Harry Potter Marquee

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#50Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/6/18 at 10:22am

I'm absolutely ecstatic to see this! All this talk has got me so impatient for August 25, oh well I'm still so excited! 

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#51Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/6/18 at 10:25am

I honestly can’t recall any significance. But again, no sleep, ha. So I only remember broad strokes.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#52Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:20pm

Looks like the reports of an attached retail space with a separate entrance on 42nd Street are true.

They’ve also added posters (including those of the 4 Hogwarts houses) to the “windows” on the 43rd Street side. It’s getting real!

Updated On: 2/15/18 at 02:20 PM

Fosse76
#53Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:27pm

I'm not liking the 43rd Street black "wing" or whatever it is. In comparison to the show's marquee, it's way too big and looks weird. Also, the "cursed child" in the snitch "nest" which was added to the roof is just so random looking.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#54Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:28pm

Can't wait to walk by tonight and check it out!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#55Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:29pm

Caught a glimpse yesterday as I passed 43rd. Going to walk down the street today. From what I saw it has the same elements as the London marquee but placed differently. The nest appears to be sitting atop the building next door by itself. The wings flank the theater entrance.

Just give the world Love.

Fosse76
#56Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:33pm

kade.ivy said: "Looks like the reports of an attached retail space with a separate entrance on 42nd Street are true."

Were there reports of that? I've never heard anything about that. The entrance in the linked photo is not new. It's the main entrance and the box office location. Or I should say, was, the main entrance and box office location. They've been moved to 43rd Street for this and (presumably) future productions.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#57Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:35pm

RippedMan said: "Walked by it on my way to an audition, and it looks finished. Giant wing of a bird. No actual signage, which makes me wonder is they will even have a traditional type marquee.

Also, what was the boy in the bird’s nest thing in London? What significance is that? I saw both parts but was highly jet lagged.
"

It's a representation of a golden snitch. The basket is the body and the wings extend out.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#58Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:41pm

theatregoer3 said: "RippedMan said: "what was the boy in the bird’s nest thing in London? What significance is that? I saw both parts but was highly jet lagged."

It's a representation of a golden snitch. The basket is the body and the wings extend out.
"

Is THAT what it's supposed to be? Did someone involved with the show offer this explanation, or is it your take on it? I'm not suggesting that you're wrong, I'm just genuinely curious! 

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#59Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 2:48pm

Fosse76 said: "kade.ivy said: "Looks like the reports of an attached retail space with a separate entrance on 42nd Street aretrue."

Were there reports of that? I've never heard anything about that. The entrance in the linked photo is not new. It's the main entrance and the box office location. Or I should say, was, the main entrance and box office location. They've been moved to 43rd Street for this and (presumably) future productions.
"

Though I can’t seem to find it now, I believe Michael Riedel reported the possibility of having a large retail space, restaurants, and other attractions inside the Lyric to complement the experience. I don’t think I would’ve dreamed that up, but maybe it wasn’t Riedel where I read it. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#60Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 3:04pm

theatregoer3 said: "RippedMan said: "Walked by it on my way to an audition, and it looks finished. Giant wing of a bird. No actual signage, which makes me wonder is they will even have a traditional type marquee.

Also, what was the boy in the bird’s nest thing in London? What significance is that? I saw both parts but was highly jet lagged.
"

"

Wow. Never got that but now it makes sense. So mow it really seems odd that the nest/snitch is not sitting right above the entrance between the wimgs.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#61Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 3:34pm

Harry Potter Marquee

Too bad the old Hammerstein's Theatre is now a TV studio.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#62Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 3:50pm

My daughter also said it was a golden snitch.

Fosse76
#63Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 5:28pm

macnyc said: "My daughter also said it was a golden snitch."

It seems pretty obvious that it's a golden snitch, but it may have a double-meaning.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

In Harry Potter lore, the snitch was originally a bird. In Cursed child, the Augury is a character which is based on the ancient Roman religious practice of interpreting omens using birds.  

Updated On: 2/15/18 at 05:28 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#64Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 6:12pm

uncageg said: "Caught a glimpse yesterday as I passed 43rd. Going to walk down the street today. From what I saw it has the same elements as the London marquee but placed differently. The nest appears to be sitting atop the building next door by itself. The wings flank the theater entrance."

The nest is actually sitting on top of the stage itself, it’s raised for the fly system. There used to be a marquee up there for Lyric shows to post, but no one ever noticed it. The tore it down for this. 

Also, re: the logo - it is very clearly a birds nest acting as an allegory to the golden snitch. Th child in the middle of the nest is gender neutral for a reason. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#65Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 2/15/18 at 8:40pm

kade.ivy said: "Fosse76 said: "kade.ivy said: "Looks like the reports of an attached retail space with a separate entrance on 42nd Street aretrue."

"

Though I can’t seem to find it now, I believe Michael Riedel reported the possibility of having a large retail space, restaurants, and other attractions inside the Lyric to complement the experience. I don’t think I would’ve dreamed that up, but maybe it wasn’t Riedel where I read it.
"

Yes, there were rumours of all of that. As was told to me last month, it's going to be merchandise and "experience" - what that last part means, I don't know yet. But it's not that huge a space when there's a thousand people passing through, and they've changed the lobby that it's not so grand anymore, so I'm guessing it'll mainly be merchandise focused.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 2/15/18 at 08:40 PM

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#66Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/1/18 at 1:41am

When lit up, I think the marquee looks pretty damn cool. I took this photo tonight when walking by:

Harry Potter Marquee

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#67Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/1/18 at 2:04am

rclocalz said: "When lit up, I think the marquee looks pretty damn cool. I took this photo tonight when walking by:

Harry Potter Marquee
gorgeous sbot!!

Walked by yesterday to see them putting a "nest"up above the 42nd street entrance

Notreallysilent 2
#68Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/2/18 at 6:50pm

Does anyone know how close the renovations are to being done? I passed today and was able to look inside a bit through the door and it seemed there was a lot still being done. Also the side with the cursed child store (the old entrance) still has the old box office there. Idk if they are using two box offices but I assumed since the entrance is on 43 they are only using that one.

disclaimer: I never been to the lyric before so I have no idea if the old box office was on 42nd but I’m assuming it was 

Updated On: 3/2/18 at 06:50 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#69Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/2/18 at 7:10pm

This is dope

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#70Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/2/18 at 8:47pm

Obsessed! When's the last time we had a really cool marquee? Mostly it's just an old boxy looking poster. It's cool to see something like this, which is done more in The West End. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#71Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/2/18 at 9:13pm

so true...walked by this evening and it looks absolutely stunning!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#72Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/2/18 at 10:37pm

Great photograph! Is there one wing or two?

LxGstv
#73Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/2/18 at 10:39pm

macnyc said: "Great photograph! Is there one wing or two?"

Only one. That picture really captures the whole thing.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#74Harry Potter Marquee
Posted: 3/2/18 at 11:01pm

Here's a photo of it with its blue lights:

Harry Potter Marquee

Updated On: 3/2/18 at 11:01 PM