pixeltracker

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

curel1
#1JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 7:05pm

Starting in less than an hour! Who's tuning in?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#2JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 7:50pm

I’ll be watching due to the cast and early word. I don’t know the show particularly well and I’m not at all religious, so not sure if it will be for me but I’ll be giving it a shot!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#3JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 7:56pm

It's so funny that folks keep saying (lots in the other thread) that they like it even though they're not religious, or don't know if it's for them because they're not religious. This is not a religious show, folks! This is the show that was denounced from the pulpit all over the country because Judas is the good guy and Jesus doesn't come back.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#4JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:05pm

Well I'd like to give this a chance, but I'm having no luck with the stream. I guess I'll catch it later if it's any good

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#5JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:09pm

Must the audience scream after every other line?

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#6JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:10pm

They need better sound mixing. I could barely understand BVD. Legend sounds clearer here.

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#7JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:12pm

sbflyfan said: "Must the audience scream after every other line?"

Yeah, I like the staging and performances so far, but they’re getting swallowed up by the audience reaction. They need to tone it down a notch. It’s killing all the dramatic tension.

Updated On: 4/1/18 at 08:12 PM

singerunlimited
#8JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:14pm

Glorious singing so far. The audience screaming is extremely annoying and distracting. Gonna be a long night if this keeps up.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#9JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:15pm

JCS is not seen as blasphemous, or even controversial in this day and age. It’s seen as a rock opera offering a different perspective of Jesus’ last week on earth. 

Its a great show - and boasts one of the best rock score in musical theater.

As a Christian I am not offended by it at all. 

You not have to be “religious” to get it...you don’t have to be Austrian to enjoy The Sound of Music.

Updated On: 4/1/18 at 08:15 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:16pm

Well, they wanted a "concert".   But I agee with the comments above.  (Actually, all of them -- this has never been my favorite show, and I'm not religious and even if I were, I'm jewish!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#11JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:17pm

I'm a big ALW fan and have seen JCS I don't know how many times... but I'm starting to understand what ALW had been saying about it working in a concert-type of venue better than on a stage.  

Heaven on their minds was fantastic.  Incredibly impressed so far...

Oh wow - Bareiles "Everything is Alright" - she nailed that.

BTW - I consider myself a devout Catholic and have always loved JCS for what it was - an attempt to look at the life of Jesus through the eyes of Judas.  As for Jesus not coming back from the dead, Judas wouldn't have known, since he had killed himself by then.

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#12JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:18pm

^ There are definitely still some folks out there who find it blasphemous. I was in a regional production in 2016 and there was a protestor at every performance handing out pamphlets detailing all of the "blasphemous" things in the show.

CarlosAlberto
#13JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:19pm

chernjam said: "I'm a big ALW fan and have seen JCS I don't know how many times... but I'm starting to understand what ALW had been saying about it working in a concert-type of venue better than on a stage.

Heaven on their minds was fantastic. Incredibly impressed so far...

Oh wow - Bareiles "Everything is Alright" - she nailed that.

BTW - I consider myself a devout Catholic and have always loved JCS for what it was - an attempt to look at the life of Jesus through the eyes of Judas. As for Jesus not coming back from the dead, Judas wouldn't have known, since he had killed himself by then.
"

Yes exactly!

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#14JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:20pm

BVD is killing it. John legend is good but totally out of his element, acting wise especially compared to the others.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#15JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

Shockingly enough, I'm loving it.

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#16JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

This set is absolutely enormous! I feel like it would work better in a more intimate space. The ensemble just seems to be there to fill up space so far. But Legend, BVD & Bareilles sound great.

Maggie-the-schnoodle

CarlosAlberto
#17JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

seaweedjstubbs said: "^ There are definitely still some folks out there who find it blasphemous. I was in a regional production in 2016 and there was a protestor at every performance handing out pamphlets detailing all of the "blasphemous" things in the show."

Those that do are dogmatic and stuck in a very dark age.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#18JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:23pm

I’m loving it. Gorgeous set, great choreography, and everyone sounds fantastic. I agree that the audience needs to chill out and they need better sound mixing, but other than that, no complaints so far.

CarlosAlberto
#19JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:24pm

Those costumes tho....amazing!!!

Updated On: 4/1/18 at 08:24 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#20JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

What exactly does the religious controversy surrounding JCS, which famously surrounded the album and show in the 70s and may or may not still exist, have to do with whether many have a religious regard for the show or experience it in a very religious way.  Even in the 70s, millions found JCS to be religiously evocative and stimulating.  And no doubt many still do.  

Which doesn't mean one has to have that kind of response to the show to love and admire it.  Far from it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#21JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread

Is there a cast list available anywhere?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#22JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:26pm

Am I the only one that didn't care for BVD's "Heaven..." at all? I have no desire to ever listen to that again. So weak.

CarlosAlberto
#23JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:27pm

henrikegerman said: "What exactly does thereligiouscontroversy surrounding JCS, which famously surrounded the album and show in the 70sand may or may not still exist, have to do with whether many have a religious regard for the show or experience itin a very religious way. Even in the 70s, millions found JCS to bereligiously evocative and stimulating. And no doubt many still do.

Which doesn't mean one has to have that kind of response to the show to love and admire it. Far from it.
"

You can have whatever kind of experience you want from it...religious or otherwise. My point was it isn’t controversial or even edgy as it was when first done. 

Its a great theatrical rock opera, no doubt.

Updated On: 4/1/18 at 08:27 PM

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#24JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:28pm

Norm's ~lewk could turn me. For real.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#25JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR LIVE Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/1/18 at 8:29pm

Norm was absolutely phenomenal!

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2