pixeltracker

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews- Page 4

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#75HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:51am

So from what I can gather, no one is really blown away by the actual text of the play. Do we expect it to win Best Play just based on the production? 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#77HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:01am

I’m curious as to what everyone means by the writing not being good. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve read the printed play several times over the last couple years and I love it. Is it just the storyline you don’t like?

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#78HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:06am

Haven't not read any of the books and only seen the first film -- will this be an issue?

ilysespieces
#79HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:15am

Capeguy said: "Haven't not read any of the books and only seen the first film -- will this be an issue?"

In my opinion, yes. Now that I've just seen the first Part (went into it blind and I'm super glad I did) I would tell anyone who hasn't at least seen all the movies that they wouldn't enjoy it, or at least they wouldn't understand a whole boatload of the plot. You really need to have at least a basic understanding of the Harry Potter universe and plots. You might like the theater and the props and the magic, but the plot is just going to be confusing. 

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#80HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:34am

Where are the Friday Forty seats located?

Jakeevan942
#81HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:43am

As an FYI, they are back to using Showbill at the Lyric-I know they had a some point in the past, I believe. Toward the front of the Showbill is a four page overview of the Harry Potter Universe, with a year by year synopsis of Harry's time at Hogwarts, and a glossary of terms from the series that are important to understanding the play. Might be worth reading if you arrive at the theater knowing nothing about Harry Potter.

And someone asked about Title Page billing at some point-Full company is in alphabetical order below the title, soothed will need to petition up anyone they want in Leading performance categories for the Tonys.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#82HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:52am

Was there a curtain call after Part 1? I saw it I London on double day and after the cliff hanger, the show ended and the house lights came up. I was wondering if on a single show day if they do a curtain call.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#83HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:55am

TheQuibbler said: "Was there a curtain call after Part 1? I saw it I London on double day and after the cliff hanger, the show ended and the house lights came up. I was wondering if on a single show day if they do a curtain call. "

No curtain call. Just a long standing ovation to an empty stage. Same as they did in London.

Jakeevan942
#84HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 10:02am

sorano916 said: "TheQuibbler said: "Was there a curtain call after Part 1? I saw it I London on double day and after the cliff hanger, the show ended and the house lights came up. I was wondering if on a single show day if they do a curtain call. "

No curtain call. Just a long standing ovation to an empty stage. Same as they did in London.
"

And a projection of "To Be Continued." It works perfectly, no need to stop the story in tracks for a curtain call, especially with how part 1 closes.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#85HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 10:53am

pdjennings said: "I’m curious as to what everyone means by the writing not being good. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve read the printed play several times over the last couple years and I love it. Is it just the storyline you don’t like?"

Having read the play, there’s no great exploration of ideas or themes. It’s certainly not Arthur Miller or Tennessee Williams, but it likely serves the production well. 

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 10:53 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#86HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:27am

LesWickedly said: "Anyone sit towards the front of the orchestra on the far sides? Wondering how much you miss, if any."

We have tix in June for row F extreme sides and it is still full view with lots of leg room. Your seats will be fine!

i think the best seats with most legroom is orchestra row K.

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 11:27 AM

msgirlinnyc
#87HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:34am

Is there some trick to finding tickets? I've looked at least three times a week since they went on sale and regardless of the price point, my search comes up with no avaliability. One day I even sat there and searched every single showing from May to October with a green or yellow bar and nothing.

This is honestly more frustrating than trying to get tickets for Hamilton.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#88HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:43am

Subscribe to their email list. They released more tickets for previews.
Also, it depends on how many tickets you're looking for. I was looking for June and when I input 5 tickets altogether i couldn't find availability but when I input for 1 or 2 tickets I saw a few dates but they were all priced at premium!
If it will be similar to London, they normally release more tickets (usually premium or one notch below premium) a few weeks before the performance date so don't give up!!!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#89HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:48am

msgirlinnyc said: "Is there some trick to finding tickets? I've looked at least three times a week since they went on sale and regardless of the price point, my search comes up with no avaliability. One day I even sat there and searched every single showing from May to October with a green or yellow bar and nothing.

This is honestly more frustrating than trying to get tickets for Hamilton.
"

3 times a week? Not enough. Try 3 times an hour, or, at the very least, 3 times a day. In the past week, I've found multiple tickets at all price points, starting at $20, from now through September. It just takes time and commitment, although, now that the show has actually started performances, I'm assuming it will be even harder to find seats.

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 11:48 AM

MadsonMelo
#90HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:49am

Theres, literally, no competition to this show at Best Play. I Mean, aside from The Children, who Will be the nominees? They are not even playing right now.

But I Dont think this show can win anything against Angels in America. Not the acting nominees (maybe, only maybe Boyle against Lane, but Garfield and Parker wont lose to Parker and Noma) or the direction Award. Scenic and Light designs not either, maybe sound?

lightguy06222
#91HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:46pm

I think it will win for direction.

10086sunset
#92HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:51pm

PThespian said: "Don't worry. I will still be subbing there on Harry Potter's dark days."

Nice! You can't stop the school of rock!

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#93HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:58pm

lightguy06222 said: "I think it will win for direction."

Agreed. Marianne Elliot has done extraordinary work with AIA, but the world and stagecraft Tiffany creates is simply once in a lifetime type of theatre. Unless Tony voters decide HP is overrated, I feel he deserves the award the most. 

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 01:58 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#94HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 2:54pm

MadsonMelo said: “Not the acting nominees (maybe, only maybe Boyle against Lane, but Garfield and Parker wont lose to Parker and Noma)”

I’m assuming you meant to say Garfield and Gough?

DonnyJacksonLD Profile Photo
DonnyJacksonLD
#95HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 3:22pm

Are they doing any in-person rush or standing room? The lottery didn’t help me and I’m only seeing $200 tickets for my visit next week

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#96HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 3:24pm

DonnyJacksonLD said: "Are they doing any in-person rush or standing room? The lottery didn’t help me and I’m only seeing $200 tickets for my visit next week"

I would buy them while you have the chance.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#97HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 5:22pm

DonnyJacksonLD said: "Are they doing any in-person rush or standing room? The lottery didn’t help me and I’m only seeing $200 tickets for my visit next week"

There's no room for standing room and it's only cancellation line.

DrewJoseph
#98HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 7:14pm

Can anyone tell me how the stage setup begins/ends each act/part?

I’ve seen a lot of different settings; the suitcases, the cupboard under the stairs, the ‘H’ curtain, the voldemort banner, empty..

Thanks!!

Serendipiteedee
#99HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 7:52pm

I'm with you, I love the script on its own. I think the writing is very strong. I've seen the play a number of times in London and am going to see the Broadway version next week. It's not a play with complex dialogue, but it carries on the themes from the books beautifully and develops them further.

I disagree vehemently that it doesn't explore any themes or ideas. It's about legacy, the cycle of abuse, guilt and recovery. It's about coming to terms with the past, creeping from beneath its shadow, and learning how to live with guilt and regret. I've found enormous amounts to explore in the script, and the visual symbolism of the production echoes and elaborates on it. 

Jack Thorne clearly understands the characters very well and he does what he always does in his scripts. He lets the characters' be human and flawed, which I very much appreciate. The script on its own won an Olivier in London, with good reason.

GregHut
#100HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:21pm

Serendipiteedee said: "I'm with you, I love the script on its own. I think the writing is very strong. I've seen the play a number of times in London and am going to see the Broadway version next week. It's not a play with complex dialogue, but it carries on the themes from the books beautifully and develops them further.

I disagree vehemently that it doesn't explore any themes or ideas. It's about legacy, the cycle of abuse, guilt and recovery. It's about coming to terms with the past, creeping from beneath its shadow, and learning how to live with guilt and regret. I've found enormous amounts to explore in the script, and the visual symbolism of the production echoes and elaborates on it.

Jack Thorne clearly understands the characters very well and he does what he always does in his scripts. He lets the characters' be human and flawed, which I very much appreciate. The script on its own won an Olivier in London, with good reason.
"

Thank you for posting this.  I feel like there are a lot of people (mainly on reddit) who are making the "bad writing" claim without actually reading the script.  It's become the cool thing to say, and it's complete bull****.  I don't want to give away any spoilers but I personally loved the themes the play deals with, especially the father-son dynamic.  I loved the new characters and there complicated relationships. I loved the writing!