pixeltracker

Off topic - Chicago (city) information

Off topic - Chicago (city) information

scampsweep
#1Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:03am

I know this is off topic, but the Chicago board seems not to exist anymore. I’m planning on seeing the Love Never Dies tour in Chicago soon and need some accommodation advice.

Which area of the city is best for a tourist? I would like to be near to the theatres and main tourist attractions, as I’ve never visited before. Someone recommended The Loop area. Do people agree with this? Or is there a better area for my needs? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank-you.

OlliesDad
#2Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:09am

I would definitely recommend the loop. It is close to the theaters, shopping and great restaurants. I always tell friends to stay at the Palmer House Hilton. It’s a beautiful hotel and you can usually find great rates. You are just a short bus ride from Michigan Ave shopping. 

scampsweep
#3Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:11am

OlliesDad
Thank-you. Your advice is appreciated.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#4Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:17am

Yeah, the regional boards on BWW are really sad.

I lived in Chicago for several years. I agree that you are just fine staying in the "loop" - that is the downtown area where all of the attractions are. I would suggest walking up (or down) the "Magnificent Mile" (Michigan Ave.) between Chicago Ave. and the theater district. That will provide you with some really beautiful sights, and you can also stop in at various places along the way.

JBC3
#5Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 12:58pm

The Loop and River North both have a lot of hotels that often offer great weekend rates since some cater a bit more to the business traveler. Prices vary widely based on who may be hosting a convention so it pays to check websites for all the big brands and comparison shop.

Kitzka
#6Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 2:24pm

I wanted to add that unlike NYC the area around the theaters in Chicago (aka the loop) can be pretty dead after business hours.

When we stay in Chicago (which we do 5-6 times a year since my daughter is in school there) we stay up in Lincoln park, lake view or wrigleyville. It's a smaller neighborhood area but lots of locals and charming restaurants.

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#7Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 2:35pm

As someone who live here. The loop area while a lovely area, obviously where are the large theaters are, is a ghost town when it's not business hours. A lot of the restaurants in the area close before a show gets out, also Sunday a lot of them are not even open. However, the loop area is where all the tourists stuff is such as the Art Institute, the bean, the fountain, it's not far to the planetarium and museums. So if you're okay with going to another part of town such as wrigleyville or wicker park in the evening, then the loop is fine.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#8Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 3:08pm

I live right in the heart of the Loop and there are so many late-night restaurant and bar options, it's hardly a ghost town:

Emerald Loop
Cindy's
The Gage
Roanoke
Rosebud Prime
Italian Village/Vivere/La Cantina
The Berghoff
Tesori Trattoria
Seven Lions
Miller's Pub
The Dearborn
The Grill Room
Steadfast
Prime and Provisions
Catch 35
Morton's
Stetson
South Water Kitchen
Atwood Cafe
Tavern at the Park
Giodano's
Elephant and Castle
Petterino's
Lockwood
Prim Bar
Pearl Brasserie
Lloyd's
Townhouse
Franklin Tap
Cactus
Tutto Italiano

If you decide to stay in the Loop, I don't think you'll have ANY problem finding a place to eat or have drinks before or after a show. Wabash  ad Michigan in the South Loop around Roosevelt also have many wonderful places to eat and of course, across the river one stop north on the Red Line puts you in River North/Magnificent Mile with more than enough options as well.  If you're only in town for a short trip, you will not have to travel to Wrigleyville or Wicker Park just for food or drinks.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Hairspray0901
#9Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 3:30pm

I will be in Chicago for the first time this month, too! Planning on seeing the 'Beautiful' tour if I can swing it! I'm staying in the River North area - looks walkable to all the main attractions I'd like to do (I am certain I'll freeze my butt off).

Check out https://www.citypass.com/chicago if you haven't already, might be of interest as they have passes to get into a majority of the main attractions. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#10Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 3:46pm

While The Loop is not a literal ghost town after hours, it is quite empty compared to other neighborhoods. It can feel a little eerie being alone with the big buildings (though you'll almost always be safe) so be prepared for that if you're staying/haunting in the loop. River North is more crowded and slightly warmer and more welcoming to inhabit after 9.  

With few exceptions, the places open after hours in The Loop are not really quality places. They're fine in a pinch but few have any real character and almost all of them are far too expensive for what you get. River North or Fulton Market offer far more interesting dining and drinking options.  

All that said... the Loop/River North/Fulton Market are a short walk from one another. If you stay in any of these places, you'll be doing just fine. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#11Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 3:55pm

My sister lives in Lincoln park and that’s a pretty wonderful area. It’s like a 15 minute train ride from the loop and anything you’d want to do near mag mile you can do there. You can even see a show or two with the royal george and steppenwolf being right in the area.

I agree with everything about the loop. I think walking to the train after an evening show can get quite scary when there’s not too many people around. It’s not scary in the sense that you are worried for your life, but it’s just the thought of it being so empty.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 1/1/18 at 03:55 PM

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#12Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 6:43pm

I have frequently walked from a hotel in River North to the theater district and back late at night, and never felt afraid.  If you stick to the main streets, there will be plenty of other people out and about at all times.  I have also stayed in the loop and walked to and from Union Station late at night with no problems.  I am not particularly brave, yet have never had any issues walking about in those areas.

Palmer House is okay and the rate is pretty low right now, but that's because the hotel needs refurbishment.  If you have a modest budget, I would suggest with the Hampton Hotel at the Majestic Theater if you want to stay in the loop, or any chain hotel with a good rate that is either on or one or two blocks off Michigan Ave. in the River North area.  Any of the Kimpton Hotels in the loop are interesting and fun, with the Allegro being well located for theaters and tourist attractions.

JBC3
#13Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 6:50pm

And because Chicago is rich with so many theaters, you can almost always find great ticket discounts (including for Beautiful) on Goldstar or Chicago Hot Tix.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#14Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 7:03pm

KJisgroovy said: "While The Loop is not a literal ghost town after hours, it is quite empty compared to other neighborhoods. It can feel a little eerie being alone with the big buildings (though you'll almost always be safe) so be prepared for that if you're staying/haunting in the loop. River North is more crowded and slightly warmer and more welcoming to inhabit after 9."

I was staying at Hosteling International by Roosevelt University once (maybe in fall of 2014?) and nearly everything was closed around me when i went to get dinner on a Sunday night. I ended up bringing a Subway sandwich back to eat in the common area! Could've been worse, but was still a letdown. Especially when I tried to walk into a delicious-smelling hummus place only to have the door closed on me and being told they were closed.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

mailhandler777
#15Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:37pm

When I was just there 3 weeks ago I stayed at Cambria Hotel in the Loop that is literally in the Oriental theatre. While I was only there for 2 days I had no issues finding something to do or eat. I saw Wicked which is why I chose that hotel.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

TheatreRocks Profile Photo
TheatreRocks
#16Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 10:54pm

Beware the red line at night.

Updated On: 1/1/18 at 10:54 PM

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#17Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/1/18 at 11:47pm

I recommend staying in Lakeview. The Wrigley hotels should be a bit more inexpensive due to off season for baseball.

Not to mention, Lakeview and Lincoln Park is home to quite a few smaller theaters that provide great productions. Including Steppenwolf (off the North/Clybourne Red Line) which has, the sadly postponed Broadway run show, The Minutes playing.

A0326T
#18Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/2/18 at 12:17am

Check out Hottix. Like tkts in NYC. Half price day of performance .

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#19Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/2/18 at 12:20am

Lincoln Park is my favorite area in the whole city. Cute shops and always populated, minutes by the L to get anywhere in the city. It's very safe, but I admit I don't know what the hotel situation is like there, although I'd image not to shabby. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#20Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/5/18 at 1:11pm

You can also purchase some hottix on line the day of the show instead of going to one of the locations: HottixSteppenwolf has 20 for $20 tickets available by phone only on the day of the show.  And Goodman has half price Mezzanine tickets available online on the day of the show (or $10 tickets for students).

I didn't realize so many people find the Loop to be so scary at night!  LOL  After living in the Loop for 9 years (I'm within 3 blocks of Goodman, Chicago Theatre, Hamilton and Wicked currently, though I'm moving later this year), I guess I took it for granted that with such a huge concentration of hotels in the area, there are literally thousands of tourists wandering in the Loop and thousands of people leaving the theatres in the Loop every night, many of whom grab a bite or a drink in the area after a show.  But in the winter, EVERY neighborhood will seem a bit empty as everyone is trying to stay indoors as much as possible.

It's very safe, but I admit I don't know what the hotel situation is like there, although I'd image not to shabby.

There are very few options in Lincoln Park, most of which are closest to the Diversey Brown Line stop.

Beware the red line at night.

They all have dodgy characters at night except maybe the Brown Line (which usually has obnoxious college drunk kids).  Though I don't think any of them are less safe than any Manhattan subway.

I recommend staying in Lakeview.

Wrigleyville should be okay during the off-season (though I'd avoid it like the plague during the entirety of the baseball season).  The only problem I have with Lakeview and Wrigleyville in general is the noise at night due to the high concentration of bars in the area.  It can get really obnoxious.  Personally, I think Mag Mile is optimum if you can get a good deal.

Any of the Kimpton Hotels in the loop are interesting and fun, with the Allegro being well located for theaters and tourist attractions.

I just noticed the Allegro bar (formerly known as Encore) is back open after being refurbished!  YAY!  That is where I ALWAYS stopped for a pre-show drink or bite when seeing anything at the Palace.  I'm curious to see what it's like now.

With few exceptions, the places open after hours in The Loop are not really quality places. They're fine in a pinch but few have any real character and almost all of them are far too expensive for what you get. 

Miller's Pub is a Chicago institution and I've hung out with some touring casts there after performances.  Emerald Loop is my go-to for reasonably priced decent food.
Cindy's is known for its breathtaking views.

But there actually is a nice selection of places in the Loop if you're willing to do the research in advance.  If you're just going to walk around hoping to stumble upon something brilliant, then yeah, River North/Mag Mile or something along the north side El stops around Lincoln Park, Lakeview or even Bucktown, but you'd still have to know which streets to walk along (Halsted, Lincoln, Belmont, etc).

In this weather, Fulton Market/River North are short train rides, taxi rides or Uber/Lyft rides, but do not feel like "short walks" (roughly 30-40 minutes) with wind chills in the negatives.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Cbdancin
#21Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/6/18 at 2:10am

I live in Chicago too. Ditto most of this post above, especially avoid Wrigleyville.

Might I add to look into Second City tickets... main stage shows sell out often. It is definitely a classic Chicago theatre experience everyone should do once in life.

Are most of the people posting warnings about Chicago New Yorkers? Maybe I am just too comfortable in cities, but never had an issue with Chicago trains or neighborhoods that was any different from typical city issues. Red line is fine, I take it all the time. Loop has some quiet areas and some happening places. In general the streets are quieter when it is freezing cold.

Drop me a line if you need more advice. I see tons of local theatre.

CoercedBull Profile Photo
CoercedBull
#22Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/7/18 at 12:19am

I'm in Chicago as well, and won't chime in with much as everyone else has already been so helpful! I would recommend Lincoln Park, as it's very accessible to all the best theater in the city, and also just a charming, unique neighborhood. 

If you're here over the course of the next month, a smaller production that I'm very excited about is August Wilson's JITNEY at the Athenaeum Theater. 

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#23Off topic - Chicago (city) information
Posted: 1/7/18 at 6:48am

I’m heading to Chicago this Friday, and I got an incredible rate at the Palmer House, in the Loop. Seeing Beautiful, going to a Bulls game, probably will also see another show. Can’t wait.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson