CURSED CHILD Reviews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#50CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:42pm

Daily Beast is positive, calling it a "magical tour de force" and adding that "you can really go to this as not a fan and still have a very enjoyable time at the theatre."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-on-broadway-is-a-stunning-magical-tour-de-force

BroadwayConcierge
perfectliar
#52CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:56pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "perfectliar said: "You don't like what the review has to say, so it's not worth anyone else's time? FFS."

Have you read it? It hardly says anything beyond being condescending and pointlessly contrarian. No substance.
"

I did, and just because you don't like what the reviewer has to say doesn't mean there aren't valid criticisms, like effects taking the place of heart.

BroadwayConcierge
#54CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:56pm

NYTimes by Ben Brantley is a Critics' Pick, saying it "raises the bar" for Broadway magic. "Substitute theatrical showmanship for paint, and you have this remarkable production’s elemental recipe for all-consuming enchantment."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/22/theater/review-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-raises-the-bar-for-broadway-magic.html

BroadwayConcierge
#55CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:59pm

perfectliar said: "I did, and just because you don't like what the reviewer has to say doesn't mean there aren't valid criticisms, like effects taking the place of heart."

Okay, then just post it yourself then...?

BroadwayConcierge
#56CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:00pm

Mashable is positive, calling it "impressive," and saying that it's "a sensory overload that will have you hoping against hope that after all this time, your Hogwarts acceptance letter may still be just around the corner."

https://mashable.com/2018/04/22/harry-potter-cursed-child-broadway-review/#1I3Ar_4LqiqV

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#57CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:04pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "WashPo is mixed topositive, calling it "charming," but advising to read the books first.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/the-charms-of-harry-potter-work-on-broadway--but-read-the-books-first/2018/04/20/817f793a-44a9-11e8-baaf-8b3c5a3da888_story.html
"

This wasn’t a review — it was a story about their friend who really shouldn’t have had a ticket wasted on them. 

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#58CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:10pm

pdjennings said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "WashPo is mixed topositive, calling it "charming," but advising to read the books first.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/the-charms-of-harry-potter-work-on-broadway--but-read-the-books-first/2018/04/20/817f793a-44a9-11e8-baaf-8b3c5a3da888_story.html
"

This wasn’t a review — it was a story about their friend who really shouldn’t have had a ticket wasted on them.
"

Agreed

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#59CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:33pm

Financial Times by Charles Isherwood is positive. 

The production’s five-hour-plus expanse (in two parts) flashes by in what seems like half the time. We emerge having experienced something that Muggles encounter all too rarely: truly transporting theatrical magic. ?????

https://www.ft.com/content/b7a31170-4481-11e8-97ce-ea0c2bf34a0b

MadsonMelo
#60CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:50pm

68 Million????? Geez! Do Your Magic, Harry!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#61CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:15pm

Are they considering renovations to the Lyric in that price-tag? Because there is no way this show cost that much. I mean it's very low-tech looking. Not a lot of moving set pieces, not a lot of crazy costumes. I know the "set" does a lot of tricks, but it's not some big gigantic hulking thing. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#62CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:32pm

RippedMan said: "Are they considering renovations to the Lyric in that price-tag? Because there is no way this show cost that much. I mean it's very low-tech looking. Not a lot of moving set pieces, not a lot of crazy costumes. I know the "set" does a lot of tricks, but it's not some big gigantic hulking thing."

Yes. 

willep
#63CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:35pm

Yeah, there was a NYTimes article the other day on the cost. 23mil to buy out Paramour, 11 for the renovations and the rest on the shows.

BroadwayConcierge
#64CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:36pm

RippedMan said: "Are they considering renovations to the Lyric in that price-tag? Because there is no way this show cost that much. I mean it's very low-tech looking. Not a lot of moving set pieces, not a lot of crazy costumes. I know the "set" does a lot of tricks, but it's not some big gigantic hulking thing."

As this article explains: 

$68M = $35.5M production capitalization + $23M to kick out Paramour + $10M worth of work on the Lyric itself.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#65CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:40pm

And I think the NYTimes article said the 68M also included a hefty payout (23M!0 to Cirque to vacate the building.  Where does 68M go?

trpguyy
#66CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:43pm

You probably wouldn't say that if you saw the trap room. You know those pictures of icebergs above and below the surface of the ocean, and how what lies beneath dwarfs what you can see above the water? It's kinda like that.

TheatreRocks Profile Photo
TheatreRocks
#67CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 12:20am

I'm sorry but, some reviews really don't need to be posted. I highly doubt people are going to walk past a theater and think "Oh wow! Look what *NJ.com, Mashable, Daily Beast, The Wrap, ect.* said!"

People care about the Times and maybe a handful of others. Just my thoughts, but go ahead and attack.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#68CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 12:54am

TheatreRocks said: "I'm sorry but, some reviews really don't need to be posted. I highly doubt people are going to walk past a theater and think "Oh wow! Look what *NJ.com, Mashable, Daily Beast, The Wrap, ect.* said!"

People care about the Times and maybe a handful of others. Just my thoughts, but go ahead and attack.
"

You are RIGHT. In this world what really matters is how loud your voice is, not whether what you say makes sense or not. After all, hell is empty.

Updated On: 4/23/18 at 12:54 AM

brdwybound04
#69CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 1:12am

Wondering what opinions are regarding the TONY Awards after tonight’s reviews.. is this a lock for Best new play and for design, lighting, and sound?

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#70CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 1:19am

brdwybound04 said: "Wondering what opinions are regarding the TONY Awards after tonight’s reviews.. is this a lock for Best new play and for design, lighting, and sound?"

Not so sure about sound but that's if a large number of this year's voters are well versed in sound design.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#71CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 4:13am

RippedMan said: "I mean it's very low-tech looking."

Simplicity is more expensive than grandeur in the long run.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#72CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 4:44am

Gareth Fry's outstanding abilities as a sound designer were recognized for 'The Encounter'.  No reason why he shouldn't be rewarded again for this monumental design.

pac2015
#73CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 6:17am

I hope I'm able to snag an affordable ticket for this.  I've had plenty opportunity to purchase a $199 level ticket, but that's a tough financial pill to swallow when you limit yourself to one show per month.  

MadsonMelo
#74CURSED CHILD Reviews
Posted: 4/23/18 at 7:09am

Play and all the tech awards, that's for sure.

Boyle has a chance if AIA nominate 3 actors. If all four get in, and there's a chance, then he's the likely winner.

Videos