Magic to Do - Pippin
Alexander Hamilton - Hamilton
Audition - 42nd Street
Prologue - Into the Woods
Runyonland - Guys & Dolls

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#28BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/8/17 at 12:29pm

I love this thread. Mine have all been mentioned but "I Hope I Get It," "The Circle of Life" (even though I don't like the rest of the show, I'd pay just to see that number) and "Ragtime."

broadwaysfguy
#29BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/8/17 at 12:34pm

god i love a great opening number for a bway musical....

hello-bom

alexander hamilton ham

anotther day-ntn

Oh what a beautiful morning oklahomA

falsettoswasrobbed
#30BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 2:53pm

prologue (literally any opening number called prologue always ends up being such a jam)

josh147
#31BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 3:04pm

Surprised no one's said Rent - that's right up there for me. In no order, at least for right now:

Rent - Rent

Prologue - Great Comet

Circle of Life - Lion King

In the Heights - In the Heights

Welcome to the Rock - Come from Away (haven't seen it, but love it from just listening)

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#32BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 3:15pm

PIPPIN
RAGTIME
CAROUSEL

jbird5
#33BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 3:25pm

“If You Knew My Story” from Brightstar with Carmen Cusack.

BwayDreamer00
#34BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 4:41pm

Wilkomen from Cabaret is brilliant as well as All That Jazz from Chicago (Kander and Ebb KNOW how to make a good opening that grabs your attention!)

But OH MY GOD YOU GUYS don't forget about OH MY GOD YOU GUYS from Legally Blonde! It perfectly captures what the show is and what the show is going to be. 

A personal favorite of mine is Wide Open Spaces from Curtains (also Kander and Ebb hehe) because it's a different way to start a show. Instead of opening the show itself it opens the show INSIDE of the show to start the murder mystery. 

a-mad
#35BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 4:54pm

Kudos to all of you who listed my #1 - RAGTIME!  What a glorious opening... esp. at the climax of the piece once everyone's been introduced - truly stunning, stirring music and staging.

And also kudos to the poster who mentioned Circle of Life, and that it was the reason to see Lion King alone - I personally agree.  Nothing after it was nearly as interesting - and as wonderful as the opening was, I was so disappointed in the rest of it that I'm still bitter it beat out Ragtime for the Tony... (and this is from a big Disney fan).

JSquared2
#36BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 5:06pm

A few that were not yet mentioned...

"Overture" - NINE (Tommy Tune staging)

"King of Broadway" - THE PRODUCERS

"Will-a-Mania" - THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES

bk
#37BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 5:12pm

Thanks for the amusement.  Any lists that included no shows over a decade old are amusing and even if those lists include a show that IS over a decade old it's only because it was recently revived.

So, let me be the older person who mentions what has always been one of the greatest opening numbers in the history of musicals - four minutes of absolute perfection - setting the world of the show and introducing almost every major character in the show, along with what we're in store for.  It is and will always be my favorite opening number ever written - It's a Typical Day from Li'l Abner.  Now quick, go look it up :)

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#38BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 5:19pm

I think some of these are brilliant on their own (i.e., Into The Woods) and some are really only incredible because of their staging (i.e., Guys & Dolls). Few are brilliant all-around, although I think Phantom (the overture, although it isn't exactly the very first thing to happen in the show) is a winner both in content (those organs! those keys!) and staging (the chandelier!).

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#39BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 5:20pm

Even though "St. Bridgette" opens "Mame," it's more of a prologue.........I would have to say "It's Today" is a fantastic opening number!

JayC3
#40BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 5:46pm

Ragtime

Thoroughly Modern Millie is a fun one.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#41BEST MUSICAL OPENING NUMBER
Posted: 10/9/17 at 6:28pm

The Old Red Hills of Home from PARADE is perfect. I still don't understand how a song could make me sympathize with the Jim Crow south, but it does.

Similarly, The New World Opening from SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD is so well written and stands alone as just a fantastic piece of music.

Four Jews... from FALSETTOS is a pretty brilliant opening.

The Prologues from WEST SIDE STORY and RAGTIME. 

Tradition from FIDDLER. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."