pixeltracker

"The Cher Show" - Chicago premiere, Neil Simon Theatre Fall 2018

"The Cher Show" - Chicago premiere, Neil Simon Theatre Fall 2018

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#1"The Cher Show" - Chicago premiere, Neil Simon Theatre Fall 2018
Posted: 9/28/17 at 8:00am

As per Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/news/ct-ent-cher-musical-chicago-20170927-story.html

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2"The Cher Show" - Chicago premiere, Neil Simon Theatre Fall 2018
Posted: 9/28/17 at 8:38am

weres Lesli M. and Lena hall attached to this at one point? Are they still?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

adagio
#3"The Cher Show" - Chicago premiere, Neil Simon Theatre Fall 2018
Posted: 9/28/17 at 8:54am

Man Chicago hasn't had great luck with the pre-Broadway tryouts lately. We get Margaritaville and Cher while Mean Girls went to DC (despite Tina Fey's connections to Chicago).

Easier on my wallet I suppose.

pc1145N
#4I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 10:32am

This is fantastic news!! Count me in!

Markecib
#5I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 10:52am

Call_me_jorge said: "weres Lesli M. and Lena hall attached to this at one point? Are they still?"

I know Lesli is no long attached.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:23am

Man Chicago hasn't had great luck with the pre-Broadway tryouts lately. We get Margaritaville and Cher while Mean Girls went to DC (despite Tina Fey's connections to Chicago).

Well, we also had Gotta Dance, The Last Ship, Amazing Grace and On Your Feet, so it's not like Chicago's tryouts are getting any worse.  Don't forget, we're also getting Pretty Woman.  It's going to be an interesting season of sorts.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Call_me_jorge
#7I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:28am

The last show to tryout here and be successful was spamalot, no? Why do they keep coming here?

I think it’s interesting this show is going into the Neil Simon. Both big fish and last ship went there and look at how successful they were

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#8I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:29am

Another biographical musical produced by its subject matter. Is this the new way for stars to create a legacy and control their own narratives?

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#9I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:31am

Time will tell.  If I see it, I'll get my tickets at TKTS.  I think it's pretty safe to say that this isn't going to be a massive hit.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#10I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:46am

Call_me_jorge said: "The last show to tryout here and be successful was spamalot, no? Why do they keep coming here?

I think it’s interesting this show is going into the Neil Simon. Both big fish and last ship went there and look at how successful they were
"

Kinky Boots was fairly successful, they had a Chicago tryout. And it's never about just the theater. It's always how well the show works in that space, and then the marketing. I'd have liked for this to end up in August Wilson but I doubt Mean Girls would leave anytime soon.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Call_me_jorge
#11I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:48am

Omg, totally forgot about kinky boots being in Chicago! Thanks for that reminder.

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 11:48 AM

JSquared2
#12I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 11:52am

raddersons said: "Another biographical musical produced by its subject matter. Is this the new way for stars to create a legacy and control their own narratives?"

Right --- because Cher needs help from Broadway to "create a legacy"!  Also, she's not a producer of the show.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#13I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:23pm

JSquared2 said: "Right --- because Cher needs help from Broadway to "create a legacy"! Also, she's not a producer of the show."

Not trying to hate on Cher. Girl's an icon.

Maybe "creating a legacy" is the wrong choice of words. These vanity-type projects do rub me the wrong way, as a way to control a narrative about your life. On Your Feet is one that just closed (and personally, I think was taking up precious theater space for something else that is probably better) -- and there's more that are coming up that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Also, maybe she's not one of the lead producers doing the work, but I would find it bizarre if she's putting absolutely none of her own money into the show.

Edit: Tina Turner, Donna Summer, Whitney Houston, to name a few. I love them all, but... it just seems like a lazy cash grab by producers. 

Updated On: 9/28/17 at 12:23 PM

broadwayboy223
#14I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:27pm

War Paint had a really successful tryout in Chicago 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#15I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:34pm

Better than The Bay Area's recent track record! Roman Holiday, Monsoon Wedding, Amelie - and that's kind of it from the last few years, isn't it? Our big "claims to fame" are Beautiful, Wicked, Legally Blonde, and American Idiot, but I don't think we've had anything close that level since beautiful (4 or 5 years ago?). Maybe Prince of Egypt will change that, but then again, maybe not. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#16I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:43pm

JBroadway said: "Better than The Bay Area's recent track record! Roman Holiday, Monsoon Wedding, Amelie - and that's kind of it from the last few years, isn't it? Our big "claims to fame" are Beautiful, Wicked, Legally Blonde, and American Idiot, but I don't think we've had anything closethat level since beautiful (4 or 5 years ago?). Maybe Prince of Egypt will change that, but then again, maybe not."

Well, Wicked and Legally Blonde were dramatically altered from their SF tryouts.  Was American Idiot intended as a pre-Broadway tryout as it was at Berkeley Rep?   

Trish2
#17I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:44pm

"The Cher Show" really screams Jason Moore and Christopher Gattelli?  Odd choice and pairing.

VintageSnarker
#18I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 1:26pm

I've lost a lot of interest if Lesli isn't attached. I know she isn't as tall as Cher but otherwise, she'd be fantastic. Right now I can't think of a better actress to play her.

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#19I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 3:55pm

The press release states that this will not be a "conventional" musical, it will be taking place in "Cher"'s mind as memories.  Most of the people attached to this aren't slouches.  I learned a long time ago to never underestimate Cher.  I predict, due to her strong and very loyal following, that this show will be an amazing hit.  It will finally give Cher the Tony that she deserved when she was in "Come Back To The Five and Dime".  How could all of you forget the pre-Broadway run of "The First Wives Club"...

Call_me_jorge
#20I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 3:58pm

broadwayboy223 said: "War Paint had a really successful tryout in Chicago"

It wasn’t successful on Broadway, which was the point I was trying to get across. Sorry if I wasn’t clear

JSquared2
#21I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 4:02pm

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "The press release states that this will not be a "conventional" musical, it will be taking place in "Cher"'s mind as memories. Most of the people attached to this aren't slouches. I learned a long time ago to never underestimate Cher. I predict, due to her strong and very loyal following, that this show will be an amazing hit. It will finally give Cher the Tony that she deserved when she was in "Come Back To The Five and Dime". How could all of you forget the pre-Broadway run of "The First Wives Club"..."

Why would Cher receive a Tony?  She's not starring in it or writing new material or producing the show.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#22I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 4:05pm

JSquared2 said: "Why would Cher receive a Tony? She's not starring in it or writing new material or producing the show."

Old reports of the show said she would be playing the oldest Cher. Not sure if that's the case anymore. 

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#23I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 4:12pm

Cher is going to one of the producers of the show, so theoretically if the show wins Best Musical, she would win a producer Tony.  It won't be eligible for score (of course), but it would be a hands down winner for Best Costume Design...

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#24I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 4:20pm

Old reports of the show said she would be playing the oldest Cher. Not sure if that's the case anymore. 

Nope.  3 separate actresses will be playing Cher through the 3 stages of her life and career.  

JSquared2
#25I'll be there!
Posted: 9/28/17 at 4:43pm

ChgoTheatreGuy said: "Cher is going to one of the producers of the show, so theoretically if the show wins Best Musical, she would win a producer Tony. It won't be eligible for score (of course), but it would be a hands down winner for Best Costume Design..."

No.  She is not a producer of the show (directly or indirectly).  The producers are Jeffrey Seller and Flody Suarez.  I also doubt that Cher is going to be designing the costumes.  Her only involvement is going to be cashing the royalty checks.

Videos