pixeltracker

Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#1Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 12/5/17 at 1:19pm

I just noticed today that ONCE ON THIS ISLAND pulled all their discount codes. I shouldn't have hesitated and bought yesterday. Good for them though...hopefully a long run ahead. 

For people who have been, can you please tell me what section is the best to sit in? The Odd 200's on the left or the even 200's on the right? Or even the 100 (odd or even)? Since we are going to pay full price, I just don't want to be blocked by a tree.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#2Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 12/5/17 at 1:44pm

I sat in the odd 100s, almost on the aisle next to the odd 200s. If I had to choose again, I would pick a seat in the center of the odd 200s. There's a staircase which leads to a walkway that cuts through the section, and the actors, mostly Lea Salonga, use it regularly throughout the show. So, if you want to be in the middle of the action, I would recommend that side. Also, it offers a better view of the truck that's part of the set than the even 200s would. I'm sure the even 200s are also excellent, but the view is probably better from the other side, in my opinion.

Updated On: 12/5/17 at 01:44 PM

BroadwayBeebe
#3Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 12/5/17 at 1:47pm

I was row D in the Odd 200’s and thought I had the perfect view.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#4Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 12/5/17 at 1:54pm

Anyone sat front row of the 400's?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#5Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 12/5/17 at 1:56pm

I think there are pros and cons to every angle. I saw it a few days ago from row A in the odd 200s side and thought it was a perfect view of most things, but really couldn't see Lea Salonga (when she wasn't on the main stage) or the first half of "One Small Girl" (when Little Ti Moune is in the tree) without totally twisting my body around. I have tickets to see it again from the opposite side (row D in the even 200s) and I'm sure that I'll have trouble seeing the truck and whatever else is going on on that side, but will get to see different things than the first time.

Hate to give a non-answer answer... but the theatre is so small and the show is fairly immersive, so I genuinely don't think it matters where you sit - you'll have a great experience either way.

(The one 'exception' is maybe the back section in the 400s... certainly still a great view of the majority of the show, but there's one scene in particular that you'd have a totally different experience than the rest of the audience. I'm sure the show has taken that into consideration and gives that section something cool to look at, but if it's all the same and you have your choice of seats, I'd probably pick a different section.)

Edit: to answer OP's question, no matter where you sit there won't be a tree that blocks your view. (Don't want to get more detailed than that in the interest of spoilers, but feel free to PM me.)

Updated On: 12/5/17 at 01:56 PM

Patty3
#6Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 12/5/17 at 2:54pm

CT2NYC said: "I sat in the odd 100s, almost on the aisle next to the odd 200s. If I had to choose again, I would pick a seat in the center of the odd 200s. There's a staircase that cuts through the section, and the actors, mostly Lea Salonga, use it regularly throughout the show. So, if you want to be in the middle of the action, I would recommend that side. Also, it offers a better view of the truck that's part of the set than the even 200s would. I'm sure the even 200s are also excellent, but the view is probably better from the other side, in my opinion."

I set in Row C in the odd 200's on the aisle that the actors use. It was a little too in the middle of the action. Lea Salonga came over and spoke to us before the show started (we didn't know it was her at first) saying that the actors use the path throughout the entire show. My nephew was sitting on the end seat and I suggested we switch seats because my legs are shorter. Lea agreed. It was still a tight squeeze for the actors to get through. I sat with my legs and body turned to the side for most of the show. When Lea made her exit after the first number she held my leg and a pole to get past me and up the stairs. That path was used quite frequently and I was always brushed with the actors costumes. Hailey Kilgore's dress covered my lap at one point. I know it would be hard with tickets on sale until next January but they really should remove that seat or at least get rid of the pipe that stuck out into the aisle in front of the seat. One thing that was amazing is that I could hear Lea's vocals over the rest of the cast when she was standing 2-3 feet from me. Something I will never forget.

Updated On: 12/5/17 at 02:54 PM

tkn33
#7Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 10:29pm

Can anyone tell me the exact seat number that is right by the aisle in the odd 200's that the actors cut through. I know Patty3 said she sat in Row C in the odd 200's. I am trying to figure out which end of the odd 200's that is in.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 10:50pm

If the 400s are not partial view, at least they are 'different than the rest of the theatre view.

And for being theatre in the round, I could tell the director had a preference of the audience entrance as a 'front view' for quite a few scenes.

I liked the vision for the overall look of the musical, but I'm not sure that Arden understands basic blocking for this kind of space, he just trusted the intimacy of it.

It takes experience for the audience not to feel they ate given a 'side' view in this type of space. The way the car, bed, etc are positioned, they all are directed to the entrance as a front.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#9Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 11:02pm

tkn33 said: "Can anyone tell me the exact seat number that is right by the aisle in the odd 200's that the actors cut through. I know Patty3 said she sat in Row C in the odd 200's. I am trying to figure out which end of the odd 200's that is in."

In row C, it would be seat 237. Here's a pic looking at the odd 200's, from the even 200's:

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#10Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 8:16am

blaxx said: "And for being theatre in the round, I could tell the director had a preference of the audience entrance as a 'front view' for quite a few scenes."

I agree. Having seen the show 3 times in different areas (sat by the lake/river the first time; sat by the truck where Mama cooks food the second time; and sat by the tree the third time) I'd say that a good number of key scenes were based from sitting by the lake/front (where audience enter) area. 

However, during previews, I did see Michael Arden and Nikki James at the SRO area on the tree side. Overall I'd say any seat is fine but if I were to see it one more time in the summer, I'd pay to sit in the front row so I can feel the sand!!!!!!!! 

frapp2latte2
#11Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 11:15am

Wick3 said: "blaxx said: "And for being theatre in the round, I could tell the director had a preference of the audience entrance as a 'front view' for quite a few scenes."

I agree. Having seen the show 3 times in different areas (sat by the lake/river the first time; sat by the truck where Mama cooks food the second time; and sat by the tree the third time) I'd say that a good number of key scenes were based from sitting by the lake/front (where audience enter) area.

However, during previews, I did see Michael Arden and Nikki James at the SRO area on the tree side. Overall I'd say any seat is fine but if I were to see it one more time in the summer, I'd pay to sit in the front row so I can feel the sand!!!!!!!!
"

By the lake / front, do you mean the Odd 200's side? 

I'm planning to get tickets to see this soon. I see you get to be in the middle of the action near row C seat 237 where the actors pass but JudyDenmark says she couldn't see Lea for some parts of it. For those who have seen it, which seats would offer the best view of Lea Salonga's parts overall?

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#12Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 12:46pm

Both times we saw the production, we sat in the even 200s (by where Mama cooks pre-show) and had fantastic angles on Lea Salonga throughout the show. No closeups (though you get some great closeups of Mama/Alex Newell) but you can see her perfectly in every scene she appears in.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#13Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 1:41pm

I sat in the 100s and was happy with it. It has the best perspective on the car crash sequence and Lea Salonga faces that section for much of "The Human Heart". Also, Philip Boykin stood right next to me for a few minutes during one sequence.

I would probably avoid the 400s. There's one scene done in silhouette, and if you're in the 400s, you'd see the actors behind the screen rather than the silhouettes themselves, and while it might be interesting, I think it would be more effective to see the silhouette.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

frapp2latte2
#14Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 11:46pm

Thanks! I'll probably get a seat anywhere in the 100's or even 200's for a good view. But then hearing Lea's vocals clearly over on the odd 200's does sound tempting despite its disadvantages in terms of view of her parts. Now I'm confused which one to go for. laugh

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#15Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 6:50pm

BUMPING...

Would the "front" everyone was talking about mean the 100s section? Looking for clarification here.

Thanks! Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?

NievesG Profile Photo
NievesG
#16Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 7:07pm

LimelightMike said: "BUMPING...

Would the "front" everyone was talking about mean the 100s section? Looking for clarification here.

Thanks! Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
"

Yes, 100s are the "front", 200 sides, and 400s "back"

NievesG Profile Photo
NievesG
#17Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 7:09pm

Also in reply to the board... I was in 100s even (great seat) but I'd see it again in 200s odd for a different perspective.

AllThatJazz2
#18Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 7:22pm

I see a lot of people referencing the odd-200s. I have a seat for Row AA 206...for lack of a better way to phrase it, will I have a good view? (It looked like it from the few photos I could find, but would love to hear from someone who has actually been.)

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#19Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 7:48pm

AllThatJazz2: If I am looking at the seating chart on telecharge correct, you are in the first row and going to be RIGHT in the action. Literally. Your feet will be in the sand and you will possibly get to interact with some of the actors in the preshow so make sure to get there early to experience it as long as you can.

Really there is not a bad seat in the house... MINUS the 400s. As someone previously mentioned, there is a scene that is done in silhouette and the 400 section misses the effect entirely. Other than that, the fact it's such a small space really makes for a many great angles and every seat will have its own unique view of the show. It depends on what you like. Like personally, I prefer to get more of an overview of the whole stage so while I could have had first row seats when I got my tickets, I opted for G201 which is the last row on the side right at the start of the curve. It was a great view of the whole space and a number of entrances and exits happened right beside me including the finale Ti Moune entrance.

NievesG Profile Photo
NievesG
#20Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 7:52pm

AllThatJazz2 said: "I see a lot of people referencing the odd-200s. I have a seat for Row AA 206...for lack of a better way to phrase it, will I have a good view? (It looked like it from the few photos I could find, but would love to hear from someone who has actually been.)"

That's an excellent seat, in my opinion. I'll just echo all other comments about the theater being so small and intimate that "all seats are good seats." I think the interest in the odd 200s are that there is a lot of movement by the actors from that area and it looked very exciting to sit in that section, especially around the 240s.

TranVanDinh Profile Photo
TranVanDinh
#21Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 8:02pm

AllThatJazz2 said: "I see a lot of people referencing the odd-200s. I have a seat for Row AA 206...for lack of a better way to phrase it, will I have a good view? (It looked like it from the few photos I could find, but would love to hear from someone who has actually been.)"

Let us know how it looks from that seat. 

I'm sitting in AA 209 in a couple weeks.....cannot wait!!

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#22Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 8:31pm

We were in B 215 & 217 a couple of weeks ago, and thought our seats were amazing.

#23Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:10pm

This show is a must see!

bwayemma
#24Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/24/18 at 3:05am

I sat Orchestra Row A, Seat 102 & 104 with my dad right in front of Agwe's lake AKA the OOTI Splash Zone!! Such a fun experience and great area to sit in. Highly recommend if you don't mind getting lightly splashed :)

Timothy Davis
#25Once on this Island - Seating Recommendations?
Posted: 4/24/18 at 11:43am

TranVanDinh said: "AllThatJazz2 said: "I see a lot of people referencing the odd-200s. I have a seat for Row AA 206...for lack of a better way to phrase it, will I have a good view? (It looked like it from the few photos I could find, but would love to hear from someone who has actually been.)"

Let us know how it looks from that seat.

I'm sitting in AA 209 in a couple weeks.....cannot wait!!

"

I sat AA 211 Saturday night which is the end of the row next to the aisle/tree. That seat was AMAZING. Pre show the row got to pet the chicken and talk to mama. They also asked me to help move the tree, the actors skim very close past you all the time, and Alex Newell blew me a kiss during the show. 10/10 recommend that group of seats. 

Videos