pixeltracker

"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."- Page 2

"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#25"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 12:58pm

Gink said: "Gink said: "Mister Matt said: "It's not as bad as Good-Time Girl from Over Here or The Beauty Underneath from Love Never Dies, but it's pretty close."

Lol--my high school did this show in the 80's. I believe some of the lyrics were "Although she looks like Venus, she may infect your penis" And "You don't want to dance the VD polka!"
"

I can't find the lyrics on-line, but I'm trying to remember if 'penis' was sung aloud or if they did something else. Not sure this would fly today. Oh, the 80's.
"

Found this--perhaps we just added the other line. "

Though she may look like Venus...

She might not be the cleanest!"

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#26"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 1:21pm

I hope I'm not the only one here who saw the infamous "shoe number" in Spider-Man before it was cut. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#27"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 1:53pm

I hope I'm not the only one here who saw the infamous "shoe number" in Spider-Man before it was cut.

Deeply Furious!  I saw that.  LOL  Yes, that does indeed rank up there, if not for the worst, the most WTF numbers of all-time.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#28"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 1:54pm

I saw it. It was something.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#29"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 2:00pm

Lies! It will soon be "Roxanne" from Moulin Rouge with Aaron Tveit scream singing "put on the red light" repeatedly for what seemed an eternity in a hot, stuffy theater. A glimpse of the torture I will suffer in the afterlife if I don't clean up my act I'm sure.

#30"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 2:09pm

The tap number from Escape to Margaritaville. Easily the worst example of "we need a tap number" I've seen, including DISASTER.

Speaking of Disaster, my worst moment would have to be Manoel Felciano throwing body parts over the side of the boat to "One, Two, Three times a Lady".

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 2:14pm

“Men and me are like pianos, when they get upright, I am grand”. Hilarious. My personal life mantra and probably the mantra of 99% of people on this forum haha. Didn’t realise the song was considered ‘bad’.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#32"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 3:01pm

^ I didn't either- I thinks it's a gem! I also think those commenting on "Disaster" being a disaster are not getting that it was a send up to the disaster B movies of the 70's- it was pure camp! 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 4:23pm

Everything in Disaster was ... a disaster. That was the point. They were all in on the joke. 

I feel the same way with Gettin the Band Back Together. Sure it's still a hot mess of a show - cartoon sets for no reason - but that song is meant to be cringy and funny. And that's what it is. 

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#34"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 5:17pm

"Deeply Furious" has to be the most WTF Broadway number I've seen, and it's also a dead ringer for Britney Spears' "Toxic."

It's just too bad THE FIRST WIVES CLUB's "Red-day for change!" trio didn't arrive to steal the crown.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#35"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 6:01pm

There's always "We've Got to Make It Through the Winter," from "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," where the seven brothers try to get through the winter without masturbating by dancing furiously, but keep getting distracted by fantasies about their ladies in states of undress.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#36"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/21/18 at 11:46pm

Yes, the Hava Nagila rap is terrible. But it was possibly the biggest laugh I got during that entire show.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Jarethan
#37"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/22/18 at 12:24am

BroadwayConcierge said: "It is only currently rivaled by “Hygge” in Frozen."

I have to say that I immediately thought of that song as well.  I can't believe that Disney hasn't tried to come up with a better number that that since it opened.  It is atrociously bad (and I didn't hate Frozen -- I found it mildly diverting, if mediocre).

There are so many candidates for worst.  Some of the shows were so awful, and the songs so instantly dismissable, I wouldn't waste my time even thinking about them.  Re generally good shows, I would certainly ask everyone to remember some of the filler songs in Billy Elliott, especially those early in Act 1...I don't even remember their names; I just remember wondering why so much colorless filler so early in the show.  I also think there are a couple of real clinkers in Wicked, particularly the one with Dr. Dillamond (I have blocked it out, so I don't remember the title).

After Eight
#38"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/22/18 at 7:02am

I thought the song about the best friend and the protagonist's mother was even worse. So too those ghastly songs from Spring Awakening and Fun Home. And don't forget "No Place Like London" --- if only I could!

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#39"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/22/18 at 3:13pm

The hippie send-up from Henry Sweet Henry, "Weary Near To Dyin'", comes immediately to mind, the printed lyrics are (literally) something like "beep boop oh wup lu lu lu lu zee bee zee wup lu lu lu". 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#40"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/22/18 at 3:54pm

"The hippie send-up from Henry Sweet Henry, "Weary Near To Dyin'", comes immediately to mind, the printed lyrics are (literally) something like "beep boop oh wup lu lu lu lu zee bee zee wup lu lu lu"."

Is that any worse than the celebrated:
"Gliddy glup gloopy nibby nabby noopy la la la lo lo
Sabba sibby sabba nooby abba nabba le le lo lo
Tooby ooby walla nooby abba nabba"?

And Henry, Sweet Henry had its first performance five days before Hair.

Fosse76
#41"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/22/18 at 4:36pm

The rap Hava Nagila may, arguably, be the worst number on Broadway. But I thought it was the best part of that awful show.

#42"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/22/18 at 7:15pm

Like a lionesses
Only with less fur
Do not mess with her
She’s the apex predator

[Cady]
At the watering hole
See the girls who weren't nice
Have to scatter like mice
From a jungle cat”

Ah Mean Girls. I was asleep for that one though or I would have noticed how awful it was at the time. It takes a lot of boredom to fall asleep in a show that is amplified at over 100 decibels continuously for a couple of hours. I think there were songs worse from a musical point of view but those lyrics were dire.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#43"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/23/18 at 10:33pm

newintown said: "Is that any worse than the celebrated:
"Gliddy glup gloopy nibby nabby noopy la la la lo lo
Sabba sibby sabba nooby abba nabba le le lo lo
Tooby ooby walla nooby abba nabba"?

AndHenry, Sweet Henryhad its first performancefive days beforeHair.
"

I'd say it's worse, because Good Morning Starshine is a much better song, and, as cheesy as it is, Hair was earnest in its use of hippie phraseology and ideology, while HSH's was a limp (at best) satire, though I'm sure the Bennett choreography was superb.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#44"The rap Hava Nagila is possibly the worst number ever on Broadway."
Posted: 8/24/18 at 5:50am

That stanza is the characters singing about singing, hence the lack of actual lyrics.