pixeltracker

Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring- Page 2

Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#25Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 12/20/17 at 8:28am

Lot666 said: "kyle4 said: "

it's FINE... the audience went CRAZY for it when i saw it last TUESDAY...

the BOOK is CLUNKY... often OBTUSE...

but they use some of her songs to GREAT EFFECT... my FAVORITE: "I FEEL LOVE" sung by various GROUPS... her PARENTS... her and BRUCE... her and her KIDS... it was MOVING and it'sALWAYS been a GREAT SONG...

even when you are SITTING there wondering if you LIKED it or NOT... you find yourself SPRINGING TO YOUR FEET for LAST DANCE !!! because... well, there is a WOMAN with A GREAT VOICE... singing LAST DANCE... with CONFETTI FLYING AROUND... WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO ?!!!

and, after that, you would feel like a HYPOCRITE disparaging the show...

there are WAY WORSE JUKE BOX MUSICALS..... WAY...

it is in the "BETTER" JUKE BOX MUSICAL CATEGORY...

if you are a DISCO QUEEN and a THEATER QUEEN, you WILL BE THERE...

what's to DISCUSS ?!!!

p.s. they do some REALLY FUN, ARTISTIC STUFF with the LIGHTING !!! the LIGHTING is one of the BEST PARTSof the show !!!

p.p.s. i am sure they are on the PHONE with ANDY KARL trying to talk him into playing BRUCE SUDANO as i type!!!!
"

No offense, but WRITING like THIS is very TEDIOUS to READ.
"

I like it! I feel as if there's a hidden message in it. 

kyle4
#26Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 12/20/17 at 8:45am

the HIDDEN MESSAGE is: "SASSY SAM is the COOLEST and is WISHED the HAPPIEST OF HOLIDAYS and a SPECTACULAR NEW YEAR !!!"

the ANCILLARY MESSAGE: "LOT, if you find my post TEDIOUS... keep WALKIN !!! there is NOTHING more TEDIOUS than a person starting an OFFENSIVE MESSAGE with... "NO OFFENSE..."

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#27Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 12/20/17 at 9:02am

I read that book, too - "How To Lose Friends and Alienate People With Obtuse Typography."

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#28Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 12/20/17 at 9:35am

kyle4 said: "the ANCILLARYMESSAGE: "LOT, if you find my post TEDIOUS... keep WALKIN !!! there is NOTHING more TEDIOUS than a person starting an OFFENSIVE MESSAGE with... "NO OFFENSE...""

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

UncleCharlie
#29Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 12/20/17 at 2:45pm

kyle4 said: "

the HIDDEN MESSAGE is: "SASSY SAM is the COOLEST and is WISHED the HAPPIEST OF HOLIDAYS and a SPECTACULAR NEW YEAR !!!"

the ANCILLARYMESSAGE: "LOT, if you find my post TEDIOUS... keep WALKIN !!! there is NOTHING more TEDIOUS than a person starting an OFFENSIVE MESSAGE with... "NO OFFENSE..."
"

Although it's INCREDIBLY ANNOYING to read posts written like THIS, I can UNDERSTAND that it must be very DIFFICULT to separate your posts HERE from how you have to WRITE in your FULL-TIME JOB as a writer of RANSOM NOTES. 

Olivia11
#30Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 12/24/17 at 2:23pm

Saw this last night in La Jolla and have to agree it is not ready for Broadway without a lot of work. The lead vocals are great and I enjoyed them tremendously, but the production does not do them justice.

Book issues, minimalist scenery relying heavily on projections, choreography that doesn't take advantage of the era or talent in the cast, as well as questionable directorial choices (IMO) left me wanting more for the performers who deserve better. The production felt "small" for subject matter that should burst with energy and be a "feast for the eyes". It's not and those issues are only going to get worse in a large theater, like the Lunt.

Someone who sounded like he was with the production sat behind me and told his seatmate that very few changes were going to be made before heading to NYC, which is certainly supported by the tight timeframe. I hope that isn't true. Probably worth seeing for the performers, as LaChanze and Ariana DeBose shine, but why not get the rest right?

Updated On: 12/24/17 at 02:23 PM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#31Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 12/24/17 at 4:47pm

Again, it feels strange that we've only been hearing (from both boards and press reviews) the show needs work and yet, they're bringing it in without doing the work. It's sad, as Summer deserves better.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#32Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 1/15/18 at 5:36pm

Any word on a discount code? This is one show that somehow has piqued my curiosity for some reason, and not wanting to pay TOO much for it. haha

bk
#33Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 1/16/18 at 4:12am

BJR said: "Again, it feels strange that we've only been hearing (from both boards and press reviews) the show needs work and yet, they're bringing it in without doing the work. It's sad, as Summer deserves better."

It's called being cocky.  Seussical got cocky after its Toronto workshop, when all their nearest and dearest friends told them it was perfect and to not change a thing.  Then they opened out of town and - surprise - no one thought it was good.  Funny, huh?  Same exact thing happened with Sweet Smell of Success.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#34Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 1/17/18 at 9:45am

btw, if you are looking to buy tickets, here's the link to the show's website: 

http://thedonnasummermusical.com/

Has anybody heard of any discounts for this show yet? 

natashalost
#35Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 1/17/18 at 10:32am

Really looking forward to this! I'm a huge LaChanze fan so I'm sure she will be amazing. Sure Sergio Trujillo will do a great job too. 

Based on prior posts in here, they should get some people who worked on On Your Feet, to capture the energy of that generation, like they did in that show. 

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#36Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 1/18/18 at 8:49am

LaChanze is scheduled to perform her concert “Feeling Good" twice in one evening (7 PM and 9:30 PM) in Pittsburgh on Monday, April 16.  Wonder if she'll cancel since "Summer" will only be 2 weeks into previews.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 1/18/18 at 08:49 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#37Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:38pm

Casting was just announced. Did they cast males in the parts that were played by women?

Just give the world Love.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#38Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:47pm

I received an email with a discount code. It's "DIRECT" on Ticketmaster.

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#39Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:19pm

uncageg said: "Casting was just announced. Did they cast males in the parts that were played by women?"

No, the cast is identical to the one in San Diego with the addition of 3 ensemble members: Angelcia Beliard, Kaligh Cronin and Harris Turner.  At the La Jolla Playhouse there were 20 in the cast; now there are 23.  The androgynous casting is still in the show and it will be interesting to see how it goes over on Broadway.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#40Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:49pm

Thanks Wicked.

Just give the world Love.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#41Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:12pm

Whoever came up with this god awful name deserves to be pistol whipped.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#42Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/13/18 at 12:19am

TheatreFan4 said: "Whoever came up with this god awful name deserves to be pistol whipped."

Add to it the artwork. The Logo looks like it was made in Word.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/13/18 at 12:26am

That marquee is god awful. Looking forward to the show, but I have a feeling this will be gone before anyone really cares...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#44Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/13/18 at 12:27am

I happened to walk by the Lunt tonight after the glorious Millie concert and stopped in my tracks on seeing this. It really looks like an art director had an accident.

smidge
#45Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/13/18 at 1:07am

All they did was slap her Live and More album cover on a marquee

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#46Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/25/18 at 12:32pm

Any idea if this is still a sub-two hours run time/one act?

broadwaysfguy
#47Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/25/18 at 1:05pm

having seen this pretty fun musical with messy very messy book im still surprised this starts on broadway in few months

broadwaysfguy
#48Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/25/18 at 1:05pm

having seen this pretty fun musical with messy very messy book im still surprised this starts on broadway in few months

VintageSnarker
#49Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 2/27/18 at 2:56am

My mom wants to see this. She normally ignores the mailers. If it discounts heavily, I'll take her.

This feels more like a West End show. I like Donna Summer's music but I also like Gloria Estefan's music and I didn't see the reason for On Your Feet either.

Videos