pixeltracker

Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite

Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/19/17 at 9:10pm

For once, I can agree with Riedel. This show deserves every single accolade it gets.

DeepVSexyWitch2
#3Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/19/17 at 9:15pm

This show was my favorite night at the theatre in all of 2017. It's Lenk's Tony to lose, in my opinion. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#4Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/19/17 at 9:32pm

I know I’m in the minority, but I absolutely detested pretty much everything about The Band’s Visit. I found it to be mind numbingly dull beyond belief, meandering, and pointless. I am glad so many other are enjoying it, but I am definitely not one of them.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#5Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/19/17 at 10:02pm

Beautiful show. I'm really happy that it's finding it's audience and Yazbeck will finally get his Tony.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#6Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/19/17 at 10:50pm

It really is a lovely and beautiful show. There’s something magical about it. I am so happy to relive it with the gorgeous cast album.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#7Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 10:58am

"Frozen, SpongeBob, and Mean Girls are all contenders certainly!" 

That's funny. This show picked the PERFECT season to open, and it is a virtual impossibility that anything will beat it for best musical. Lenk, too, is a done deal for actress.

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#8Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 12:54pm

Has anyone heard anything about Hadestown?

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#9Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 12:59pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I know I’m in the minority, but I absolutely detested pretty much everything about The Band’s Visit. I found it to be mind numbingly dull beyond belief, meandering, and pointless. I am glad so many other are enjoying it, but I am definitely not one of them."

^^ All of this. I actually turned to my companion and went, "This is the show they were all talking about?" I don't get it - but I'm glad that this season, the "little" show is getting the accolades.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#10Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 1:19pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I know I’m in the minority, but I absolutely detested pretty much everything about The Band’s Visit. I found it to be mind numbingly dull beyond belief, meandering, and pointless. I am glad so many other are enjoying it, but I am definitely not one of them."

I agree. I actually disliked the score by Yazbeck a lot. I liked "Answer Me" and the final encore by the band members but I thought Omar Sharif was/is cloying and have no idea why this score is getting so much praise. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 1:24pm

It's only competition this season are all theme park shows, so I'm not surprised.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#12Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 1:39pm

The haters of this show really are loud on here. I've heard nothing, but great things from other people. Idk, what's up with ya'll. Did we see the same show?

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#13Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 1:52pm

The way the critics - and a lot of people on this board - have gone ape**** over both Spongebob and Ethan Slater, it really throws a scare into me, Tony-wise.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#14Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 1:53pm

GeorgeandDot said: "The haters of this show really are loud on here. I've heard nothing, but great things from other people. Idk, what's up with ya'll. Did we see the same show?"

It’s like people have...opinions.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#15Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 2:35pm

bwayboy22 said: "Has anyone heard anything about Hadestown?"

I've heard that it's planning to transfer this coming fall a lot, but not from particularly reliable sources. Hopefully it does. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#16Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/20/17 at 2:47pm

ACL2006 said: "It's only competition this season are all theme park shows, so I'm not surprised."

I wouldn't say that the rest of the new musicals this season are theme park shows, just more commercially driven.

Though it should be interesting to see what will win Best Musical at the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk Awards next year given that The Band's Visit was already eligible at both of those groups for its off-Broadway production last season.

LizzieBB
#17Riedel on "The Band's Visit" being a Tony favorite
Posted: 12/21/17 at 1:06pm

I completely agree. I saw the show this week with high expectations given the rave reviews and all the buzz about this being the Tony sure thing. I do not understand all the praise. Maybe it was more magical off-Broadway? I thought Tony Shaloub acted it well, /!: I enjoyed the big number towards the end (initiated by the "telephone guy", an underused Adam Kantor). But overall I was incredibly disappointed. I'm a big fan of smaller, thoughtful shows, but this just did not have enough to keep my interest, and the score was incredibly weak.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18Riedel on
Posted: 12/21/17 at 1:11pm

Wow. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I never thought a David Yazbek score would be described as “Incredibly weak.” The Band’s Visit and Women on the Verge are his best work to date.

Updated On: 12/21/17 at 01:11 PM