pixeltracker

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread- Page 3

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#50 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:08pm

The entire cast is amazing, but Sara and Norm have both absolutely knocked it out of the park tonight. This is a real treat to watch!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:10pm

Besides GREASE, I think this is the best live musical that’s been done since they started doing them again.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#52 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:11pm

i forgot how the commercials completely break all dramatic tension in these live shows, why have they get to get one sponsor so they can provide us limited commercial interruption??

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#53 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:13pm

I only got to catch the first thirty minutes or so, as I’m traveling back to school now, but WOW! So far, it really seems like NBC finally got the live musical thing down. I do think keeping it contained to a stage and not making the actors run around to a bunch of clunky sets is what keeps the energy alive, and everyone is doing a fantastic job! I can’t wait to watch the rest.          ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#54 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:18pm

Fantastic staging, set, orchestra/band I do miss Jesus' high whaling notes but Legend brings a relatable intimacy in exchange. Sarah sang it well but was hoping for something more earthy which would have meant different casting. Hope they release this minus the commercials and mix out the crowd overreacting in spots.

Up In One

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#55 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:21pm

gypsy101 said: "i forgot how the commercials completely break all dramatic tension in these live shows, why have they get to get one sponsor so they can provide us limited commercial interruption??"

I feel like a lot of it is for set changes? I don’t know, it does seem like a lot. 

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#56 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:22pm

Well that was one of the worst renditions of Gethsemane I’ve ever heard.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Nycat63
#57 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:23pm

Is half the ensemble and the strings from Great Comet? Maybe it's just the vibe but I feel like they look familiar.

Just spotted Jonah Platt (I'm only 45 min in).

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#58 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:24pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Besides GREASE, I think this is the best live musical that’s been done since they started doing them again."

I wholeheartedly agree with you. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#59 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:24pm

Welp. That happened. I know it's an "in concert" set up, but you got to still ACT while you are singing.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#60 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:25pm

Cape Twirl of Doom said: "Well that was one of the worst renditions of Gethsemane I’ve ever heard."

Painful to watch.

Danielle49
#61 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:25pm

I noticed within the first act tonight that his voice is much more tired than it was at the rehearsal. (As those who were at the rehearsal will recall, he got a standing ovation.) I knew when he got to Gethsemane it'd be rough. He must've strained it too much throughout the day yesterday. What a shame.

Updated On: 4/1/18 at 09:25 PM

greenifyme2
#62 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:26pm

Babe_Williams said: "gypsy101 said: "i forgot how the commercials completely break all dramatic tension in these live shows, why have they get to get one sponsor so they can provide us limited commercial interruption??"

I feel like a lot of it is for set changes? I don’t know, it does seem like a lot.
"

It was a lot for sure, but in person you could see all of the crew team swarm the stage and rush to change the  set, sweep up the glitter, etc. Getting that glitter cleaned up looked like a nightmare!

bwayobsessed
#63 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

Cape Twirl of Doom said: "Well that was one of the worst renditions of Gethsemane I’ve ever heard. "

I can’t disagree more. It’s different than the traditional but I thought it was very effective. 

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#64 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

Oh man, that Gethsemane was hard to get through...

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#65 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:28pm

Casting John Legend as Jesus really changes the game here. In every other production you have an actor that starts the show as a nobody and then has to convince you that he could start this movement. But John doesn't have to act the superstar. He steps out and the superstar metaphor is already there from the first note. He doesn't really have to act the part of Jesus - the point of the show is now that Jesus was the John Legend of his time.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#66 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

Do you think John Legend will strip to the waist for the crucifixion scene? He appears to be in good shape. Will it matter if he doesn't?

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#67 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

This brings back so many memories of buying the OCR in 1971 and rushing home to play the records on my stereo. (Yep, I’m old). I remember thinking that the score was a masterpiece. I still think so. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#68 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:29pm

Luscious said: "Do you think John Legend will strip to the waist for the crucifixion scene? He appears to be in good shape. Will it matter if he doesn't?"

It doesn’t...

curel1
#69 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:33pm

His Gethsemane was fine, not the best but I liked it

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#70 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:35pm

RaisedOnMusicals said: "This brings back so many memories of buying the OCR in 1971 and rushing home to play the records on my stereo. (Yep, I’m old). I remember thinking that the score was a masterpiece. I still think so."

Yeah. I first heard the score in my Catholic high school religion class. As soon as the record was released the priest that taught the class brought it in and played it for us. Back then it was a while before I could afford to buy the multi-LP set for myself. 

Updated On: 4/1/18 at 09:35 PM

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#71 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:36pm

I didn’t think John’s “Gethsemane” was that bad either. It was just the “Just watch me die” he botched, but everything elss was good. I’d rather he just have not attempted the falsetto and just sung it down in his chest register, though.

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#72 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:36pm

There is nothing "IN CONCERT" about this staging, you guys should know that.  This is a FULLY STAGED, expensive, first rate, choreographed, CLASS A production with huge sets and extraordinary costumes.  It is only billed as "IN CONCERT" to get people to watch it who would not watch a MUSICAL on television. It was brilliant marketing.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#73 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:40pm

The actor playing Pilate was fantastic and that was a great scene.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#74 ...JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 9:42pm

Completely agree with those who disliked Gethsemane. When he went into falsetto, I felt bad for him. (Everybody's been there - when your voice won't do what you need it to do...)

If his acting was better, he could have gotten away with it, though. I feel like he's doing a lot of "hit the mark and sing the lines" throughout the whole show.

On the other hand, my eye is consistently drawn to the actor playing Simon Zealot whenever he's in frame.