pixeltracker

THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews- Page 2

THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews

Nycat63
#25THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 12:15am

Thrilled to hear this as I have tickets for my June trip!

I apologize for asking about seating but I bought my tickets a few weeks ago and best I could do other than premium was Orch Row O. After I purchased, I saw that scalpers had bought up TONS of seats (at least for the June dates I was looking at, though I suspect same is true for the entire run) so while I’m thrilled for the show, I hate to see the scalpers win.

If anyone would care to make me feel ok about sitting way back in Row O, please do THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews. Haven’t been to the Booth. If I won’t be able to appreciate it from back there I might consider trying to exchange for premium but it would be very rough on the budget. All opinions appreciated!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#26THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 12:22am

WhizzerMarvin and all, so glad to see the positive notices from the first preview. So pleased I bought my June 19th ticket this weekend. I’m going in fairly blind. I’ve never seen the movie (I know; I’m a bad gay; somebody spank me) or any previous stage production. So all I pretty much know is the one paragraph synopsis in the media release. I’m gonna try to keep it that way.

natafied
#27THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 12:52am

Nycat63 said: "Thrilled to hear this as I have tickets for my June trip!

I apologize for asking about seating but I bought my tickets a few weeks ago and best I could do other than premium was Orch Row O. After I purchased, I saw that scalpers had bought up TONS of seats (at least for the June dates I was looking at, though I suspect same is true for the entire run) so while I’m thrilled for the show, I hate to see the scalpers win.

If anyone would care to make me feel ok about sitting way back in Row O, please do THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews. Haven’t been to the Booth. If I won’t be able to appreciate it from back there I might consider trying to exchange for premium but it would be very rough on the budget. All opinions appreciated!
"

I sat in the last row of the center mezzanine. I definitely think the experience would have been even more amazing if I were closer, but it's a small theater and I feel like even the side seats would have good views. There was a tall person in front of me blocking a portion of the center downstairs section (why did they put the seats directly behind each other?), but nothing important happened there 98% of the time, and I could lean forward a bit because I was in the back. 

As for the stage door (for anyone who's wondering), of course there were a lot of people there. They let people line up past where the barricades ended as long as they stayed behind the line. Maybe they'll get more for future shows? All of the actors came out and most of them kindly stopped to take pictures. All the Broadway debuts were very unfamiliar with the stage door process and their castmates playfully made fun of them to us when they found out. They had a photographer taking photos to document the first preview (I assume), so maybe the pictures will be released. 

Morales2 Profile Photo
Morales2
#28THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 12:53am

This was in fantastic shape for a first preview.  Seemed like they were months into their run.  Jim Parsons was incredible.  Robin De Jesus will have you screaming with laughter one minute and sniffling with tears the next.  Cast all around was excellent.  There was a slip in the playbill tonight that the running time was 100 minutes.  Show started maybe around 5 minutes late and I was exciting the theatre at 10:05 so I think the show is actually 2 hours exactly.  Go see it.  You won't be disappointed. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#29THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 1:11am

natafied said: "Nycat63 said: "Thrilled to hear this as I have tickets for my June trip!

"

I sat in the last row of the center mezzanine. I definitely think the experience would have been even more amazing if I were closer, but it's a small theater and I feel like even the side seats would have good views. There was a tall person in front of me blocking a portion of the center downstairs section (why didthey put the seats directly behind each other?), but nothing important happened there 98% of the time, and I could lean forward a bit because I was in the back.

As for the stage door (for anyone who's wondering), of course there were a lot of people there. They let people line up past where the barricades ended as long as they stayed behind the line. Maybe they'll get more for future shows?All of the actors came out and most of themkindly stopped to take pictures. All the Broadway debuts were very unfamiliar with the stage door processand their castmates playfully made fun of them to us when they found out.They had a photographer taking photos to documentthe first preview (I assume), so maybe the pictures will be released.
"

All this makes me exquisitely happy. I got a little misty reading your post. In our current political climate (I live in Oklahoma), we need shows and casts like this even more. June 23rd can’t come quick enough! 

Updated On: 5/1/18 at 01:11 AM

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#30THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 5:07am

Thanks for all the wonderful reviews!  Can't wait!  

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#31THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 8:14am

And once again, this board has given me a reason to buy tickets to another show. Thanks for the recommendation, y’all!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#32THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 8:26am

My husband and I bought June 1, center orchestra row C, seats 7-8, way back in December. Based on these comments, I'm sure glad we did!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#33THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 8:27am

How are the cuts to the text? What are the cuts to the text?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#34THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 8:27am

I, like many in here, we’re definitely not on the production’s support but based on last night and the social media coverage, I sense this will be one of the big events this summer.  The buzz and word-of-mouth from last night is exciting AND it was their first preview!   I was a naysayer about buying tickets in advance for this.   I just bought tickets for next week (I want the guys to be more settled into their roles).   I’m counting the days.  Thank you again, Ryan Murphy.  I hope you loved the gift basket of Gummy Bears.  

BrodyFosse123
#35THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:16am

For those who aren't on Instagram, here are screenshots of the videos posted on the play's Instagram last night.  These are viewable on the Instagram Stories section: 

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#36THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:18am

so far all these earlier "preview" reviews here are making me even more excited to see this in June...thank you all for posting...keep 'em coming...Jesus Mary it takes all us fairies to make this pretty...to coin the phrase!!

rebeccmam31
#37THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:21am

Will3700 said: "Well this was the highlight of my trip (a tie with Angels In America) but just wow The entire cast is superb and hit the mark every time I’ve always liked the original movie but man it’s so much better live !! "

Tony weekend my daughter and I are seeing this Friday and then both parts of Angels in America on Saturday, so your post delights me.

Updated On: 5/1/18 at 09:21 AM

AllThatJazz2
#38THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:27am

Once again I benefit from all you wonderful people on these boards...really glad people here convinced me to get a ticket to this when I travel this June. Looking forward to it!

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#39THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:30am

Is this revival PG-13 or rated R? For the Cowboy?

Thank you for the reviews!

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

BrodyFosse123
#40THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:35am

Is this revival PG-13 or rated R? For the Cowboy? 

Thank you for the reviews!

Due to the language, the play will always remain Rated R.  The cowboy has a few lines of dialogue and appears as a guest/gift to Harold.  He remains fully clothed during the entire play.  

Impossible2
#41THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:37am

I am so f***ed off I am going to miss this.

Any chance it might extend do we think?

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#42THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:40am

Impossible2 said: "I am so f***ed off I am going to miss this.

"

I think the closing date refers to the date that Jim Parsons has to report back to TBBT tv show for taping the new season...so he wouldn't be able to extend...just a thought

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#43THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:41am

There is bare ass shown (but not the cowboy’s) and of course the language will always send it into R rated territory. 

Re: cuts, A friend thought this was going to be 90 minutes and with cuts, but it was 2 hours (no intermission) and if there were cuts I didn’t notice them. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Impossible2
#44THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:44am

broadwaybabywannabe2 said: "Impossible2 said: "I am so f***ed off I am going to miss this.

"

I think the closing date refers to the date that Jim Parsons has to report back to TBBT tv show for taping the new season...so he wouldn't be able to extend...just a thought
"

Well I can't stand him anyways so that wouldn't really bother me lol

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#45THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:51am

Glad to see all these positive reviews from last night! I was on the fence about seeing this, but Joe Mantello is fast becoming my favorite director (especially after Three Tall Women, which I’m revisiting tomorrow night) and I’ll see anything Andrew Rannells does.

I shelled out some $$$ and bought a mezzanine ticket for this evening on the word of mouth so far. Really looking forward to it. And going in totally blind.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#46THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:57am

Whizzer wrote: "Re: cuts, A friend thought this was going to be 90 minutes and with cuts, but it was 2 hours (no intermission) and if there were cuts I didn’t notice them."

Interesting - so perhaps they decided against doing the cuts after announcing them? Several sites are still stating that the running time is 90 minutes. If they are doing the more-or-less full text, I can't imagine why they aren't using the intermission after Harold's much-awaited entrance.

greatwhiteway72
#47THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 11:00am

Does anyone know when they're likely to announce their rush policy? 

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#48THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 11:05am

With only one preview under their belt they will trim down the running time.  With audience they can see where the laugh are potentially too.

stlrod
#49THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 12:05pm

Is that a 2-level set? I was thinking of exchanging my center mezzanine seats for side orchestra but might just keep them if the set is 2 levels.