pixeltracker

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?- Page 4

Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#75Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 11:58am

OMG, I absolutely cannot wait for this show. 

Updated On: 9/7/18 at 11:58 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#76Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 11:59am

I am really looking forward to seeing this.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CaseyBrent41
#77Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 12:05pm

its going to the Kerr in the Spring

theaterwiz414
#78Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 12:36pm

CaseyBrent41 said: "its going to the Kerr in the Spring"

Where's this information coming from?

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#79Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 12:57pm

Casey has been right about mutiple transfers and casting announcements. They tend to be a reliable source :)

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

theaterwiz414
#80Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 1:04pm

CaseyBrent41 said: "its going to the Kerr in the Spring"

Y'think Bruce will close after the holidays? That's my prediction...maybe through the New Year. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#81Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 1:24pm

theaterwiz414 said: "CaseyBrent41 said: "its going to the Kerr in the Spring"

Y'think Bruce will close after the holidays? That's my prediction...maybe through the New Year." 

Bruce is closing on 12/15. Considering that it's premiering on Netflix the same day, an extension is very highly unlikely.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#82Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 1:40pm

I was hoping this would extend into the first week of December so I could catch it, but with the transfer that seems unlikely. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#83Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 1:44pm

It announced yesterday that it's extended through December 9.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#84Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/7/18 at 1:58pm

Two extensions before it even starts previews is impressive to say the least.

Updated On: 9/7/18 at 01:58 PM

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#85Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/8/18 at 10:13am

In case you've not seen this: Sheila Atim from the London production...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0grZUoUhn_k

Updated On: 9/8/18 at 10:13 AM

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#86Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/8/18 at 1:04pm

They posted a video of the Public cast singing "Slow Train/License to Kill" on the website.

https://publictheater.org/Public-Theater-Season/Girl-from-the-North-Country/

Man, I love Sydney's voice. Ever since Idiot and Hamilton days. 

Harry11
#87Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/9/18 at 8:27pm

So happy about Jeannette Bayardelle she has been an understudy for LaChanze for years. Finally all that hard work has paid off.

Danielle49
#88Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/9/18 at 9:41pm

Some seats have opened up for the next few Sunday performances, and there are still lots of great seats available for this recent extension. I was able to exchange my November seat in row Q for a row K seat in December.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#89Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 8:41am

Just wanted to bump this up for tonight's first preview! I can't want to hear what people think. I'm seeing the show this November and I'm very much looking forward to it!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#90Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 10:43am

I entered the lotto for tonight, but it still says "pending." 

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#91Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 10:50am

macnyc said: "I entered the lotto for tonight, but it still says "pending.""

I am pretty sure entries are being accepted until noon, hence the Pending.  When I saw that pop up on an entry to the BMC lotto, I called Today Tix and they told me the Pending message remains until all tickets have been claimed.  I guess we will see in about an hour!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#92Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 12:08pm

"Better luck next time!" for me!

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#93Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 12:45pm

Danielle49 said: "Some seats have opened up for the next few Sunday performances, and there are still lots of great seats available for this recent extension. I was able to exchange my November seat in row Q for a row K seat in December."

Can you please tell me some more info on exchanging tickets? I would like to change mine as well for better seats later in the run. Do they have to be purchased directly from The Public? or can you exchange ones bought on TodayTix when they first went on sale? Can those be exchanged? Sorry for all the questions, but your post woke me up! Girl From The North Country - Public Theater? 

Thanks for your time!

MyLife
#94Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 2:31pm

As of 2:30 I am still "pending"

Danielle49
#95Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 2:55pm

HunterK said: "Danielle49 said: "Some seats have opened up for the next few Sunday performances, and there are still lots of great seats available for this recent extension. I was able to exchange my November seat in row Q for a row K seat in December."

Can you please tell me some more info on exchanging tickets? I would like to change mine as well for better seats later in the run. Do they have to be purchased directly from The Public? or can you exchange ones bought on TodayTix when they first went on sale? Can those be exchanged? Sorry for all the questions, but your post woke me up! Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?

Thanks for your time!
"

No worries! I’m not an expert but I’ll tell you what I understood from The Public’s site and from what I did. I assume that if you purchased from a third party (aka TodayTix) you’d have to contact them directly on their specific policies. I bought mine in person and called The Public’s box office to do the exchange. They have a $5 fee for exchanges and they’re subject to availability for your particular date.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#96Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 8:01pm

Is anyone here going to be there tonight for the first preview?

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#97Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 10:22pm

Danielle49 said: "HunterK said: "Danielle49 said: "Some seats have opened up for the next few Sunday performances, and there are still lots of great seats available for this recent extension. I was able to exchange my November seat in row Q for a row K seat in December."

Thanks for your time!
"

No worries! I’m not an expert but I’ll tell you what I understood from The Public’s site and from what I did.I assume that if you purchased from a third party (aka TodayTix) you’d have to contact them directly on their specific policies. I bought mine in personand calledThe Public’s box office to do the exchange. They have a $5 fee for exchanges and they’re subject to availability for your particular date.
"

Thank you so much...I shall be calling The Public in the morning! 

Truly appreciate it!

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#98Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 10:42pm

Was anyone there tonight?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#99Girl From The North Country - Public Theater?
Posted: 9/11/18 at 11:20pm

Just getting back from the first preview tonight. The show ran long due to technical difficulties. We had a 35 minute intermission! Apparently they couldn’t turn the house lights off, so after a long time of trying, Conor McPherson (I assumed) came out and basically said “how would you all feel if we just did the rest of the show with the light on?” And everyone cheered because, “hey! That’s live theatre!” But pretty much as soon as act 2 started, the house lights turned off, haha.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show a lot. I thought it was really beautiful. It’s definitely not your average jukebox musical, and arguably isn’t even a musical at all, but we’ll let the awards committees sort that one out. The use of the music is wonderful though, and it sounds phenomenal.

The book/script is a little messy; not all of the many storylines feel fully fleshed out, and some of the character arcs feel a little unfinished. But I think the show succeeds anyway because it’s driven much more by its mood, themes, and setting than by its plot. In that way, it reminded me of The Band’s Visit, especially since both shows deal with some comparable themes. Though TBV is a tighter and clearer than this. The show kind of felt like Band’s Visit meets Once meets Our Town. If you don’t like any of those shows, I suspect you won’t like this one.

The design, staging, musical arrangements, and choreography are all wonderful. There are many great performances too. If this transfers, I could definitely see Mare Winningham taking home a Tony (depending on which category she’s placed in). Sydney James Harcourt was another standout for me. The only one I felt a little iffy about was Stephen Bogardus. He was too shouty, and seemed like he was in another show. It didn’t help that he seemed to be stumbling over his lines, but obviously that will improve over time.

All in all, despite some flaws, I found this really magical and haunting. Though I don’t think it will be for everyone.