pixeltracker

The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race- Page 3

The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#50The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 1:31pm

I wonder how eager Tony voters are in giving Norbert a third Tony, no matter how much they liked his performance.

Wayman_Wong
#51The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 3:31pm

''I wonder how eager Tony voters are in giving Norbert a third Tony, no matter how much they liked his performance.''

If they like you, they like you. It depends on your role, and who you're up against, and if they liked your show. Unless you're a fellow Tony Awards junkie, how many folks know that Hinton Battle and Boyd Gaines each have 3 Tonys? Meantime, there's a list of equally wonderful Broadway artists who have yet to win a Tony (and some have yet to be NOMINATED). And for the record, Audra McDonald, 47, already has 6 Tonys, and I'll bet she'll win again.

Updated On: 5/31/18 at 03:31 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#52The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 3:37pm

Wayman_Wong said: "''I wonder how eager Tony voters are in giving Norbert a third Tony, no matter how much they liked his performance.''

If they like you, they like you. It depends on your role, and who you're up against, and if they liked your show. Unless you're a fellow Tony Awards junkie, how many folks know that Hinton Battle and Boyd Gaines each have 3 Tonys? Meantime, there's a list of equally wonderful Broadway artists who have yet to win a Tony (and some have yet to be NOMINATED). And for the record, Audra McDonald, 47, already has 6 Tonys, and I'll bet she'll win again.
"

Boyd Gaines has 4 Tonys.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#53The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 3:48pm

Having now seen all but Slater, I think I’d vote for Henry. I thought his vocals were mesmerizing and that he transformed into the character. Hard to ignore the love for Slater, though, and it could be one of the only “big” awards for Spongebob.

twbrqr
#54The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 3:53pm

My vote is fully behind Hadden-Paton. He was amazing as Higgins. Slater would be my runner-up. I missed Shalhoub both times I saw TBV. 

Danielle49
#55The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 5:31pm

At this point, I think a win for Hadden-Paton or Henry would be a result of vote-splitting for Slater and Shalhoub. Of course there’s no way to know that for sure, but I feel like the latter two are leading right now. Most predictions put Slater at the top (NY Times, etc.) but the love for The Band’s Visit could push Shalhoub over the edge. I feel like the voters will think they have their bases covered on the two revivals with Lindsay Mendez and Norbert Leo Butz. I think it’ll be a spread the love situation this year.

Slater got unanimous praise in the press (Brantley was a huge help) but has a few things against him: a) he’s playing a cartoon character b) it’s his debut and they could hold off to reward him some other time c) the role could be deemed too thin, it being more physical than emotional like the others are. But I’m REALLY rooting for him. He’s astounding in the role, and I’m paraphrasing Brantley when I say that there will be no better match for SpongeBob, nor better role for Slater than what we’re seeing at The Palace. He’s irreplaceable in this role.

That said, I also loved Hadden-Paton and Shalhoub (haven’t seen Henry). They’re doing lovely work and I’ll be happy with whoever ends up winning.

Updated On: 5/31/18 at 05:31 PM

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#56The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 5:52pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Harry Hadden-Paton's interpretation of Higgins is so perfectly fitting that he doesn't stole Eliza's thunder when he shouldn't and does dazzle and charm whenhe should. I went back last week and was also amazed by how much his performance has improved since the early previews I attended. The last scene is now clearly a display of the change of power dynamics between Eliza and Higgins. Hadden-Paton's acting choices for the scene are pure perfection and add the much needed nuances for his character to workin the 21st century. Sure, this also proves what agreat director Sheris, but without an excellent actor like Hadden-Paton Sher's vision for Higgins can never materialize."

Perfectly put. The acting choices between Hadden-Paton and Ambrose in that final scene make my heart pound. 

Agree!

Agree!

My vote.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

rjm516
#57The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 6:04pm

I've seen all four now, and while I do think this is the tightest race in a while, HHP totally would have my vote. His performance is on another level of skill and nuance and just amazingness.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#58The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 11:13pm

Between Harry Haden-Patton and Tony Shalhoub. I'm leaning towards Haden-Patton.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

VintageSnarker
#59The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/1/18 at 12:26pm

I haven't seen Henry or Slater. I feel like Shalhoub gives a solid performance through the entire show but it's not a very big or showy performance. I would 100% be behind HH-P for the book scenes and maybe "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" but he lost me during all the other songs. He wasn't bad but he was way more camp than intimidating and I didn't feel the misogyny that is core to the character so none of the lyrics were believable and the comedy didn't come through. I assume his Soliloquy is amazing because it's Joshua Henry but by most accounts, Carousel is poorly directed. Still, they did get a LOT of a nominations. Slater is a wild card but it's not like they've never awarded a newcomer.

I'm not going to bother filling out a prediction ballot this year. I have no hope of getting it right. I do hope they spread things around a little as I've gotten a little tired of sweeps by one or two shows.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#60The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/1/18 at 12:56pm

I have not seen Harry-Hadden Paton, but of the three I did see, it belongs to Ethan Slater.

He worked SO hard and I was won over by the sheer effort that went into making himself an actual cartoon character. I'd give #2 to Shalhoub, since he was heartbreaking, but didn't really sing that much and has (more or less) left the show. #3 would be Henry. There was absolute fire in his vocal chords, but he didn't really connect at all with me. 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Wayman_Wong
#61The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/1/18 at 1:28pm

Little Sally: You're 100% right about Boyd Gaines. I forgot ''Gypsy.''

Updated On: 6/1/18 at 01:28 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#62The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/1/18 at 6:13pm

I can see why people love Slater, and he is great in the role, but everyone I know who has seen his understudy said he was amazing too, so maybe the part is just that. I disliked the show, so my opinion isn't probably the masses. 

I loved Tony off-Broadway, haven't seen him on Broadway yet, so not sure how it plays in a bigger house, but he broke my heart a few times. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#63The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/1/18 at 6:43pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "It's fascinating to me that before this season began, Joshua Henry was heavily favored for the Tony—and now he's pretty much the #4 pick across the board. His Billy was really a letdown."

THIS. It's fastinating where we are now from where we all were before Carousel happened and underwelmed.

The closer we get to Tony day, the more I think it's become a race between Patton and Slater with Shaloub as the dark horse. Between the two of them though, it's hard to tell which will pull ahead as they are two drastically different characters and performances. This reminds me very much of the year that it was Patina Miller and Laura Osnes for Pippin and Cinderella in the Leading Actress category. Two deserving performances that were close to the same level but were so opposite it was hard to tell which way the voters would sway at the time.

CPannullo
#64The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/1/18 at 7:16pm

While the only actor i can not speak for is Harry-Hadden Paton, I’m rooting for Ethan Slater. Out of the rest of the nominees, I’d say Slater gave the best performance

Updated On: 6/1/18 at 07:16 PM

Danielle49
#65The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 12:19am

So now that Ethan Slater has Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk wins, it's looking more and more like he's the late frontrunner. (Which I fully support.) Part of me still doubts he'll win the Tony, though. For one, Tony Shalhoub wasn't eligible for those awards. Thoughts?

Updated On: 6/4/18 at 12:19 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#66The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 12:23am

I still see Harry Hadden-Paton taking it over Slater.

There are several examples of actors who've won the Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle but ended up losing the Tony. In fact, here's a whole thread about the topic! (And you can add to the list in that thread: Laura Linney, The Little Foxes and Andy Karl, Groundhog Day)

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#67The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 12:26am

I think Slater will definitely win.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#68The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 12:42am

I think it's kind of a disgrace to the artform to say "well, he sounded like the cartoon and he wasn't annoying..." 

Wayman_Wong
#69The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 1:13am

If Tony Shalhoub wins Best Actor in a Musical, it'll because enough Tony voters love ''Band's Visit'' and feel he's overdue to win (on his 4th Tony nomination). However, even Shalhoub has commented on how little he sings in his show, and he's been gone from the show for a couple of months, shooting a TV  show. He only came back for ''select'' performances in May for the Tony voters, and now he's ended his run in it. Even when ''Band's Visit'' was awards-eligible last season, Shalhoub didn't get nominated for Best Actor in a Musical by the Drama Desk or the Lortel Awards. It's just not a performance that has generated much buzz or passion.

At GoldDerby.com, I've been predicting Ethan Slater to win from the start. He got terrific reviews and really carries his show. Hadden-Paton and Henry's notices didn't seem as enthusiastic. And now that Slater has picked up the Outer Critics, Drama Desk and Theatre World Awards, he's got all the momentum.

Updated On: 6/4/18 at 01:13 AM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#70The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 3:49am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I still see Harry Hadden-Paton taking it over Slater.

There are several examples of actors who've won the Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle but ended up losingthe Tony. In fact, here's a whole thread about the topic! (And you can add to the list in that thread:Laura Linney,The Little Foxesand Andy Karl, Groundhog Day)
"

Fair, although one of the two you mentioned has an asterisk next to his name, because Ben Platt wasn't eligible for Drama Desk or OCC last year.

As to this year's Tony, I would say it's anyone's game.

Wayman_Wong
#71The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 4:32am

True. Platt was not eligible last year at Outer Critics and Drama Desk. But he was eligible the year before that, and the Outer Critics and Drama Desk nominators chose NOT to nominate him.

Updated On: 6/4/18 at 04:32 AM

SempreLiberal Profile Photo
SempreLiberal
#72The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 5:26am

Wayman_Wong said: "Little Sally: You're 100% right about Boyd Gaines. I forgot ''Gypsy.''"

This reminded me of the Forbidden Broadway sketch with Patti Lupone and Boyd Gaines: 

https://youtu.be/8mVc1Bleq4g

broadwaysfguy
#73The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 7:32am

this is certainly one of the most interesting and up for grabs categories. i saw all four performances including carousel, mfl and bands visit twice.
i would feel great about any of the three actors in these shows winning. the most intense performance certainly was josh henry who was astounding. absolutely loved how nuanced and understated tony shaloub was-it was a master class in acting. HHP
was also astounding in his portrayal of higgins and went to a whole higher level the night i saw him with the understudy eliza. while i didnt care much for spongebob, ethan played the character to perfection, sang his heart out and demonstrated amazing physicality and presence in the role.
if i were a tony voter my vote would go to henry. slater has a lot of awards momentum, which can influence voters.
this ones almost two close to call, but i think slater might sneak by henry on this one

broadwaysfguy
#74The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 6/4/18 at 7:32am

this is certainly one of the most interesting and up for grabs categories. i saw all four performances including carousel, mfl and bands visit twice.
i would feel great about any of the three actors in these shows winning. the most intense performance certainly was josh henry who was astounding. absolutely loved how nuanced and understated tony shaloub was-it was a master class in acting. HHP
was also astounding in his portrayal of higgins and went to a whole higher level the night i saw him with the understudy eliza. while i didnt care much for spongebob, ethan played the character to perfection, sang his heart out and demonstrated amazing physicality and presence in the role.
if i were a tony voter my vote would go to henry. slater has a lot of awards momentum, which can influence voters.
this ones almost two close to call, but i think slater might sneak by henry on this one