pixeltracker

Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy- Page 2

Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#25Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:29pm

His quote alleging that Great Comet didn’t take the time to cultivate diversity makes my blood boil. What an asshat.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:30pm

I can't wait for Cynthia Erivo to weigh in. 

AllThatJazz2
#27Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:33pm

Wow. Just...wow. 

ladypresent
#28Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:34pm

Evreyone calm down...his point is this:

there is a difference of putting a black man into a white role and making a show about black or minorities. 
ie: carousel is using a "gimmick" (oak's words) by casting a black man in the role of billy bigelow. That is the gimmick and selling point of the show. There is almost no other reason to cast a black man in this role than the gimmick and the selling of tix and Scott Rudin knows this. Josh Henry is incredibly talented, im not saying he isn't and will perform the hell out of this (probably), but the GIMMICK of him being black in a role that has ALWAYS been played by a white man will sell tix and as such ...GImmick. 

Right now black actors and minorities are being used primarily as Gimmicks to get press or sell tx. Norm Lewis as the "first black man to play the phantom!! come see it!!" (eh..)

Ali Ewoldt is the first phillipino person to play christine come see it!! (she is the best christine i have ever seen. They should have hired her years ago)

until the actor who is hired is not seen as a gimmick to sell tix, we are deluding ourselves that race is still not an issue. So what oak is saying is that until we are done with the gimmick of this...we won't be able to move on and just cast racially blind casting or create art for just art. 

(watch....in 8..12..20  years when Hamiltion starts to slow down they will re cast the whole thing white and have king george be black and people will ooh and ahh about the amazing artistic choice)

its like doing a 1776 with all women. gimmick
its like doing hamlet with a woman as hamlet...gimmick. 

although i don't know if the "gimmick" works inversely.

Like if you had an all white once on this island i bet people would lose their minds and protest. Or if there was a white Lion King. I think it only works if the minority takes over the presumed constant majority's job. You wouldn't see it flipped because the PC police would go nuts 

JIMG3
#29Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:37pm

I’d like the address and location, of the world he lives in. He needs to spend more time learning his craft, and less time making a complete ass of himself. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#30Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:39pm

I find that I have no interest reading posts that being with "Everyone calm down," even more so when "Everyone" is misspelled.

Updated On: 10/4/17 at 12:39 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#31Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:39pm

JIMG3 said: "I’d like the address and location, of the world he lives in. He needs to spend more time learning his craft, and less time making a complete ass of himself."

Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#32Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:42pm

newintown said: "I find that I have no interest reading posts that being with "Everyone calm down," even more so when "Everyone" is misspelled."

And... "phillipino"?!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:45pm

...the selling point of the Carousel revival is a black Billy? Huh?

I thought the selling point of the Carousel revival is the fact it's Carousel.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 10/4/17 at 12:45 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#34Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:46pm

ladypresent said: "Evreyone calm down...his point is this:

there is a difference of putting a black man into a white role and making a show about black or minorities.
ie: carousel is using a "gimmick" (oak's words) by casting a black man in the role of billy bigelow. That is the gimmick and selling point of the show. There is almost no other reason to cast a black man in this role than the gimmick and the selling of tix and Scott Rudin knows this. Josh Henry is incredibly talented, im not saying he isn't and will perform the hell out of this (probably), but the GIMMICK of him being black in a role that has ALWAYS been played by a white man will sell tix and as such ...GImmick.
"

I...feel like if anyone is going to see Carousel because of anything related to Josh Henry, it's because they like Josh Henry. My mom wants to see Carousel and she has no idea who is in it.

Also please stop using the word gimmick.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

BroadwayConcierge
#35Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:47pm

ladypresent said: "There is almost no other reason to cast a black man in this role than the gimmick and the selling of tix"

Please show me one single advertisement where they've drawn attention to the fact that Billy Bigelow will be black. Just one.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#36Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:52pm

And I am curious as to how he would define 'cultivation of diversity.' What does that mean? 

Hiring Oak Onaodowan, of course.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#37Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:54pm

Can some clarify for me? I never understood why there was such a big uproar over Oak's casting. I never thought replacing him with Patinkin was a comment on race. I don't really understand how race got called into it.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#38Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:56pm

Wasn’t the gimmick of hiring oak was that he was apart of Hamilton? I think It was oak himself who brought the idea of race into it. 

Also, I agree. I hate gimmick. It sounds and looks ugly.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JIMG3
#39Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:57pm

“Can some clarify for me? I never understood why there was such a big uproar over Oak's casting. I never thought replacing him with Patinkin was a comment on race. I don't really understand how race got called into it.”

Ask Cynthia Erivo.

Updated On: 10/4/17 at 12:57 PM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#40Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 12:59pm

Scarywarhol said: "It's also extremely dismissive of Denee's contribution to the show (as a title character!) to act as though it didn't mean something until he stepped into Pierre. "

Yes. This. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#41Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:15pm

That was a seriously annoying read no matter where you stood on this (except for those mindless social media folks who have quick fingers) or what your opinions were on how this whole discussion happened here and elsewhere.

KathyNYC2
#42Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:17pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "ladypresent said: "There is almost no other reason to cast a black man in this role than the gimmick and the selling of tix"

Please show me one single advertisement where they've drawn attention to the fact that Billy Bigelow will be black. Just one.
"

Just YES.

I mean if we are upset about his race comments just think how the extremely multi racial cast of Comet must feel.Ugh. I guess the jobs are not rolling in. 

Updated On: 10/4/17 at 01:17 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#43Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:18pm

@ladypresent: isn’t really all casting a gimmick to sell tickets? that’s why people produce theater.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#44Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:21pm

LOL 

Great Comet obviously cultivated him, if he is the poster child for diversity on Broadway who sacrificed himself at its altar, giving him more time and lessening his instrumental requirements. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#45Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:22pm

@ladypresent, I want to sympathize with your viewpoint, but I find your whole post to be confusing to read and not sure what your point is. How is the casting of Joshua Henry as Billy Bigelow more of a gimmick than hiring Oak in Natasha, Pierre, etc. using your logic? How hasn't the Great Comet cultivated a culture of diversity? I'm asking the latter question of someone who is familiar with the trend of false appearances of diversity in the corporate world for PR reasons that lack substance.

I tried sympathizing with Oak throughout this ordeal, but he comes off badly here. 

Updated On: 10/4/17 at 01:22 PM

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#46Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:30pm

I wish Oak would have come to the last show. I wish he would have seen Denee struggling to get through the final songs, or Rachel having to put her hands over her face or Dave sobbing as the comet shone one last time, or the ensemble shaking and hugging each other between numbers, or the bartender wiping away a tear, or the ushers handing Kleenex to each other.

Thank god for twitters that name when an understudy is going on because I will be using that next time he’s in a show.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#47Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:36pm

"Norm Lewis as the "first black man to play the phantom!! come see it!!"

Actually Norm Lewis was the first black Phantom and he sold a crap ton of tickets because he was the real deal. It is sad that Oak does address the concerns the creative were having with his level of preparedness. It's all finger pointing. He's deluded because he was associated with Hamilton.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#48Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:41pm

ladypresent said: "Evreyone calm down...his point is this:

Maybe he was cast because he was the best person for the role? Most people buying tickets to this revival of Carousel have no clue who is in the cast.  They're simply buying tickets to a revival of a popular Rodgers and Hammerstein show. Where and when has the show advertised that they have a "black Billy"? I've seen no press release or ads or anything to that effect.

Right now black actors and minorities are being used primarily as Gimmicks to get press or sell tx. Norm Lewis as the "first black man to play the phantom!! come see it!!" (eh..)

Where was this publicized? I don't think the tourists buying tickets to Phantom care who the Phantom is or what his ethnicity is.

Ali Ewoldt is the first phillipinoperson to play christine come see it!! (she is the best christine i have ever seen. They should have hired her years ago)

Again, you really think the people seeing Phantom these days care?  Where is this ad campaign advertising a Filipino Christine? Please show us.

until the actor who is hired is not seen as a gimmick to sell tix, we are deluding ourselves that race is still not an issue. So what oak is saying is that until we are done with the gimmick of this...we won't be able to move on and just cast racially blind casting or create art for just art.

No one is saying it's not an issue.  Diversity on Broadway IS a big issue.  But in this particular case, race had NOTHING to do with it.  He wasn't selling tickets, he was unprepared, and a big star was waiting in the wings.  That's showbiz.

(watch....in 8..12..20 years when Hamiltion starts to slow down they will re cast the whole thing white and have king george be black and people will ooh and ahh about the amazing artistic choice)

Not while Lin is alive, if you take him at his word.  He's made that quite clear numerous times.

its like doing a 1776 with all women. gimmick

I agree this is a gimmick, but it's not remotely related to any of the other examples you gave.

its like doing hamlet with a woman as hamlet...gimmick.

Gender bending in Shakespeare has been around almost as long as the plays have.

although i don't know if the "gimmick" works inversely.

Like if you had an all white once on this island i bet people would lose their minds and protest. Or if there was a white Lion King. I think it only works if the minority takes over the presumed constant majority's job. You wouldn't see it flipped because the PC police would go nuts
"

Of course it only works one way. It's because there's plenty of "white roles." Roles for non-whites and POC? Not so much.

schubox
#49Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/4/17 at 1:45pm

Don’t think I’ve ever lost respect for an actor faster. I remember when I learned that Groban would be gone when I was going a second time to the show, but my gf and I were so excited to see that Oak was taking over for our dates (ended up being the week Dave had to cover). We both liked him and were excited to see him in the role. And now I can’t stand the guy. What a complete ass 

Videos