THE CHER SHOW Reviews

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#100THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/5/18 at 9:44pm

NYCblurb said: "Skip23 said: "Sometimes a good time is simply and thankfully a good time.
This is one of those times.
Critics who?
Just go and have a great time. Now and forever.

"Rather see HER in Vegas any day of the 8 show week.
"

Agree.  Cher's real Vegas show is SO much fun.  She has the sense to know that the story takes a back seat when you have those great songs and THOSE COSTUMES!!!  And the talent chops that Cher has (and Ms Block recreates!).

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#101THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/5/18 at 10:30pm

natashalost said: "where they tell you how each song was made." well she didn't really "make" the songs. she made the TV shows, and she made Cher. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#102THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/6/18 at 12:36am

Kind of wish it was staged more of as a Cher concert with some backstory interwoven. The 3 Chers just sounds messy. 

Lil Crazy
#103THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/6/18 at 7:09am

The Cher Show does not reflect anywhere that the three Cher’s make it messy. It is actually very ingenious. It helps you understand what “ if I could go back in time I might have done things differently”. This is why Cher’s song “If I could turn back time” is such an important reference.
Let’s be honest, who hasn’ thought (if I only new then what I know now). The Chers of the past are being remembered by Cher the Star. So Cher the Star is reliving her life so the audience can understand how she came to be a Strong Woman. Anyway that is how I interpret this show. Love to all. God bless!

Lil Crazy
#104THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/6/18 at 7:14am

The Cher Show does not reflect anywhere that the three Cher’s make it messy. It is actually very ingenious. It helps you understand what “ if I could go back in time I might have done things differently”. This is why Cher’s song “If I could turn back time” is such an important reference.
Let’s be honest, who hasn’ thought (if I only new then what I know now). The Chers of the past are being remembered by Cher the Star. So Cher the Star is reliving her life so the audience can understand how she came to be a Strong Woman. Anyway that is how I interpret this show. Love to all. God bless!

Caveat: Did The critics not understand this concept? Cher isn’t serious about her life. The woman loves to entertain so why would show’s concept be any different. ??

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#105THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/6/18 at 9:36am

It helps you understand what “ if I could go back in time I might have done things differently”. This is why Cher’s song “If I could turn back time” is such an important reference.

Well, other than the first two lines, the original song really doesn't have much relevance.

Let’s be honest, who hasn’ thought (if I only new then what I know now).

A cute narrative device that's not very original.  It was much more fun in the film Peggy Sue Got Married, though the musical adaptation I saw in London was pretty dreadful (outside Ruthie Henshall's fabulous performance).

From what I've read, it sounds like the revisions for Broadway have clarified the concept a bit better than the mess in Chicago, and spruced up the sets somewhat, but really didn't make any substantial changes to the script that elevate the show to anything more than a bullet-point Vegas revue.  And if that's all you want, then that's great.  But to me, I haven't heard any compelling reason to revisit the show after having seen the Chicago tryout, which I found messy and only mildly entertaining in a few spots.  I never felt like I learned anything important about Cher that I couldn't glean from skimming a Wikipedia page.  While I wasn't a big fan of Beautiful, at least the book had momentum and built in such a way that the accumulation of Carole King's life events logically added up to the success in a way that the audience relate to and understand.  The Cher Show just sort of jolts along with "Cher did this and they liked it!" then "Cher did this and they liked it!" then "Cher did this and they liked it!" mostly connected by "Cher is with him" then "Cher is not with him" then "Cher is with him" them "Cher is not with him".  It was like cramming for a history test that you'll completely forget in a week.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Lil Crazy
#106THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/6/18 at 12:21pm

Well Mr. Matt. I am so sorry you feel uninspired by The Cher Show. I guess those of us who have been in similar positions,during life, may get it better.
It’s very entertaining and allows you to simply enjoy the music and just be. At the end of the day I sometimes just don’t wish to get deep in thought. I simply want to sing and have not a care in the world. To me, Cher show’s me to keep going forward. Don’t give up one ones self. She came from meger means and her don’t stay down attitude has brought her to Stardom.
I saw the show in Chicago and let me tell you it is very different from the original path. Plus the audience is having a wonderful time. You can’t discount the fact we all come out with a smile. Well, the majority of us.
No offense and I respect how you feel. The world would be boring if we all thought alike... I am not a robot...??

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#107THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/6/18 at 12:50pm

I’ve yet to see this and it likely won’t make the cut during my quick January 4-7 trip (I only have 1 slot left to fill and there are currently 5 shows vying for it). But there is no show that everyone universally loves. Love what you love; hate what you hate. But that doesn’t entitle anyone else to feel the same way. I think Hamilton is a masterpiece. Some others feel differently. I was unaffected by both the current revivals of My Fair Lady and Once on This Island, but lots of people feel differently. I also loved If/Then and boy did a lot of people feverishly disagree on that one. Lol. It’s a big theater world with something for everyone. Doesn’t mean we can’t have strong opinions about why a show works or doesn’t work for us and it is indeed difficult to not take it personally when someone dismisses a show that means a lot to us or when someone praises something we consider inferior over productions that we feel are far superior. (That’s one reason why I’m careful who I rave to about my Madonna fandom) But as was stated above it’d be boring if we all loved the same thing; not to mention that it would be even more difficult to get tickets if we were all vying for the same shows. Lol

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#108THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/6/18 at 7:46pm

any word of a cast recording?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Lil Crazy
#109THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/7/18 at 12:40am

Mr. Matt.
You are so right. We all can’t like the same things all the time. I congratulate you.

Lil Crazy
#110THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/8/18 at 11:07am

Hey all. No more comments on The Cher Show? Is this a bad sign?

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#111THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/8/18 at 11:49am

nah - tourists and crowds from the burbs will keep this open for a while - they just don't write posts on this site.  See also, Pretty Woman 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#112THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/9/18 at 11:15am

the show is pretty much sold-out for all of December. Word-of-mouth is spreading quickly. I think this will be the hit of the 2018-19 season.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

FanofGreen
#113THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/9/18 at 11:24am

Miles2Go2 said: "I’ve yet to see this and it likely won’t make the cut during my quick January 4-7 trip (I only have 1 slot left to fill and there are currently 5 shows vying for it).

Hope The Bands Visit is on your list.  Katrina Lenk is just. so. great.  

As for The Cher Show:  saw it opening night - so, admittedly, the energy was high.  As already stated, very different from Chicago, but I still had a blast.  I thought the entire cast was solid to great.  Block was good (Sebastian was seated right in front of us and it was cute to see him sit a little higher in his seat every time SJB did a number).  Although, I have to say, her chemistry with Hydzik was zero.  (The Just Like Jesse James number was awful compared to the Chicago version.)  But overall, she did take ownership of the stage.  I thought the changes made to the Dark Lady number much improved it.  It was so much better than the original version-and the original version was pretty darned good.  Nothing much has been said about her performance, but I thought that Emily Skinner was the glue that held the theme of the show together.  Tina Fey sat behind us and laughed at all of the jokes - so that was a good sign.  Some of the humor was subtle and much of it was tongue-in-cheek, so if you aren't really paying attention, some may likely be lost on you.  I loved the 3-Cher device in Chicago and continued to love it in NY.  I have not seen Summer, so have no idea how it worked, or didn't, in that show.  I thought it well-done in The Cher Show.

Is this Hamilton or Les Miz?  No.  Is it trying to be?  No.  Is it an entertaining evening of visual splendor surrounding hugely talented people guiding us through the life of an icon's tribulations and success?  It is.  I thought it was great and will go again.  I like having fun, and this show was fun!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#114THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/9/18 at 2:20pm

FanofGreen said: "HopeThe Bands Visit is on your list. Katrina Lenk is just. so. great.

It was in contention for the last slot, but my friend said she is willing to see DEH, Kinky Boots (both of which I’ve seen before but look forward to seeing again) or The Prom. I agree Lenk is amazing and I’d Hager see her again. Other shows besides TCS that she could have chosen from were TBV and The Ferryman. Honestly, my top top pics would be DEH or The Ferryman or TBV, but she is only seeing two of my five shows w/ me - one of either DEH, KB or The Prom plus American Son. 

Anyway, we will enter or rather I will enter for us the lotteries for Dear Evan Hansen & Kinky Boots and I have a feeling we’ll probably end up winning the lottery for Kinky Boots so that’s what we will probably see. I’m also going to enter the Hamilton lottery for us, but I know the odds of winning both the Hamilton and DEH lottery are infinitesimal. If we win the Hamilton lottery, it’ll be my 4th time (once on Broadway and twice in Chicago). 

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#115THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/9/18 at 3:02pm

Saw it last night. Stephanie J. Block is a 10 and deserves the Tony. I'd give the overall show a 7. Fun in an amateurish sort of way, but nothing I'd need to see twice. And when Stephanie leaves or is out, this show is in trouble. Wouldn't have wanted to see it without her. Hope they've starting looking for her replacement.

Updated On: 12/9/18 at 03:02 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#116THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:56pm

I don't see how you could have anything but a fabulous time at THE CHER SHOW.

I caught it this weekend and I'm STILL on a high. Stephanie J. Block owns every second of this show, only ever matched by Micaela Diamond who is making quite the Broadway debut. I thought the narration by all three of the women was inspired for a genre of musical that has become quite stale. The Bob Mackie number and "Dark Lady" nearly stopped the show. An absolute camp confection.

I don't see how anyone beats Block for the Tony. She's overdue and has the audience in the palm of her hand the entire time.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#117THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/10/18 at 5:08pm

So glad to read all the raves for Stephanie.  I thought she deserved it for Falsetto's and I saw Rachel's performance, which was great.  She is the sweetest gal.  So happy for her and her family.  I think my wife wants to steal her hubby and daughter.

Stephanatic

Lil Crazy
#118THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/11/18 at 12:49pm

How many out there are still planning on seeing The Cher Show?

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#119THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/11/18 at 7:14pm

I think chances are I'll see it but times are tough now.  A NY trip to see family and Stephanie kind of makes this inevitable.

Stephanatic

lifeisinyou
#120THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/11/18 at 8:29pm

As a big fan of the show in Chicago (saw it three times), I went twice during a trip to NYC last week. The first time I found act 1 a bit of a head scratcher (mostly because of MAJOR changes from Chicago, lines in strange new places, etc) but thought act 2 was pretty much everything I would have wanted out of a revamped Cher Show. The second time I was able to sit back and really enjoy act 1. They use Stephanie a lot more smartly (the audience loves her so much, and I didn't even realize how much the show needed her more until I could compare) and the simplified narrative works really well. Micaela is doing wonderful work, Teal is great when she hits the right moments but her Cher voice still falters quite often. When she and Stephanie sing together (Half Breed, Bang Bang), however, its magic! 

I gotta be honest, I adore this show because it is just so joyful. The people on stage are all having a blast, the ensemble is CRAZY talented, the music is full of energy and uplifting. I never went to The Cher Show expecting a life changing experience - but it has just given me so much joy, and made me a bigger fan of Cher herself, to boot. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#121THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/12/18 at 10:28am

Lil Crazy said: "How many out there are still planning on seeing The Cher Show?"

I will be in NY in 9 days.  It has been 4 years since my last trip to the city & I don't know when I will be able to go again as it is a bit of a treck from the West Coast.  I have 1 slot open & have been reading reviews & show reports almost daily since June trying to decide what to see.  So much of what sounded interesting at first this season, quickly lost any lustre once reports started rolling in.  The plays all sound tedious or preachy.  For The Cher Show specifically, what sounded fun in Chicago has all been removed from the show.  I looked at the promo videos they have on the Playbill site, & frankly the show looks cheap & tawdry.  In the opening night bows video where Cher actually came out in the end the costumes look really cheap.  People keep saying this is like a Vegas show, but I was just down in Vegas in September & saw JLo's show  - there is no comparison!  I realize part of that is that the older theatre's used can't  handle the huge sets & special effects used in Vegas.  Anyways I saw some cheap seats for Frozen show up on Ticketmaster, so I might see that instead of The Cher Show.  I have also been thinking about King Kong instead as it has a lot of positive reviews on tripsdvisor.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#122THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/12/18 at 11:33am

Apparently Dee went on as Star for the first time last night. Was anyone in attendance? I’d love to hear how she was!

Edit: Oops! Found the other thread!

Updated On: 12/12/18 at 11:33 AM

Lil Crazy
#123THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/14/18 at 11:57am

Did anyone see The Cher Show last night?  Was Stephanie on stage.? If so,was her performance good?  Will be seeing the show January, and hope I’ll see the fantastic Ms. Block on that stage. 

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#124THE CHER SHOW Reviews
Posted: 12/14/18 at 12:16pm

Lil Crazy said: "Did anyone see The Cher Show last night? Was Stephanie on stage.? If so,was her performance good? Will be seeing the show January, and hope I’ll see the fantastic Ms. Block on that stage."

If you do search carefully on this same board, you’ll find the answer. And stop stanning this show. 

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim