nearby said "oh he's crying." Favorite part of the show tonight.

When Andy says "Mrs. Landcaster, this coffee is remarkably drinkable" he forgot to take a sip before starting the line. He caught himself but started laughing, so did she, and it took a few seconds for him to recover. Such a cute moment.

During 'Seeing You' the girl next to me and I were both bawling. Noticed the old lady next to me had her hands clasped together near her face. She was hanging on every word.

I'm gonna miss this show.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#81GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/6/17 at 12:01am

Since this is the Groundhog Day warm fuzzies thread, I thought I'd mention Tim Minchin was at the show last Thursday and Friday.

The Friday performance was my first time taking my boyfriend, who is a big Tim Minchin fan.  We were waiting around by the stage door afterwards when we spotted Tim talking to some guests.  We both had a moment of, "Is that...?" and yes, it was Tim Minchin, about 5 feet away from us! Tim said goodbye to his guests, then ran back into the theater promising those of us at the stage door that he'd be back.

When he came out again, Tim did the whole stage door line with signing programs, taking pictures, and chatting with everybody.  I don't know how to describe him other than adorable, cheerful, bouncy, and incredibly sweet.

He spent a few minutes chatting with us.  I got to tell him that the show really meant a lot to me, and that even if it wasn't a critical success, it made a difference in my life.  He seemed to appreciate that, and said he heard similar sentiments from others as well.  It was apparently the first time he had seen the show in several months and he really appreciated the energy of it.

The rest of the cast remains incredibly sweet and generous with their time.

Some adlibs: Sunday, beginning of Act II (before Phil commits suicide for the first time), Andy changed the line to something like, "Well whoop de fricking doo, it's Groundhog Day."  During Punxsutawney Rock, the adlib was, "Shake what your momma gave ya!"

I'm really sad that I won't get to see the show again in its current incarnation, but I'm so glad that I got to experience it.  Crossing my fingers that the tour thing happens and the show comes to me next time!!!

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#82GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/6/17 at 9:30am

The past three times I've seen this show, Jordan Grubb has gone on, and he was playing different roles each time. I'm truly impressed with his ability to play so many parts, and I look forward to supporting him in future projects. I'm going to miss the show so much.

(All swings impress me, of course. Jordan just happens to be the one I've seen the most often, in any show.)

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

HSky
#83GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:34am

Crazy NooNooHead said: "The past three times I've seen this show, Jordan Grubb has gone on, and he was playing different roles each time. I'm truly impressed with his ability to play so many parts, and I look forward to supporting him in future projects. I'm going to miss the show so much."

Agreed, I've seen him on in the Deputy and Gus tracks this week and previously as Fred and Hot Dog Vendor. 

The filming for TOFT is apparently this Friday, 9/8.

Tonight, Andy Karl didn't sing "don't give up" in the final lyric of "Hope" and went from "Baby..." to a little vocalization but still nailed the end "...hope."

Updated On: 9/8/17 at 01:34 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#84GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/8/17 at 7:25am

Late to this party, but one of my two favorite numbers in the show is "Night Will Come." Saw the Wednesday matinee, and the understudy, Joseph Medeiros, nailed it.  Just beautiful, a lovely rendition of this haunting song. The Groundhog second act knocks me out, as it circles and deepens, going so far beyond the film's emotional terrain.  An under-appreciated aspect of this show's ambitions and satisfying execution, ignored by too many

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

springwillcome
#85GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/8/17 at 11:54am

Auggie27 said: "Late to this party, but one of my two favorite numbers in the show is "Night Will Come." Saw the Wednesday matinee, and the understudy, Joseph Medeiros, nailed it. Just beautiful, a lovely rendition of this haunting song. The Groundhog second act knocks me out, as it circles and deepens, going so far beyond the film's emotional terrain. An under-appreciated aspect of this show's ambitions and satisfying execution, ignored by too many"

Joseph is awesome - he's usually mr cleveland / the deputy, one of my favorite tracks in the show. Super super kind guy too, I had one of my favorite stagedoor moments ever with him and it was entirely unexpected last week. I have a tendency to just be like "you were amazing as always!" as a default at the stagedoor if I don't have a planned question or something prepared, so when he came out, that's what I had intended on. But he recognized me, greeted me, and HE started asking ME questions about what number I was at, if I'd come to closing and when I'd come before then, what the fans were planning, etc. It turned into almost a 2 min conversation, it was really really nice. Anyway, that aside, he has a really lovely voice and I'm excited to see where he goes next. I've been lucky enough to see all 3 Ned's and each brings something different to the part while still nailing the character - sean is equally as nice and he was also really great to see, so keep an eye out for him in the future as well (and John of course, but I'm liking the past few posts giving swings + understudies some love too, so). 

billyelliotfan123
#86GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/8/17 at 12:34pm

Apparently there is a reason it is closing the public doesn't know? Does anyone have and info?

Tim Minchin tweeted last night:

https://twitter.com/timminchin/status/905908259730538496

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#87GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:24pm

billyelliotfan123 said: "Apparently there is a reason it is closing the public doesn't know? Does anyone have and info?

Tim Minchin tweeted last night:

https://twitter.com/timminchin/status/905908259730538496
"

I took that just to mean that Tim Minchin has opinions on why GHD didn't catch on in the states, and the politics of Broadway.  Just my read though.

Yankees02
#88GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 1:42am

i bought tickets for the final show in those seats, my first time seeing the show and wasnt sure about the seats. good to know you recommend them

Yankees02
#89GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 1:51am

greenifyme2 said: I recommend row F in the center mezz.

forgot to quote lol

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#90GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 9:17am

Going back tomorrow (Friday) night.  Still wonderful seats available at discounts. This was a show I had to see a 2nd time, especially the 2nd act. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

@z5
#91GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 9:45am

Gotta say the energy was pretty great at the show last night...lots of applause throughout the entire performance and Andy was on fire!! (as was the rest of the cast)

-Also I did rush a couple hours after the box office opens and for side mezzo row L and the seat was actually pretty good! Would definitely recommend it. Great for taking in the entire production, and I was still able to see actors faces well and everything. 

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#92GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 12:43pm

I'm arriving tomorrow night from California to see this show for the first time.  Do you know what the TKTS price is for an orchestra seat?  I entered the lottery and didn't win, so wondering how much more TKTS will be versus the lottery promo code.  I don't mind paying more for a slightly better seat.  Thanks for any advice.  I'm seeing it on Saturday, too, from the mezz.  

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#93GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 5:30pm

NYfanfromCA said: "I'm arriving tomorrow night from California to see this show for the first time. Do you know what the TKTS price is for an orchestra seat? I entered the lottery and didn't win, so wondering how much more TKTS will be versus the lottery promo code. I don't mind paying more for a slightly better seat. Thanks for any advice. I'm seeing it on Saturday, too, from the mezz."

Okay, I went ahead and bought the lottery loser promo code ticket and will plan to upgrade to a better seat at the box office tomorrow night if I get there in time.  I'm planning to stage door for the first time, any tips on where to stand or how to do this?  So excited to be seeing this! 

springwillcome
#94GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 5:47pm

NYfanfromCA said: "NYfanfromCA said: "I'm arriving tomorrow night from California to see this show for the first time. Do you know what the TKTS price is for an orchestra seat? I entered the lottery and didn't win, so wondering how much more TKTS will be versus the lottery promo code. I don't mind paying more for a slightly better seat. Thanks for any advice. I'm seeing it on Saturday, too, from the mezz."

Okay, I went ahead and bought the lottery loser promo code ticket and will plan to upgrade to a better seat at the box office tomorrow night if I get there in time. I'm planning to stage door for the first time, any tips on where to stand or how to do this? So excited to be seeing this!
"

I'm not so sure about upgrading - I've gotten front row center with the loser code, so that's usually the most expensive for the best seat if you use it at all, but maybe they'll have something. Stagedoor is to the left of the entrance if you're walking in, to the right if you're walking out, and super super easy. Maybe it'll be busier cause closing weekend but I wouldnt worry. If you dont get a spot on the barricade theyre pretty chill about just continuing the line further down rather than having more than a few rows of people. Every time I'm there after half the crowd leaves andy will encourage everyone to scootch down and spread out so he can get to everyone, so you should really be fine. Have fun!!! 

springwillcome
#95GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 8:47pm

Closing night was all sold except for accessible seats and I was freaking out because of the unknown-rush policy and risking it with lotto wasnt sitting well with me. Checked an hour ago and they released around 25 seats in the center orch!!! Officially have closing tickets now, hopefully someone else who needed tix sees this and can get them too :)

Malka2 Profile Photo
Malka2
#96GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 10:28pm

"
When Andy says "Mrs. Landcaster, this coffee is remarkably drinkable" he forgot to take a sip before starting the line. He caught himself but started laughing, so did she, and it took a few seconds for him to recover. Such a cute moment."

Thanks for explaining that! I was also at that show and couldn't understand why he was laughing. When he was supposed to say "You guys have a great day" as he walked out the door he got out the "You guys" then had to stop and compose himself before he got the rest of the line out.

upinlights Profile Photo
upinlights
#97GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 11:15pm

A little late to add on to this, but I love this show so much I just had to say something. I've seen it twice, and it's moved me in the weirdest ways. I just think it's fantastic storytelling-- the whole idea of moving on and being able to recognize your personal flaws is told effortlessly. Andy's Phil feels like a real person, and I rooted for him the whole time. 

The first time I saw the show was during previews, and I stagedoored after and EVERYONE came out. Like, every last person in the show. They all stopped to talk to my sister and me, and I was so pleasantly surprised to see how humble and excited about the show they were. I had a nice convo with Andy, and I could not get over how genuinely nice he was. 

The second time I saw the show, during the scene where Rita and Phil are throwing snowballs, Andy got an absolute FACE FULL of snow, and he was just spitting out all this snow for 30 seconds. It was such a (this is weird I know haha) moment of bonding with Andy, Barrett, and the audience, and it's a moment that'll stick with me. I'd love to see the final show this weekend, but I'm unfortunately out of town. At least we have our memories! Happy trails to all involved. 

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#98GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/14/17 at 11:48pm

A similar thing happened to me! I've been wanting to see this show for months, but I haven't had the time and I just moved to Boston, so I had accepted that given that I need time to adjust to living in a new city, I wouldn't have time to see this show before it closed. I realized yesterday that I have a lot of free time this weekend, enough to see Groundhog Day, and I scoured the internet for tickets, but I couldn't find any, much to my disappointment. I checked again this morning and there were two tickets available in the rear mezzanine, right in my price range, so I snapped up a ticket and I'm so thrilled that I'll get to see this show before it closes!!

Kara Lee Sweeny
#99GROUNDHOG DAY APPRECIATION THREAD
Posted: 9/16/17 at 5:16pm

Saw it for the fourth and final time last night ....... so incredibly sad but happy that I got to experience it. I'm kind of at a loss for words right now..... so many things I want to say but I am legit starting to cry on the train right now.