pixeltracker

SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN

SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#1SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:05am

I won't be able to see this production but I keep hearing about how stunning the final image is.  Can someone explain what happens?

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#2SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:08am

I don't think it's the final image so much as the incredible transition from Act 1 to Act 2 (show is performed without an intermission) and the brilliance of the use of the set and physical production throughout.  It really can't be described, and is meant to be experienced!  

My best hope for you is that they will videotape this for PBS or something - it should definitely be recorded for posterity!

stlrod
#3SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:10am

Agree with above after seeing it last night.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:13am

Here's how I would describe it: 

In act 1, we see the main set, which is a very ornate, but ordinary room. Then, during the transition, the back wall of the room is removed, and replaced with clear glass. On the other side of the glass is an exact replica of the room, set up in a mirror image. So it almost appears as if the clear glass were a mirror. THEN on the other side of the replica room, is an ACTUAL mirror, reflecting both versions of the room. So it's like you're seeing 4 versions of the same room. The beauty of it (besides being a cool effect) is that it's actually very difficult at first for your brain to make sense of what you're seeing. It's hard to tell what is a reflection, and what isn't, which is trippy. 

Then at the end, the mirror angles downward IIRC, so you see the replica room kind of from a higher angle through the reflection above the real rooms. 

Updated On: 5/24/18 at 11:13 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:16am

The glass separating the real set from the mirrored set also results in some haunting and beautiful ghostly reflections of the cast as they move and sit in the second act- so, for instance, you're seeing Laurie Metcalf sit in a chair, and then a gauzy reflection of Laurie Metcalf sitting in a real chair in the mirrored set.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LxGstv
#6SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:17am

If you look at this picture you’ll get an idea of the set:

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/83538/John+Golden+Theatre/section-Rear+Mezzanine/row-F/seat-110/

So the change in acts happens with the screen coming down again and the white lights becoming brighter, when the screen goes up its revealed that the back wall in the bedroom in the picture above is no longer there, instead there’s a glass wall and the set is literally replicated as a mirror image. Now the part that gets interesting  is that behind the repeated set there’s actually a mirror. It’s very interesting visually, reminded me of Yerma actually.
So in the final scene the mirror in the back tilts forwards and it reflects the set from a different angle, you can get an idea based on this picture:

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/83480/John+Golden+Theatre/section-Orch/row-E/seat-124/

Hope that gives you an idea of how it plays out.
Also, figured it’s kind of pointless to put it in spoiler tags when the title of the thread mentions spoilers.

Updated On: 5/24/18 at 11:17 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#7SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:19am

Tacking onto what Kad says, the final image of the three women holding hands and facing out at the audience results in a ghostly reflection of the three women holding hands at the foot of A’s bed, looking down at her. It’s really overwhelmingly beautiful.

stlrod
#8SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:37am

I also have s spoiler request so stop reading if you don’t want to hear it. Saw it last night and it was incredible. Why is The Boy not credited until after the show ends?

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#9SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:42am

I said it couldn't really be described, but you guys did a terrific job of doing just that!  Nice...

But I really DO hope this will be recorded for posterity!  Sublime production, top to bottom, in every way...

LxGstv
#10SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 11:46am

stlrod said: "I also have s spoiler request so stop reading if you don’t want to hear it. Saw it last night and it was incredible. Why is The Boy not credited until after the show ends?"

Because they don’t want to ruin the surprise of his appearance. Blackbird did the same thing for a character and I kinda wish Harry Potter would have too. Harry Potter does have a little notice saying that reading the cast list can spoil some surprises.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#11SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 12:19pm

stlrod said: "I also have s spoiler request so stop reading if you don’t want to hear it."

Shouldn't have clicked into the thread if they don't want TTW spoilers, no?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#12SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 12:20pm

LxGstv said: "I kinda wish Harry Potter would have too. Harry Potter does have a little notice saying that reading the cast list can spoil some surprises."

So, it only affects people who disregard that notice and keep reading anyway?

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#13SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 12:21pm

Thanks everyone.  Miriam Buether's set does look stunning.  I wish I could see it live.  Hopefully they record this production for broadcast.

kevinr
#14SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 12:26pm

I am in New York the first week of July so fingers are crossed that it will extend after Glenda Jackson wins the Tony (and it may pick up some other Tonys as well).

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#15SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 9:35pm

I don't think I've ever seen and/or been as emotionally transformed and moved, not only by these wonderful TALL women, but by this stunning set design. It is truly a wondrous idea of interpretation and phenomenal staging. 

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#16SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/24/18 at 10:00pm

Here's an interesting article where Joe Mantello discusses Miriam Buether's set and describes the way the set works.

Broadway’s Joe Mantello Talks ‘Three Tall Women’...

AntV
#17SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/25/18 at 6:27am

Is there any significance to the other two women starting the second act on the other side of the glass?

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#18SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/25/18 at 7:15am

AntV said: "Is there any significance to the other two women starting the second act on the other side of the glass?"

My interpretation was that they were just checking up on A in the “real” world and they spend their time in limbo in the other bedroom. Mostly I think it’s just a simple way of letting the audience know the other side of the mirror is real and not just a reflection.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#19SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/26/18 at 12:22pm

Regarding the Mantello article mentioned here, he speaks of the actress in the bed in the second part. He says most people tell him they hadn't noticed her. I was in the Mezzanine and also didn't realize that was a real person in the bed. I thought it was a mannequin as the original production had. Mantello says she moves her head and hand at certain points. Did others miss this or see this? Curious. I feel like I should see it again just for those moments. I didn't take the insert when leaving the theatre where I was told the actor playing the Boy is listed. Wondering if the actress playing the Woman in the Bed is also listed. Thx!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#20SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/26/18 at 12:43pm

Three Tall Women is definitely the best thing about this season. I also thought the woman in the bed was a mannequin. I'm definitely going back to see this before it closes and catching all the nuances I probably missed the first time I saw it because I was so bowled over by Glenda Jackson and Laure Metcalf.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#21SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/26/18 at 12:45pm

I saw it last night and I noticed her head and hand move and I thought I was crazy at first. I just assumed it was a mannequin, but then The Boy grabs her hand and it seemed real, so I figured it was a real woman. She’s not listed anywhere, which I don’t get. Why don’t they credit her as well after the show? Is she the standby for A? If so, then who’s in the bed if Glenda Jackson is out?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#22SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 5/30/18 at 11:02pm

LxGstv said: "stlrod said: "I also have s spoiler request so stop reading if you don’t want to hear it. Saw it last night and it was incredible. Why is The Boy not credited until after the show ends?"

Because they don’t want to ruin the surprise of his appearance. Blackbird did the same thing for a characterand I kinda wish Harry Potter would have too. Harry Potter does have a little notice saying that reading the cast list can spoil some surprises.
"

Oh my god, THANK YOU. I saw the play tonight (marvelous, I’m still choked up) but I have been driving myself crazy trying to remember what other show I had seen where a character was a surprise and they gave out that additional bio sheet after the show. Blackbird!! I was trying to convince myself it was Waitress, with Lulu, but that didn’t seem right.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#23SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 6/9/18 at 7:34pm

I have a spoilerish question too. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

At the beginning of the show, one woman is the lawyer, one is the paid caregiver, and the other one is the matriarch. But after the transformation, they are all the same woman, the playwright's mother, at three different ages.

But are they all supposed to be his mother even at the beginning? Or do they transform?

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#24SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 6/9/18 at 9:01pm

macnyc said: "I have a spoilerish question too.

At the beginning of the show, one woman is the lawyer, one is the paid caregiver, and the other one isthe matriarch. But after the transformation, they are all the same woman, the playwright's mother, at three different ages.

But are they all supposed to be his mother even at the beginning? Or do they transform?

"

macnyc:

I believe they are not the same woman in the beginning. Glenda Jackson is always the same character (the mother), but B and C aren't. They start as the lawyer and caretaker, who are separate characters, then become the young versions of A in the second part. 

B and C play two characters, but A is always the same woman through the play.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#25SPOILER request - THREE TALL WOMEN
Posted: 6/9/18 at 9:13pm

macnyc said: "I have a spoilerish question too.

At the beginning of the show, one woman is the lawyer, one is the paid caregiver, and the other one isthe matriarch. But after the transformation, they are all the same woman, the playwright's mother, at three different ages.

"

I’m certainly no Albee expert, but the way I interpreted it... Act 1 is the real world where they’re the three different characters that we see. Then, when she has a stroke, we see (in Act 2) a sort of dream/purgatory world where she’s reflecting on her life. That’s why we can still see her son visiting her in bed, in the “real world” that’s still existing on the other side of the glass.

Updated On: 6/9/18 at 09:13 PM

Videos