Company London

petey_p
#150Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 6:04am

You kind of hit the nail on the head by saying that "every line reading" of Patti's was spot on. That's what her performances tend to be: a collection of line readings. And they get more arbitrarily eccentric with each passing year.

Maybe- maaaaaaybe- playwrights like Noël Coward and Oscar Wilder can live by smart and clever line readings, but George Furth ain't Wilde or Coward and his linseed to sound as real and natural as possible.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#151Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 6:17am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I want this production here ASAP, but I only want it with LuPone. I’d be okay waiting a season if it means we can get LuPone with it. "

This is how I feel as well. I’m only interested in seeing this with LuPone. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#152Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 6:35am

Could that rumored Oscar winner possibly be Anna Paquin?

Updated On: 10/18/18 at 06:35 AM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#153Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 8:30am

I know I've said it earlier in the thread, but I would be shocked if this production transfers without LuPone. Her reviews and status in the [American] musical theater world alone would be reason enough, but given her history, I'd be really surprised if she didn't have a contract that guaranteed she would come to Broadway with the show. (Not to mention that Marianne Elliot kept pushing her to join the show even after LuPone said no. Elliot REALLY wanted to work with her, and I can't imagine would then leave the sole American in the cast behind if the show transfers.)

I also can't trust someone who thinks recasted is a word.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#154Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 8:49am

Really, everyone - remember the last time Patti got left in London with a show? AIn't gonna happen.

Clearly, the rumor is Anne Hathaway.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#155Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 9:50am

The Patti haters are too funny, always trying to diminish her success. She will be doing this on broadway, whether it’s this season or next, point blank. She received some of her best reviews.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#156Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 10:08am

I would be shocked if Patti did not have a right of first refusal for a transfer in this contract- or any high-profile contract she does, with an exceedingly sizeable payout if she is not asked. She's no fool. It's up to her.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#157Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 10:23am

henrikegerman said: "Could that rumored Oscar winner possibly be Anna Paquin?"

Not if they actually want to sell tickets! 

Hathaway is the obvious candidate. But, has she signed a contract/committed to starring in it? And do they have a theatre lined up for the spring? (Even though Jordan Roth is listed as a producer, I don't think that necessarily means it would play a Jujamcyn house. The Kerr would be the only possibility, if Girl From North Country falls through.)

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#158Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 10:44am

If this transferred with Anne Hathaway and Patti LuPone I would sell my kidney for a premium seat.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#159Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 11:04am

I'm not anti-Hathaway, but I don't love her for this role.

If they're really going Hollywood... I want Brie Larson or Emily Blunt. But that would never happen.

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#160Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:36pm

Is your source the person on Talkin Broadway who says its gonna be Patti and Hathaway this season? They also claimed its gonna be a limited engagement.

Also since I brought up Talkin Broadway that forum is so annoying to use, clicking on every response grinds my gears.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#161Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:37pm

Clearly, the rumor is Anne Hathaway.

I'm not convinced that is so clear.  It could just as easily be Anna Paquin, Natalie Portman, Kate Winslet or Jennifer Hudson.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Catsbroadwayfan
#162Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:37pm

So your source is just based off another rumor? Okay.

And yes I cant stand that forum.

Well with that, it looks like its next season then.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#163Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:47pm

I'd just like to point out the brilliance of Sondheim in allowing this to be done. He has just created a completely new market and revenue stream for the show. I can only imagine every regional theatre that has done the musical, will be doing it again with this revised script once the regional rights are rolled out.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#164Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:54pm

Sondheim's willingness to have his shows be reconceived and his openness to other artistic visions is a big factor for how he's gotten so established.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#165Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:57pm

Mister Matt said: "Clearly, the rumor is Anne Hathaway.

I'm not convinced that is so clear. It could just as easily be Anna Paquin, Natalie Portman, Kate Winsletor Jennifer Hudson.
"

It's pretty clear Company London 

Broadway World's Fireman.

JBC3
#166Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:02pm

GreeneStreet said: "Is your source the person on Talkin Broadway who says its gonna be Patti and Hathaway this season? They also claimed its gonna be a limited engagement.

Also since I brought up Talkin Broadway that forum is so annoying to use, clicking on every response grinds my gears.
"

You can change the display mode so you do not have to do that.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#167Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:06pm

Maybe- maaaaaaybe- playwrights like Noël Coward and Oscar Wilder can live by smart and clever line readings, but George Furth ain't Wilde or Coward and his linseed to sound as real and natural as possible.

This is quite funny. Coward and Wilde are some of the greatest writers of the late nineteeth and early twentieth centuries with works that continue to live on. Wilde's work in particular may have a heighten sense of language that leads you to believe it "maybe" needs line readings, but I don't understand your comment on Furth. None of his straight plays are particularly well-known or even widely produced, with his main work being his collaborations with Sondheim, i.e. Company and Merrily We Roll Along. I haven't read any of his plays, but Furth's work in The Act, Merrily, and most of all Company is the opposite of "real" or "natural" dialogue. I think it takes a very gifted actor to make the arch text of Company sound real. I haven't seen this production, but LuPone's concert performance (where she blew Harris out of the water in their scene together) shows that she is - like Stritch - uniquely positioned to give Joanne new life.

And this just a personal opinion, but give me Salome over the libretto of The Act any day.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 10/18/18 at 01:06 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#168Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:01pm

It's pretty clear Company London 

In 2016, polls made it clear that Hillary would win.  I don't believe jack until it's official.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#169Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:02pm

Mister Matt said: "It's pretty clearCompany London

In 2016, polls made it clear that Hillary would win. I don't believe jack until it's official.
"

You don't have to believe it's 100% happening.

But the name myself and others are referring to on here is Hathaway.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#170Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:16pm

Hathaway made her Broadway debut in 2005 in Children and art.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#171Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:17pm

Mister Matt said: "It's pretty clearCompany London

In 2016, polls made it clear that Hillary would win. I don't believe jack until it's official.
"

Its Hathaway.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#172Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 2:21pm

The x factor in all of this is Mr. Brantley.  If he despises the production, his review could essentially put the kabosh on any talk of a transfer. 

Does anyone know when his review will get printed?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#173Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 3:20pm

adamgreer said: "The x factor in all of this is Mr. Brantley. If he despises the production, his review could essentially put the kabosh on any talk of a transfer.

Does anyone know when his review will get printed?
"

There are a few high-profile openings in mid-late November, so maybe he would wait til then: Hadestown (11/13), the Pinter double-bill (11/15), Caroline or Change (11/29), Kit Harrington’s True West (12/4), plus the already-open Inheritance and Florian Zeller’s latest with Jonathan Pryce & Eileen Atkins. His last 3 UK reviewing trips look like they were in mid August, early July, and last November. 

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#174Company London
Posted: 10/18/18 at 4:46pm

The real transfer question here is neither Rosalie nor Patti but Johnny.

Having turned in great performances here, there and everywhere for the last few years, and with reviews like this, Mr Bailey presumably has the supporting-Olivier in the bag.