Company London

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#350Company London
Posted: 2/7/19 at 2:00pm

I'm enjoying this new recording and find many of the changes fascinating.

But when this inevitably transfers, I hope they don't bring over every member of this cast. It's unnecessary.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#351Company London
Posted: 2/7/19 at 2:34pm

Rosalie brings new life to the song Someone Is Waiting. Dang she sounds good.

Updated On: 2/7/19 at 02:34 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#352Company London
Posted: 2/7/19 at 4:06pm

The show was cancelled during the first act tonight apparently. Craig is still sick and the understudy couldn’t continue, also sick. Very unusual for shows to be in this predicament!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#353Company London
Posted: 2/7/19 at 5:51pm

So on the topic of Company - a friend of mine told me that one of his friends told him that Company is being negotiated to be filmed for Netflix. Nothing is official yet apparently. They were going to broadcast the production into cinemas but the deal fell through and now Netflix have jumped in the ring.
Not sure how true this is. I don’t know the person who the information comes from personally but if it were true I’d absolutely sob with gratitude.
We’ll just have to wait and see if anything comes from this rumour.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#354Company London
Posted: 2/7/19 at 6:09pm

That would mean a transfer is off the table.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#355Company London
Posted: 2/7/19 at 8:58pm

A Netflix taping would be excellent. They need to do more of these.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#356Company London
Posted: 2/10/19 at 1:56pm

Some more cast recording thoughts: This recording play extremely well with repeated listening, unlike the recent NT Follies recording, which is pretty awful.

The male “Drive a Person Crazy” is one of my favorite standouts. The female version can get a little boring to me, and this new version is smashing.

The new “Tick Tock” arrangement is growing on me. I love how there’s a just a few touches that sound like a nod to the original arrangement. The more synthesized sound remind me of the new Chromolume music from the recent SITPWG revival.

The orchestrations have all grown on me. I love how Cullen retained much of the original 1970 sound, with some updates. Even though the production takes place in modern time, I would’ve been disappointed to lose the original sound. I am surprised they didn’t go with the modern/pop style ending of “Being Alive” with the drums from the 1996 London production. Instead, Cullen mostly retained Tunck’s ending.

Does anyone else wish the recording was a little louder? Regardless of what I play it on, I still wish it was louder.

Updated On: 2/10/19 at 01:56 PM

dotseurat2
#357Company London
Posted: 2/15/19 at 6:11pm

Listened to the cast recording today and I know I have to reserve judgement for seeing it in the theater. But what is initially bothering me is...I don't buy the guys caring that much or worrying that Bobbi doesn't have a "fella" (ugh Sondheim you are God but who says fella?!). No guy I know cares like that haha. They wouldn't worry about their female friend not settling down. They'd be more like, lucky girl is getting hers. Also, Have I Got a Guy for You doesn't work for me in this version either. Women of a certain age are not that obsessed with sex unless they are Samantha Jones. (Hee!) I get the point, "whaddya wanna get married for?" but the way I see it married sex can often lose that fire. The biggest change in marriage is lack of romance/passion and that's what most women crave. I can't see her female friends talking like this. They would be setting her up with a guy who has it all, not just in the sex department.

For those who have seen it, does it work in a different way through direction and staging that make you believe it? Or is it just me?

Oh, and I don't know if this just me being a selfish woman (ha!) but I don't love the male voices on the songs written for women. Maybe its just because that's what I'm used to. Drive a Person Crazy sounds fun, but.. meh. Another Hundred People....ouch. But it seems like from the word around here is AHP is a weak link and Getting Married Today on recording isn't doing the performance justice  

Updated On: 2/15/19 at 06:11 PM

Impossible2
#358Company London
Posted: 2/15/19 at 6:22pm

dotseurat2 said: "Listened to the cast recording today and I know I have to reserve judgement for seeing it in the theater. But what is initially bothering me is...I don't buy the guys caring that much or worrying that Bobbi doesn't have a "fella" (ugh Sondheim you are God but who says fella?!)."

Me...about 400 times a day x

binau Profile Photo
binau
#359Company London
Posted: 2/18/19 at 5:35pm

Patti is out of the show tonight! Devastating for audiences. I honestly believe she is the most important actor in this show. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Impossible2
#360Company London
Posted: 2/18/19 at 7:39pm

qolbinau said: "Patti is out of the show tonight! Devastating for audiences. I honestly believe she is the most important actor in this show."

She's only in it for 10 minutes *shrug

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#361Company London
Posted: 2/18/19 at 10:03pm

10 minutes??? Her entire club scene is longer than 10 minutes alone. Although, it's definitely a featured role, Elaine Stritch was nominated in the leading category. Its certainly larger than a 10 minute role. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#362Company London
Posted: 2/19/19 at 3:48am

Patti gets her little moments throughout the show to steal the limelight (e.g., from the very beginning "This is a dirty phone call", who wants to celebrate being that old, I have so many candles I could make a wax museum or whatever the line is), The Little Things You Do Together, Have I Got a Guy For You etc. plus that amazing night club scene. Yes it's a 'featured' role but adds so much........I suspect a lot of the energy would be sucked out of the show with her. 

rg7759
#363Company London
Posted: 2/19/19 at 8:48am

Barrymore would be perfect theatre no?

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#364Company London
Posted: 2/19/19 at 8:52am

rg7759 said: "Barrymore would be perfect theatre no?"

Sure! It was there last time. 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#365Company London
Posted: 2/25/19 at 12:02pm

Ben Brantley has weighed in on Company in London and...it's an unqualified rave! After this review, I would be shocked to see anyone except Rosalie Craig as Bobbie on Broadway. If the producers were waiting for a stamp of approval to bring it to New York, here it is. If they need another boost, the Olivier Awards are on April 7 (so noms will probably be out in the next few weeks). Though it's a stacked Revival field this year with Company, Fiddler, and Caroline.

But maybe the most interesting thing here is that he loves the new revival of Caroline, Or Change, a show that he famously dismissed in 2003. Perhaps this could make its way across the pond, too? He has high praise for Sharon D. Clarke, so that should put to bed any chatter of recasting with someone like Audra or Renée Elise Goldsberry. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#366Company London
Posted: 2/25/19 at 12:21pm

I personally didn't care for Rosalie Craig in Company when I saw her last month, and think there are many American actresses who could and would be better in the part. Despite Brantley's rave for her, I think most American audiences (and especially those post on this board) would heavily criticize Craig (especially her vocals). I hope the reports that a name was being sought for the role in New York are true. Otherwise its going to be Elena Roger all over again, I fear.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#367Company London
Posted: 2/25/19 at 1:18pm

Wow, what a review!

Hairspray0901
#368Company London
Posted: 2/25/19 at 1:33pm

I saw this in January during my trip to London. Unfortunately I was so tired (major jetlag) and left at intermission. However - Patti was hardly in the first act, and I found the show to be pretty boring. Apparently I left before her big show stopping number. Sigh. Hope they film this or it transfers here!

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#369Company London
Posted: 2/25/19 at 1:47pm

So wait - if it does film for a streaming service, then it wouldn't come to Broadway?

I pray it doesn't because I really want to see it live. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#370Company London
Posted: 2/25/19 at 1:51pm

There are certainly plenty of examples of shows that have been filmed in the West End that have still shown up on Broadway.  I don't understand why Netflix would be interested in filming this though. It seems more likely to be done as a one off event in motion picture houses, a la THE KING AND I or the NT Live productions.

Boq101
#371Company London
Posted: 2/25/19 at 10:44pm

I do wonder whether it will transfer at all. Marianne has another production set to happen and I would hate for the momentum drop to make this a harder sell to investors in a year. I also wonder if Rosalie being a mom would greatly deter her from crossing the pond with the production. As good as her reviews are, the regular American public are still more likely to show up with Anne Hathaway in the title role than with Rosalie. 

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#372Company London
Posted: 2/26/19 at 1:18pm

Rosalie’s daughter is very young, though, so I would guess now would be an easier time to do six to twelve months in New York, as opposed to when her daughter is school-aged. I also think Rosalie mentioned in an interview that she has a sister who lives in New York, so having family nearby would be a perk.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#373Company London
Posted: 2/26/19 at 2:14pm

While there are many things about Elliot's concept to champion, one of the issues I had (as a Brit who lives in the states) is that it distinctly lacked the feeling of New York, and its a very New York show. I truly hope they cast an entirely American cast for this if it comes to Broadway, because I think there will be a subconscious bias against the performers (including Craig) if this very American show is presented on Broadway with a British company.

And Rosalie Craig, despite Ben Brantley's kind notice of her is no Sutton Foster, Jessie Mueller, Audra McDonald or Kelli O'Hara. She is simply not at that level as a singing actress. I'm sorry to say it, but our standards for musical theatre performers in the West End is lesser than that of Broadway.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#374Company London
Posted: 3/1/19 at 2:56am

I agree with you that the New York standards are higher and the talent pool is larger but besides Jessie would you actually want to see any of those actors play the part? I’d like Laura Benanti, Patina Miller, Carmen Cusack, Renee Goldsberry..shoot me but if they want a hit Idina Menzel.