A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date

Cfried
#1A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 6:38pm

Final performance August 5th. It's had a very nice run and I'm guessing it'll recoup on tour if it hasn't already. 

What's next for the Longacre?

http://www.playbill.com/article/a-bronx-tale-sets-broadway-closing-date 

Updated On: 6/27/18 at 06:38 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 6:39pm

An insanely impressive run for a show nobody expected anything from.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#3A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 6:41pm

I can’t tell you how many times I forgot this show was still running. It really was a remarkable run.

Does an 8/5 closing date give them time to repurpose the sets and costumes for the tour?

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#4A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 6:43pm

I’d go see it the closing day but kind of want to see Rachel Bay Jones’ last show. It had a great run and I truly hope to catch it while on tour.

trpguyy
#5A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 6:47pm

adamgreer said: "I can’t tell you how many times I forgot this show was still running. It really was a remarkable run.

Does an 8/5 closing date give them time to repurpose the sets and costumes for the tour?

"

Costumes, sure. The set will likely go into a combination of storage and dumpster; I can't think of a single Broadway set that has gone on tour.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#6A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 6:54pm

Didn't the original set of SUNSET BOULEVARD go on the first tour? Or was it the LA set that went out - which the B'way set was copied from? 

trpguyy
#7A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 7:01pm

David10086 said: "Didn't the original set of SUNSET BOULEVARD go on the first tour? Or was it the LA set that went out - which the B'way set was copied from?"

Perhaps that was the Broadway set; it was also two decades ago and took several weeks (close to a month IIRC?) to load in. I'll amend my statement -- in the current touring business model, Broadway sets do not tour. 

Updated On: 6/27/18 at 07:01 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#8A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 7:09pm

Good riddance. Absolutely hated everything about this show.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 7:10pm

David10086 said: "Didn't the original set of SUNSET BOULEVARD go on the first tour? Or was it the LA set that went out - which the B'way set was copied from?"

It was the same design but it wasn’t the actual Broadway set used in the tour if that’s what you mean. The show was still running on Broadway when the first tour opened.

10086sunset
#10A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 7:11pm

It was a very good run. Lasted longer than anyone thought. 

VintageSnarker
#11A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 7:26pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "An insanely impressive run for a show nobody expected anything from."

What are you talking about? It was Jersey Boys meets West Side Story. A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#12A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 7:30pm

It was certainly impressive how this show received mediocre reviews and zero Tony nominations, but still managed to run as long as it did.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#13A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 7:53pm

trpguyy said: "The set will likely go into a combination of storage and dumpster; I can't think of a single Broadway set that has gone on tour."

Yes, but everyone thinks that happens with every show that closes... not sure why a permanent set for Broadway would be portable and able to break down and fit into trucks like a tour set, but oh well...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 8:07pm

The Newsies set went on tour and the set from THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG is being used for the tour.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#15A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 8:26pm

I literally remember absolutely nothing about this show.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

natashalost
#16A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 8:31pm

Ran much longer than I think anyone could have predicted. 

First musical to close this summer too!

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#18A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 8:58pm

trpguyy said: ""I can't think of a single Broadway set that has gone on tour."

The Anything Goes set was sent on tour (with modifications). I also think that the car and some set pieces from Hedwig were reused - although the solid background pieces were replaced by painted fabric. Updated On: 6/27/18 at 08:58 PM

trpguyy
#19A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 9:01pm

ACL2006 said: "The Newsies set went on tour"

No it didn’t. 

Fordham2015
#20A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 9:11pm

Really wonderful show and I'm sad to see it go- it's got one of Menken's most underrated scores.

At the same time, it ran a hell of a lot longer than I expected it to. That last act bit of desperation with Chazz joining the cast didn't help.

TheatreRocks Profile Photo
TheatreRocks
#21A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/27/18 at 10:47pm

I'm well aware of my being in the minority here but this show is phenomenal. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I remember saying to myself afterwards "what a breath of fresh air". Sad to see it go.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:42am

Was so excited to see this show, and then I saw it. Just awful. Cheesy, cliched, nothing memorable or interesting about the staging/design. I'm sure it will do fine regionally and on tour. I can see this def. having a non-eq tour in the next season. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#23A BRONX TALE Sets Closing Date
Posted: 6/28/18 at 12:52am

Glad to have the gem that is the Longacre back.