pixeltracker

Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight

Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight

urnothingwithoutme
#1Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 11:20am

Who is watching tonight? The previews look promising!

thegamesiplay
#2Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 9:29pm

That Into the Woods rendition was killer. I almost want a one man Into the Woods with Andrew as every part.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#3Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 9:33pm

Damn this is good.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#4Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 9:46pm

Charismatic entertainer at the top of his game.

Stephanatic

frankiec Profile Photo
frankiec
#5Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 9:48pm

Where can I get my hands on a recording of “Moon Over Nebraska”? What a great song—and really showed off Rannells’ voice and range.

But the whole show has been great. The best out of the last four weeks IMO.

Rydia
#6Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 9:51pm

Anyone have the setlist? My PBS isn't coming in, I'm curious though!!

thegamesiplay
#7Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 9:51pm

I really hope they hire him for more concerts because he could sing a phonebook and he'd still make it entertaining as hell. I loved the Vicki Carr number, that was the highlight so far in my opinion.

henrikegerman
#8Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 10:04pm

His "It Must Be Him" should go viral.

theaterdarling
#9Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/11/18 at 10:39pm

OMG - big fan of Rannells - know he is incredibly talented, but wasn't expecting this. He crushed it. Clever, eclectic, surprising song choice all wonderfully rendered in his unique style--funny and moving.  His charm and wit were fully on display--he completely owned that room in a such an inviting way and it came across on television--or more correctly it LEAPT off the television. Whatever vocal imperfections there were here and there, he more than compensated for with his crazy good showmanship. The absolute best of the series-hands down.

Small exception to an otherwise extremely  satisfying show-- wish he had not picked "Big Time"  to close the show- was a huge let down after such a great set - seemed a little wedding singer-ish and I was shocked given that every other song was just right.

If you are too young to remember the original Vicki Carr version of "It Must Be Him" - Google it  so you know just how good and drop dead hilarious his rendition is. Hard to out camp the original but he did.

Hats off.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#10Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/12/18 at 2:57am

If they ever do the Glen Campbell story.....just saying....

henrikegerman
#11Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/12/18 at 5:08am

SmoothLover said: "If they ever do the Glen Campbell story.....just saying...."

Really?  Because to me Rannells neither looks, sings nor seems anything like Campbell.
Not saying he might not be able to do it, but your post makes it seem like he's glove-fit for the role and I don't see that at all.

Updated On: 5/12/18 at 05:08 AM

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#12Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/12/18 at 9:27am

My gosh, wow! Mr. Rudin, are you listening? Sign Andrew Rannells up ASAP for Bobby Strong in the long overdue revival of Urinetown!

theaterdude2
#13Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/12/18 at 10:05am

Very surprised by all the comments here. While I agree that Andrew Rannells is very talented, and I was looking forward to the concert as well, I was very disappointed. The song choices were very odd.. why would you pick songs for a PBS special that no one has heard of? In order for these specials to succeed and work in middle America, I think an artist should at least include some of the songs that he's well known for. (Stephanie J Block's special is a perfect example of what I'm talking about). I'm surprised PBS executives approved this set list. If you want to do lesser known pop songs or showtunes, he should pepper the list with some crowd pleasers. 

sidebar: he also made strange facial expressions during many of the songs and his closed eyes every time he had to go for a high note. He's usually a good looking attractive guy but this special was not particularly flattering to him. 

Sorry, I wanted to love it and I appreciate his talent but this just seemed bizarre to me and everyone watching with me. 

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#14Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/12/18 at 1:08pm

We went back in December and I left slightly disappointed—he sounded good, but I was hoping for a couple songs from productions he’s been in.  Watching last night, I liked it so much better than when I was there.  Maybe because I didn’t have any expectations. He’s charming, handsome, and cheeky. Super charismatic, for sure.  There was more banter that was edited out.  “It Must Be Him” was my favorite of the night. I think the last song was a poor choice.  I can’t even remember what it was, but I didn’t like it. He needed to go out big. It ended with a shrug.  He didn’t get a standing ovation.  It seemed like the audience had a general “that was it” sort of feeling.  I still adore him.  

Updated On: 5/12/18 at 01:08 PM

MBFan
#15Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/12/18 at 10:50pm

I like him okay but I'm glad he didn't beat out Matthew Morrison for South Pacific. No offence.

bwayobsessed
#16Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 12:29am

I’m honestly shocked that people didn’t like his set list. I thought It really showed off what a strong performer he is. Every song you can tell that he is giving his all.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#17Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 6:43am

Andrew's was the only one I missed. Have any of these Live from Lincoln Center concerts been rebroadcast?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#18Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 8:14am

DottieD'Luscia said: "Andrew's was the only one I missed. Have any of these Live from Lincoln Center concerts been rebroadcast?"

There is a link to catch it here:

http://www.pbs.org/video/andrew-rannells-in-concert-4xtvtb/

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#19Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 10:27am

Why in the world would you think that PBS - or anyone else for that matter would have to approve his set list?  That makes absolutely no sense at all. 

theaterdude2
#20Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 1:50pm

Do you really think that a network hands a performer a special that they are going to pay for at considerable cost, and tell them that they can do whatever they want and have "carte blanche" on the creative without getting any approvals? Network execs, Lincoln Center...many people are involved in the making of a special. This isn't Don't Tell Mama.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#21Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 1:54pm

I enjoyed his show a lot and liked his song choices. Of the four of them I would say Rannells and Stephanie J. Block were my favorites, with interesting set-list choices that were varied between ballads and uptempo songs. 

Sutton Foster and Leslie Odom Jr. put me to sleep, sad to say, although Leslie's band was smokin, and I loved the arrangements. Still, for both, I thought the set list was boring, boring, boring. 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#22Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 2:21pm

The next time you meet with the execs at PBS, make sure and tell them of their terrible error. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#23Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 3:50pm

Meh

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#24Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 4:24pm

I got through one song and that was it.

Rannells just rubs me the wrong way.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#25Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight
Posted: 5/13/18 at 8:22pm

I've been excited for this season. Finally got a chance to watch Andrew's performance in full. I'm not a great fan of his though felt he was perfectly cast in BOM (the only live production I've seen him in). But that said, I've now been scrolling back and listening to Moon Over Nebraska. My neighbors are probably sick of it! LOL It was the strongest performance of the set. I also liked his Born to Run, and the opening was a good rendition of Lonely Boy. I expected him to do a bit more banter like Stephanie, noting maybe how a younger sister was born and he lost some attention. 

The ITW medley was awesome. My favorite SS show so maybe I'm biased, but I really liked it. Clever. 

Big Time was a horrible choice for the climax. I guess you don't end with ballads, but I would have ended with Moon Over Nebraska followed by an up tempo arrangement for the bows. Wonder if that's why it looked like only half the room gave him a standing O. I was really shocked. I thought maybe producers asked people to stay seated to not block cameras. Audiences give SO's for everything here. Why not this one-time event being taped for television? 

That hair! Andrew Rannells Live From Lincoln Center Tonight Really had a mind of its own at times. Such a handsome charming guy, tall and leggy, loved his hair and like the suit ... thought that right collar caught my attention a few times. 

The Appel Room is an interesting venue with Columbus Circle and Broadway in the background. Really dramatic. 

Well, bummed the series is done. Hopefully there is a plan for one or more seasons! I could see Neil Patrick Harris doing a wonderful gig there.