pixeltracker

Preparing for Harry Potter- Page 2

Preparing for Harry Potter

Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
#25Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/22/18 at 6:55pm

jpbran said: "Ok, I'll be that guy... why buy tix for one of the most expensive theatrical outings ever -- and a sequel at that --with zero familiarity of the source material?  

Since I'm in the same boat (having bought premium tickets and knowing little about HP), I'll offer an answer:  (1) I have the disposable income; (2) my 11 yr. old son is a big HP fan and has read all the books; (3) sometimes I'm prone to following the herd instinct; and (4) as far as the books go, there are too many better works of literature on my reading list to ever allow me to get to the HP series  (which is not to assert that the HP books aren't good).

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#26Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/22/18 at 7:54pm

I'm actually glad I read the script before watching the play. Doing so certainly helped me understand the story but it also made me super curious as to how the production would do all those magic tricks, spells, action, etc. 

To each his own. I can see how people who don't know the story just want to watch this play fresh without knowing what will happen.

For me, I read the play during the flight from JFK to LHR and again certain parts of it during the wait on the returns queue. I do not regret a thing and I felt I appreciated the play more after watching this production.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#27Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/22/18 at 7:59pm

I read all the books (Besides the last one... dumb choice) about 4 years ago and now I'm seeing the show, the audio book is an AMAZING idea! Also the movies aren't too good to the plot as the book is, so any form of the book is the best option. Don't read the script, it's really long and isn't as good as seeing it live.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#28Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/22/18 at 8:49pm

jenhum said: "macnyc said: "I'm so glad to see this thread. I was just wondering the same thing! I'm going with my daughter, a Potter fanatic, and our tickets are for August. So I will read all the books, including the first three that I read when they came out (and don't remember).

Also, I wanted to add, for you Potter fans, you might enjoy Puffs at New World Stages. I saw that with my daughter last month and I knew going in that I probably wouldn't get it. That turned out to be true, but my daughter and the rest of the audience were howling with laughter all night. So you need in-depth knowledge of all seven books to get the jokes. Much of the material in Puffs derives from the minor characters that populate Hogwarts.Highly recommended!
"

What age would you say Puffs is appropriate for? I have a daughter who will be 10 when we go see Cursed Child, and we are both HUGE Potter fans, but I don't know if it's appropriate for herage or not.
"

PUFFS matinees are a toned down version for younger patrons. No plot changes but less sexual references. I have heard that at times if there are a large amount of younger patrons at an evening performance they will tone it down a bit.

To the OP, I suggest reading the books. I read all of them in less than two weeks. Just read them again 2 years ago and thinking about reading them again before May when i see CURSED CHILD. I a sure you will have to have some knowledge of the whole series to fully enjoy the play. I am definitely watching all of the movies again on HBO. JMO

Just give the world Love.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#29Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/22/18 at 9:52pm

Since I'm in the same boat (having bought premium tickets and knowing little about HP), I'll offer an answer: (1) I have the disposable income; (2) my 11 yr. old son is a big HP fan and has read all the books; (3) sometimes I'm prone to following the herd instinct; and (4) as far as the books go, there are too many better works of literature on my reading list to ever allow me to get to the HP series (which is not to assert that the HP books aren't good).

Those are actually very thoughtful and refreshingly self-aware answers... smiley But in case there was a misconception, I asked only because he thought it was enough of a potential issue to come on a message board and ask for assistance... my questioning was honest and wasn't meant to be bitchy. 

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#30Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/23/18 at 12:35am

They're children's books, and the first three are quite short and can probably be read in a couple of hours each. Read them, or listen to the audiobooks, as the films will not help you understand the show even a little bit. Then you can get mad with the rest of us about how many canonical rules the play breaks. 

rodrigo_ca
#31Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/23/18 at 5:46am

perfectlymarvelous said: "They're children's books, and the first three are quite short and can probably be read in a couple of hours each. Read them, or listen to the audiobooks, as the films will not help you understand the show even a little bit. Then you can get mad with the rest of us about how many canonical rules the play breaks."

Stop saying that like it's true. I stand with J.K. Rowling on this. It's a great and welcomed addition for me. I will not discuss supposed breaked rules as to not spoil anyone who don't know the plot, but most fans are just outraged they were forced to read a script and are not able to see the play when they want.

ARTc3
#32Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/23/18 at 12:56pm

Much of the 'magic' in, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, is the staging. It is simply brilliant and I believe will keep you captivated throughout the very short 5+ hours. I read the script, but only after seeing the play. Online, many fans who've read the script before, or without seeing a performance, have been disappointed. If you are very comfortable reading plays and can visualize the impact and focus that great direction can offer, than reading the play is an option, but still won't offer you the history of the many characters and outcomes from past situation that the play references. I support reading as many of the books as you can between now and April as they are all excellent reads only getting better as the series moves on. If that is not possible - reading or listening - than the movies will give you mostly what you'll need to understand the play's references.

Either way, and even if you go in 'blind', I believe if you have an open mind, not particular uncomfortable not understanding everything, you'll still be moved by a production that is just wonderful. I loved Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and look forward to seeing it again on Broadway.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#33Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/23/18 at 1:20pm

This Times Article might help; it gives a little backstory plus pulls some plot points of the actual play: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/theater/harry-potter-primer-broadway.html

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#34Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/23/18 at 1:36pm

Someone here mentioned the audiobooks, and they’re wonderful, if you have a long time to listen to them — and Tony winner Jim Dale narrates them and creates voices for each character!

mikey2573
#35Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/23/18 at 2:01pm

I think watching the movies would be easier than reading the series as some of the books are huge.  You could probably watch all of the films in one weekend and you really do need to know these characters and their stories before seeing "Cursed Child".  Otherwise, you may not know how time travel works in the Potter world or why Harry's son goes back in time to change a certain event in "Goblet of Fire".  And why would anyone be shocked that Harry's son is best friends with the son of Malfoy if you don't know Harry's and Draco's past? And you need to know who Voldemort is other than "the bad guy"; you should know his history as a former pupil at Hogwarts and.....there is just TONS of story that is related to the events in "Cursed Child" and going in without knowing the story will put you at a serious disadvantage.  Definitely watch the films. 

jenhum
#36Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/23/18 at 3:50pm

Thank you for the advice about Puffs!

To the OP, as a big Potter fan, I think you'd enjoy the movies and play a lot more if you read the books first. But some of them are long, and if you're a busy person that could be overwhelming in the amount of time you have.  My suggestion if you're short on time would be to watch movies 1-3, then read Goblet of Fire. Then watch movies 4-8. And I have read the script, but if I could turn back time (haha), I wouldn't.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#37Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/23/18 at 4:27pm

Thanks for this advice! I just got Sorcerer's Stone on Audible, and I am going to try to get through all seven books by August. If I find I'm falling behind, I'll take your advice about the movies and Goblet of Fire. That sounds doable. I want to get the most of the play that I can!

ARTc3
#38Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/24/18 at 4:03am

Enjoy. You really are in for a treat. Both the books and the play are wonderful.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

Fosse76
#39Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/24/18 at 10:38am

Wick3 said: "I'm actually glad I read the script before watching the play. Doing so certainly helped me understand the story but it also made me super curious as to how the production would do all those magic tricks, spells, action, etc."

The script doesn't have directions as to how the magic are performed, only what is happening via magic.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#40Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/24/18 at 10:44am

I have read the books countless times. I just reread the play a couple weeks ago, and it made me even more excited to see it live in May!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#41Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/24/18 at 11:03am

SomethingPeculiar said: "Someone here mentioned the audiobooks, and they’re wonderful, if you have a long time to listen to them — and Tony winner Jim Dale narrates them and creates voices for each character!"

I agree Jim Dale is wonderful. My daughter mentioned to me today that there are also English versions of the audiobooks that are read by Stephen Fry. That text is the original British language, which might be fun to listen to also if you're an Anglophile!

Here's the link for book one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter-Philosophers-Stone-Book/dp/B017V51FEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519488320&sr=8-1&keywords=Harry+Potter+and+the+philosopher%27s+stone+Stephen+fryt

Updated On: 2/24/18 at 11:03 AM

DrewJoseph
#42Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/24/18 at 6:29pm

Is the ‘Hedwig theme’ written by John Williams featured in the show? In my mind the two are inseparatable.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this, didn’t want to start another one for this one question :)

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#43Preparing for Harry Potter
Posted: 2/24/18 at 9:54pm

DrewJoseph said: "Is the ‘Hedwig theme’ written by John Williams featured in the show? In my mind the two are inseparatable.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this, didn’t want to start another one for this one question :)
"

No. All the music is from Imogen Heap. Who mentioned on Twitter a while back a possibly of a soundtrack, which I would love to have! I still have chills from the music of the Part Two opening scene.