pixeltracker

Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?

Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 6:48pm

On the latest Live at five Jason Robert Brown mentioned Jesse was interested in playing Leo and even went to JRB’s house to sing the score. I’ve never heard him sing, but if JRB approves the idea I’m sure he isn’t that bad. Though, I’m wondering if he’s a big enough name for a commercial producer to take this on. Thoughts? Would love to see a parade revival no matter what.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Sunny11
#2Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 7:02pm

It was eight years ago now but the Social Network made 224 million USD and he has had a steady movie career since so year- if he can sing - why not. 

Updated On: 9/18/18 at 07:02 PM

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#3Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 7:45pm

He can sing. Not sure how good his voice is nowadays, but he was on broadway as a kid and is featured on those Broadway Kids albums from the 90’s. Haha

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#4Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 8:13pm

I doubt he’d sell it. I’m not even sure Jake Gyllenhall could sell it, but he’d probably be their best chance at profitability.

Updated On: 9/18/18 at 08:13 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#5Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 8:19pm

I don't think Eisenberg alone would be enough, unless they happened to do it out-of-town or in London first, got rave reviews, and came into a small Broadway theatre with momentum. And even then it probably wouldn't be a sure bet.

Wait 10 years and let Ben Platt do it!

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#6Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 8:35pm

Daniel Radcliffe.

He even resembles the real Leo Frank.

UncleCharlie
#7Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 9:18pm

Jesse Eisenberg is one of those "oh, he's in this too. Cool!." Not sure he's a "Jesse Eisenberg is in this. Now I gotta go." So... no.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#8Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 9:45pm

none of these names sell the show. I don't know of a name that does (and who can do the work).

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#9Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/18/18 at 9:46pm

Jesse paired with someone like Jessie Mueller would sell very well, especially with good word of mouth and reviews. I'd still probably rather see Daniel Radcliffe.

rjm516
#10Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:06am

I can't imagine he would be better than Gyllenhaal would be (who I want to do this/anything), but even he would need to be paired with a female star (at least a star in the theatre world). 

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#11Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:19am

Would love to see a Jonathan Groff and Amanda Seyfried take on Leo and Lucille.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#12Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:20am

*double post*

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 9/19/18 at 10:20 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#13Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:23am

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaake.....

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#14Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:27am

DanRad can sell anything.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#15Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:28am

what is being described in posts here are the makings of a non-profit revival, not a commercial production. the play is a hard sell, the composer is a proven non-seller, and these actors will not breach the wall between theatre-goers and the general public as would be required.

Jarethan
#16Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:29am

I have not seen Parade, nor have I actually ever listened to the score.  Other than the ensemble Now You See Me, Eisenberg hasn't had a hit since Social Network.  I think he would probably be excellent, assuming he can carry the score, but don't see him selling tickets in advance; maybe if it and he get mega-great-reviews, his presence will then help to sell tickets.

Of course, there are other questions that impact the possible answers: (1) non-profit or for-profit production, with limited or open-ended engagement?  Scaled down production or Harold Prince scale? is there really any female box office attraction who would take the non-leading role, unless it was limited engagement and she wanted to show her chops?

I think Jake G would sell tickets, as already proven; maybe he could open it on a limited engagement, non-profit basis; and, if really successful, maybe Eisenberg would be a good replacement if there were indications that an extension without Jake G might be viable.  Re an open-ended, for profit, I think it will need a star on the magnitude of Jake G.  Not sure I can think of one who has the talent, the voice, is the right age, and has the star power to sell tickets in advance.

Of course, as proven, Daniel Radcliffe sells a lot of tickets, but he can't guarantee a hit.  If he can sing the score AND the show and he get excellent reviews, he would then help to sell a lot more tickets.

IMO.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#17Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:41am

Does anyone know if Mark Zuckerberg can sing, and would he sell tickets?
At 34, he's definitely the right age.

SomethingPeculiar
#18Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 10:55am

Jarethan said: "I have not seen Parade, nor have I actually ever listened to the score."

What makes you think Eisenberg (or any of these people) would be good for the role, then? 

Thinking more, I actually wonder if Eisenberg is likeable enough to pull it off (box office aside). It's such tricky, dark material, and the show really only works if the audience believes that Leo is innocent. In 2018, it's especially tough.

If anything, it feels like a show for 2nd Stage. I imagine LCT is still a little scarred from the experience of the original, and it doesn't seem commercial enough for the other Broadway non-profits.

Updated On: 9/19/18 at 10:55 AM

Call_me_jorge
#19Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 11:30am

For a female star I can someone like Amy Adams doing really well as Lucille

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#20Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 12:46pm

Euan Morton was incredible as Leo Frank at Ford's Theatre in 2011. He looked very much like Leo Frank, and I'd love for him to tackle the role again.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#21Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 2:05pm

If Jake Gyllenhaal can't sell the show, no one can. (I do think he might be able to sell the show though. People weren't shelling out the big dollars because they had to see another production of Sunday so close after the previous one. It was Jake and Jake alone). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

mailhandler777
#22Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 2:21pm

Who???

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

SomethingPeculiar
#23Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 2:24pm

qolbinau said: "If Jake Gyllenhaal can't sell the show, no one can. (I do think he might be able to sell the show though. People weren't shelling out the big dollars because they had to see another production of Sunday so close after the previous one. It was Jake and Jake alone)."

Jake did sell it! Sunday recouped. Though Sunday is a safer bet than Parade.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#24Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 2:32pm

Parade + Jake ≠ Sunday + Jake

Sunday is a show a lot of people like/love and don't mind sitting through (again). Not that they "had to see" but wanted to see it with the extra inducement of Jake. It is also a familiar show with a familiar and beloved composer. 

Parade on the other hand is a show many people do not want to sit through even once and certainly not more. (how do you even go about pitching it to the general public?) The question is if Jake is a strong enough inducement for that. And to close the loop, it is not a familiar show and does not have a familiar and beloved composer. In fact it has a composer who has proven incapable of attracting a general audience even for very easy to swallow shows. 

Call_me_jorge
#25Would Jesse Eisenberg be a big enough name for a Parade Revival?
Posted: 9/19/18 at 3:05pm

mailhandler777 said: "Who??? "

Well obviously YOU wouldn’t know who Jesse is. You only care about former Elphabas...