pixeltracker

PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews- Page 4

PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 11:39am

Yet they were STILL too cheap to put the song in there.

Owen22
#76PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:06pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Yeah, just because a musical is based on a movie doesn’t mean the book has to be transcribed word for word from the screenplay. This barely can be counted as an adaptation when so much is directly lifted from the film"

Yes, but "Mean Girls" and even-more-so "Legally Blonde" are shows that they basically threw some songs at the screenplay and they're pretty big hits..

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#77PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:14pm

Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that throwing a screenplay word for word would lead to financial ruin- just creative ruin. The first thing I mentioned initially was that I think this has the ability to run.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Dolly80
#78PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:28pm

What a shame this sounds like such a dud.

Like Casey Nicolaw, Jerry Mitchell has zero taste level which sounds in evidence slowing such a basic set and nasty costumes making it on stage.
Everything about this production sounds basic.

At least it gives Andy Karl some work until he reprieves his role in Groundhog Day in London later this year.

Jordan Catalano
#79PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:57pm

Comparing this to MEAN GIRLS isn’t fair at all. Tina Fey adapted her script masterfully, giving people just enough of what they love about the movie while also giving the audience something new and fresh, along with a (in my opinion) pretty damn strong score. PRETTY WOMAN is the polar opposite to that.

robskynyc
#80PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 4:33pm

stephimarie said: "My girlfriend got there at 5am (super extra but she wanted to be first). The next person showed up at 6. By 7 there were 4 people total. By 9, 10 people total. By the time the box office opened, there were about 20 people. No idea how many tickets they had, she left after she got ours."

thank you! <3 im gonna try for tuesday :)

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#81PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 4:40pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Comparing this to MEAN GIRLS isn’t fair at all. Tina Fey adapted her script masterfully, giving people just enough of what they love about the movie while also giving the audience something new and fresh, along with a (in my opinion) pretty damn strong score. PRETTY WOMAN is the polar opposite to that."

Tina Fey's adaptation is hardly masterful. While I agree it's definitely more interesting than Pretty Woman, it does nothing to make it truly unique from the movie. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#82PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 5:08pm

First, in full disclosure, I have not seen this show and have no plans to. I’ve only seen the movie once the year it came out. But I had just one thought and then a question.

I’m wondering if one reason they didn’t use any of the songs from the movie soundtrack (other than licensing issues/costs and that they wouldn’t move the plot along which apparently Adams’s score doesn’t either) is because Adams’s ego wouldn’t agree to write songs if hit songs from the soundtrack were also used. I recently re-watched a rerun of a James Cordon episode where he chose to answer a question truthfully rather than eat something yucky. (Steven Tyler was the guest that night if you want to search for it on You Tube). As Cordon tactfully explained it (the question was whether a guest had ever walked off the show), Adams was supposed to do Carpool Karaoke, but apparently his management failed to tell him it wouldn’t be all Adams songs but also other hit 80’s pop songs. When Adams found out in the studio, he stormed out and didn’t film the segment. In retrospect, I suppose it is understandable, but I wonder if that would have played a part in not using soundtrack songs. I understand he shouldn’t have been given that kind of power (if in fact he was) within PW and hopefully wasn’t.

My question is for WhizzerMarvin. Is that Suzanne Somers (in a car costume) in your profile pic? It’s hard to tell on my iPhone BWW app.

Updated On: 7/22/18 at 05:08 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#83PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 5:16pm

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 2/20/19 at 05:16 PM

robskynyc
#84PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 5:29pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Is that Suzanne Somers (in a car costume) in your profile pic?"

SUZANNE SOMERS- THIS IS MY BAD SIDE!!! lol

Jordan Catalano
#85PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 5:35pm

“Tina Fey's adaptation is hardly masterful. While I agree it's definitely more interesting than Pretty Woman, it does nothing to make it truly unique from the movie."

Ok so your opinion is different than mine. I think it IS masterful in the fact that she was able to take something people knew so well and adapt it to something that feels fresh. 

Solipsist234
#86PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 5:40pm

Guys, you're all entitled to your opinion, no matter what you believe. There's- oh, how should I say this?- a certain form of subjectivity that revolves around art and its principles. So Jordan didn't like Pretty Woman - who cares! He is entitled to his opinion, as is everyone that gets the chance to see this show.

Now, could we get this thread back on track please? I want to hear more about Pretty Woman!

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#87PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 5:43pm

How was the merch table?

Jordan Catalano
#88PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 5:44pm

They have windowcards, T-shirt’s, hoodies and (I think) tote bags.

smidge
#89PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:00pm

This may have been asked before, but what is the current runtime for the show?

Jordan Catalano
#90PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:02pm

It was right around 2:30

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#91PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:11pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Comparing this to MEAN GIRLS isn’t fair at all. Tina Fey adapted her script masterfully, giving people just enough of what they love about the movie while also giving the audience something new and fresh, along with a (in my opinion) pretty damn strong score. PRETTY WOMAN is the polar opposite to that. "

I thought both the book and score were tragic. It felt like an off-Broadway musical “parody” of Mean Girls. Yeesh. 

Jordan Catalano
#92PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:12pm

Cool.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#93PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:13pm

Dolly80 said: "
At least it gives Andy Karl some work until he reprieves his role in Groundhog Day in London later this year."

Nowhere has it been mentioned that Andy will reprise his GH role in London, only that Tim Minchin stated there would be a revival this year.  I would honestly love for you to provide details on Andy reprising his role in London.  Por favor, Anita!

stephimarie Profile Photo
stephimarie
#94PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:16pm

Jordan Catalano said: "They have windowcards, T-shirt’s, hoodies and (I think) tote bags."

also pins, magnets, a hat, a little compact mirror, water bottle, mug, popsocket...I think that's it.

Two different tote bag styles and like 4 different tshirts. a better selection than I was expecting honestly.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#95PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:18pm

Awesome, thanks guys.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#96PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:54pm

Owen22 said: "WhizzerMarvin said: "Yeah, just because a musical is based on a movie doesn’t mean the book has to be transcribed word for word from the screenplay. This barely can be counted as an adaptation when so much is directly lifted from the film"

Yes, but "Mean Girls" and even-more-so "Legally Blonde" are shows that they basically threw some songs at the screenplay and they're pretty big hits..
"

Oddly enough, I actually think the Legally Blonde musical doesn't get nearly enough credit for expanding its story for the stage. I just saw a production of it recently and was struck by how tidy the structure is. Sure, it's silly (although often tongue-in-cheek) but to me, it's one of the most successful examples of how to expand upon characters without shoehorning stuff in.

I think that's something that a lot of screen-to-stage adaptations as of late have not managed to do: mine the original story for the most powerful moment and think about what layers can be added (instead of just spending five-minute songs on hammering home the most famous aspect of a character's personality). 

Sorry to have gotten away from the Pretty Woman track, but I feel like talking about other movies-to-musicals is closely related when we're talking about the strengths and shortcomings of one of that genre.

nyclover2
#97PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 6:54pm

Dolly80 said: "What a shame this sounds like such a dud.

Like Casey Nicolaw, Jerry Mitchell has zero taste level which sounds in evidence slowing such a basic set and nasty costumes making it on stage.
Everything about this production sounds basic.

At least it gives Andy Karl some work until he reprieves his role in Groundhog Day in London later this year.
"

I think they need to stop being directors and 'only' be choreographers . I do not agree though with your statement. Eventhough LB was stupid. And BOM was silly they had great sets and costumes . And I do not feel MG had a basic set at all

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#98PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 8:53pm

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Dolly80 said: "
At least it gives Andy Karl some work until he reprieves his role in Groundhog Day in London later this year."

Nowhere has it been mentioned that Andy will reprise his GH role in London, only that Tim Minchin stated there would be a revival this year. I would honestly love for you to provide details on Andy reprising his role in London. Por favor, Anita!

"

Not to get too far off-topic, but has there been any more up-to-date info about another London production of GHD? I know it was mentioned with the Broadway closing announcement, but I haven't heard much since.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#99PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/22/18 at 11:06pm

Finally adding my two cents after going to the first and second previews.

The bad: I'll echo what others have said in that there's little deviation from the movie, and the creative team is scared of straying from the memorable lines and moments.

The lyrics are really, really bland.

The show also does little to address the ways that the story hasn't aged well. Thankfully Samantha Barks is charming enough, and the chemistry between her and Andy Karl is good enough that I could just go along with it. In short, much like the movie, you need to turn your think-piece brain off while watching.

The middling: When I first heard preview snippets of “I Can’t Go Back” and “You and I”, I found them very bland. But the truth is I’ve had a few songs stuck in my head after watching the first previews. It’s still not Best Score material, but they’re growing on me, a la early 90s earworms ??

A lot of the ensemble numbers resemble what you get in Legally Blonde, Kinky Boots, etc. That being said, it’s a formula I find enjoyable, if not new. The sets were fine, if not standouts.

The good: The cast works the heck out of the material. Samantha Barks is incredibly charming and manages to go through all the motions of the movie without sounding like Julia Roberts. Her chemistry with Andy Karl was steamy.

I'm a big fan of Andy Karl's and am thrilled he's back on Broadway. The material gives him less to work with, but he does more with it than you’d think and I continue to be impressed by his acting. For all that it’s become en vogue to make fun of the PW story, I really did believe his Edward had fallen hard for Vivian and that he was willing to turn around his world to be with her. Andy was able to stray away from the Richard Gere interpretation and add his own crazy spin, but without making me ever feel like I was watching Phil Connors. He seemed more comfortable in the second preview. I'm sure he's only going to get better.

Orfeh’s role is very similar to Paulette, but it’s fun and she’s good at it. She has a fantastic voice and I wish Broadway would utilize her more. Jason Danieley REALLY doesn’t get much to do as Stuckey, but he’s suitably sleazy. Eric Anderson was a lot of fun as he showed up as different characters. Tommy Bracco is a standout as the hotel bellhop.

So my verdict: Will this get panned by critics? Probably. Did my heart soar when Edward and Vivian finally kissed on the mouth? Yes.

The cast is great, and I found myself grinning through most of it. If you take it for what it is, it's a fun night. I’m sure I’ll be back sometime soon.

FYI, the principals all signed at the stage door, but there wasn’t room for photos. The barricades at the Nederlander were poorly organized IMO. They were set up in a square shape, and despite there not being *that* many people, we had to stand two to three rows deep. I’m sure the location of the Nederlander stage door doesn’t help, but Newsies used to play there, and I’m sure they had decent-sized stage door crowds.  I really hope the management figures out something that’s easier on everybody, because you would think there are better ways to do this.