pixeltracker

Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut- Page 5

Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#100Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/10/18 at 2:24pm

For anyone interested to see her debut, the show is up at TKTS at 50% off.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

broadwayboy223
#101Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/10/18 at 2:30pm

yankeefan7 said: ""Most of the reason why McPhee was awful in SMASH was that the character of Karen was awful. She'll be just fine, and she'll sound wonderful."

What was even worse was they stuck her with that awful boy friend in Season 1 and they had absolutely no chemistry.
"

Okay so most of the characters were written pretty badly, but her acting wasn't great either.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#102Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/10/18 at 3:15pm

SomeOtherMe said: "ET Online just premiered a music video to "What Baking Can Do" with Katharine.

http://www.etonline.com/watch-katharine-mcphee-perform-what-baking-can-do-from-waitress-exclusive-98423
"

She sounds phenomenal. SO different from Jessie/Sara. Holy mother I was not expecting this.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#103Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/10/18 at 3:31pm

Anyone going tonight?

greenifyme2
#104Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/10/18 at 4:09pm

I'm going tomorrow, woohoo for a gifted free ticket!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#105Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/10/18 at 5:40pm

broadwayboy223 said: "most of the characters were written pretty badly, but her acting wasn't great either."

That's a pretty fine line to discern... 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#106Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/10/18 at 10:26pm

Any reports?

jack kelly's girl2
#107Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 12:33am

Saw her first performance tonight. She was fantastic. I've seen Stephanie, Jessie, Betsy and Sara in the past and thought Katharine did a great job!

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#108Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 5:28am

So excited to hear other reports!

Also, I know posts like these tend to make people roll their eyes, but I'd love it if someone could grab me a Kat Playbill!! They're back in color and gorgeous!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#109Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 9:18am

I went last night and I thought she did a fantastic job. Her voice sounded amazing and she nailed She Used to Be Mine. Her acting in some places felt a bit subdued to me, but could be a choice to be playing Jenna as a bit more quietly resigned to life than other actresses have played her. But her singing was incredible and the rest of the audience also loved it, as far as I could tell!

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#110Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 9:31am

"Her acting in some places felt a bit subdued to me, but could be a choice to be playing Jenna as a bit more quietly resigned to life than other actresses have played her."

Hmmm. I'm trying to look at this as a positive as you seem to be doing, but for the life of me I can only seem to interpret that comment as "her acting is really dull".

KathyNYC2
#111Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 11:02am

Patash said: ""Her acting in some places felt a bit subdued to me, but could be a choice to be playing Jenna as a bit more quietly resigned to life than other actresses have played her."

Hmmm. I'm trying to look at this as a positive as you seem to be doing, but for the life of me I can only seem to interpret that comment as "her acting is really dull".
"

Really? That's an odd interpretation. IMO Jessie was definitely more subdued than either Sara or Betsy..or even Stephanie... in the role. Is that necessarily a weakness? I don't see it that way. I don't see it as a positive or a negative.  I see each actress bringing her take on who Jenna is that works for who they are and where their talent lies....and the role is so rich, the audience loves each of them.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#112Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 11:11am

Yes, but since "boring" is exactly what I've thought of ANY of McPhee's acting....it might not be a choice.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#113Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 11:22am

"Yes, but since "boring" is exactly what I've thought of ANY of McPhee's acting....it might not be a choice."

Just curious. Have you seen her in "Scorpion" or just from her part on "SMASH"?

Updated On: 4/11/18 at 11:22 AM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#114Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 11:26am

"I went last night and I thought she did a fantastic job. Her voice sounded amazing and she nailed She Used to Be Mine. Her acting in some places felt a bit subdued to me, but could be a choice to be playing Jenna as a bit more quietly resigned to life than other actresses have played her. But her singing was incredible and the rest of the audience also loved it, as far as I could tell!"

Sounds good, wish I could get to NY and see her in the role.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#115Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 12:14pm

Let's not forget that Smash was a show that made Jeremy Jordan and Christian Borle seem untalented. Megan Hilty's really the only one who came out looking good.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#116Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 1:15pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "Let's not forget that Smashwas a show that made Jeremy Jordan and Christian Borle seem untalented. Megan Hilty's really the only one who came out looking good."

Borle was fine on Smash. They underused the brilliance of Brian D'arcy James in that show.

I'm curious to get my hands/ears on a soundboard of McPhee. The "What Baking Can Do" ET Online video has genuinely shocked me, I wasn't expecting her to reinvent the wheel but looks like she might have done that but it's also a studio recording so don't think I should trust that entirely.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#117Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 6:51pm

Everyone in Smash was awesome.  Smash was the problem, it was a horrible television show.  I was there last night and Katharine was amazing, the cast seemed to have great chemistry with her and the audience just loved her.  I do think it was a choice made on her part for her Jenna to be slightly subdued, even traumatized occasionally due to her life circumstances.  I think she is a great actress who fits the role really beautifully.  See this if you are in town, guys.

swishhh
#118Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 7:30pm

there's decent audio of What Baking Can Do and She Used to be Mine floating around now
tbh Katharine actually sounds even better than I would have imagined

Broadwaybox also posted a review: https://www.broadwaybox.com/daily-scoop/now-is-the-time-to-return-to-waitress-on-broadway/

Whateverjsays
#119Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 7:44pm

Sounds like they’ve recorded a bunch of songs, any chance they’ll be released on an EP or something?

swishhh
#120Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 7:52pm

I hope they do. although frankly i don't really like what they've done with her voice in the official recordings that have been released thus far. she sounds MUCH better on the live audios that people have posted

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#121Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 7:52pm

I came here to mention that I would LOVE if they did another cast recording with Katharine.. I know its a pipe dream, but I also wouldn't mind if they filmed it with Katharine and released it ala Falsettos and Allegiance.

JustinLovesSideShow
#122Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 8:09pm

Where is this audio?????

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#123Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 8:12pm

They released some promo audios. Theres a music video for What Baking Can Do, and then there's just an audio of She Used to be Mine. Just go on YouTube and search Waitress - Katharine McPhee and it'll come up. Theres also a fantastic video of snippets from her rehearsals and she sounds incredible.

swishhh
#124Katharine McPhee Broadway Debut
Posted: 4/11/18 at 8:18pm

search for the waitress tag on tumblr and you'll see it

only What Baking Can Do and She Used to be Mine were posted to the public though

Updated On: 4/11/18 at 08:18 PM