Where is everyone?

#25Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:32pm

GreeneStreet, I can tell you that I first came to BWW years before I joined the team, specifically because of the message boards and that desire to communicate about the art form that we love, so I certainly sympathize. 

As we do when deemed necessary, some users have been suspended, but no posters have been banned indefinitely. Normally, we have a process that we go through before we suspend someone, but because of the rapid succession of offending posts last night, we amended that a bit. Also, for posters that have been suspended before (including some long-time ones), we go straight to suspension. 

Also, from some of the posts that we've seen this morning, it seems like some people think that they have a handle on everything that went down last night, but there is a lot more that happened that just being a part of the boards would not allow you to see. 

So, when we say that we are examining all internal options to make the board a more positive experience for everyone, we genuinely mean that. We welcome anyone who wants to be a part of figuring that out to do so, even if they currently are not able to post. As long as things are respectful and not attacking, you are welcome to voice concerns here, or to email contact [at] broadwayworld [dot ]com.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#26Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:37pm

If you read the rules, they likely are not permanently blocked unless they’ve already had multiple warnings and suspensions. If they are allowed to return and choose not to return that is certainly their choice. It did seem the forum was out of control last night. Every time it seemed we capable of having a nuanced conversation, things escalated back into attack mode again. Not so much toward other members but other targets. I think it’s helpful to recall that censorship is when freedom of speech is impeded by a government. That’s different than a company enforcing its rules. Whether that company went too far is not something I want to relitigate, but it is not censorship. I am glad to see the boards back open this morning and look forward to many helpful posts.

MauraLovesMusicals
#27Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:39pm

i wish we could all stay here personally (so i can hang out with y’all cause my school blocks reddit) but i understand why.

this has got me all sad now. it always felt like a family over here, we were toxic and sarcastic and over dramatic but there was always a sense of respect. i definitely haven’t been here long but y’all were fun and it was cool, getting to have different opinions outside of stan twitter. 

LxGstv
#28Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:43pm

Eh. While I saw only part of the drama last night, I would have to say the whole thing was pretty ridiculous. On the BWW staff part that is.

Worse things have been said about other performers on this board, and sure, while it may not be ok, who cares?! I get it is, it’s a company’s website and they have the right to remove whatever they want... but if that’s the case just shut down the boards all together... I think it’s been proven that you can’t really police the internet, isn’t that why IMDB removed their message boards too?!

I just feel that one person having depression issues doesn’t put their “rights” and “needs” above others. Heck, look at what’s happening in the world, most of us are dealing with depression.
Also, the fact that a thread where a member opened up about his suicidal attempts got completely removed is worrisome. Way to spin the narrative you want huh.

This will probably get deleted too.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#29Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:47pm

My post got deleted, this is exactly the problem with this place. I said absolutely nothing that was offensive, the best content this website puts out is the message board and the members that contribute to it and it should be protected.

This message board's interface is extremely outdated. It hasn't had an appropriate update in years and the last one wasn't very good. There are so many easily added features that could be added to make it better.

The message board shouldn't be heavily moderated because of people's opinions it should be moderated for personal attacks on one another or for actual spam.

We shouldn't be bending over backwards because someone doesn't like another person's opinion that gets posted here. Less vanity searching by one person would also get rid of these issues.

Updated On: 12/10/18 at 12:47 PM

Highlands Guy Profile Photo
Highlands Guy
#30Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:53pm

BroadwayBear2 said: "It's also quiet, because many of the more vocal posters have had their accounts blocked/deleted including Sondheimite and BroadqayConcierge, and quite a few others. The whole thing got out of hand, I dont think removing these people we all loved and respected from our community was the answer. We need to be able to discuss things together"

I have been here before in a different incarnation.  Speaking about no one in particular, and speaking only for myself, no, these people were NOT "all loved and respected from our community".  Some were bullies/trolls who, for whatever purposes, hijacked what began as civil discussions, and just would not let go.  The behavior of some here was shameful.  I expect, perhaps wrongly, better from the BWW crowd.

The missing threads will not be missed.  The missing bullies and trolls will not be missed.  Time for a new beginning.

ghostlight2
#31Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:56pm

"I have been here before in a different incarnation.  Speaking about no one in particular, and speaking only for myself, no, these people were NOT "all loved and respected from our community".  Some were bullies/trolls who, for whatever purposes, hijacked what began as civil discussions, and just would not let go.  The behavior of some here was shameful.  I expect, perhaps wrongly, better from the BWW crowd.

The missing threads will not be missed.  The missing bullies and trolls will not be missed.  Time for a new beginning."

^^^This.

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#32Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:59pm

Ghostlight I find your response upsetting to say the least.

#33Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 12:59pm

LxGstv and Broadway Joe, I know I sound like a broken record, but I honestly understand where you are coming for, perhaps even more than you realize. But, as I've said before, this is not really just about one performer, one poster, or one topic of discussion. 

I completely understand that it looks like that from the outside, because of the very public stuff that sparked everything last night. But truthfully, this is about us trying to navigate an ever-changing online world in which moderated discussions are in direct competition with the freedom afforded people on social media. 

Unfortunately, as we are a part of the Broadway community as well as the hosts of a message board, we simply can't allow the the posting freedom that social media platforms have. So, with every new challenge (be it online or offline), we have to figure out how best to address them. Some, we see coming, some we don't.

That is why we welcome you to continue to contribute feedback as work through some new ideas to try to find that ever illusive, delicate balance. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#34Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:06pm

<<edited by BWW staff>>

i don’t post on the board as often as i used to due to my interests becoming less focused on theater but it’s still a board i tend to check out at least once a day just to see what’s going on, and i feel like stuff that happened last night and the steps that were taken to iradicate the discussion so grossly outweigh what was being discussed. why even bother having a board if people aren’t allowed to discuss theater? and then to delete posts that may tell users where they may be more welcome to freely discuss?? and to hear tell that Sondheimite and BroadwayConcierge have been removed from the site not unsimilar to how FindingNamo left the board in 2016 (whether of his own accord or not) seems so preposterous. one of them is literally a broadway concierge how do you let them go? i just don’t understand these things.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."
Updated On: 12/10/18 at 01:06 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:08pm

"Part of the Broadway community" means, I assume, "we have a vested interest in making sure performers are happy with what goes on here so we can have access to them to create content in order to create revenue."

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JSquared2
#36Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:09pm

haterobics said: "GreeneStreet said: "And thats why Im leaving the boards."

Again? Where is everyone?
"

This is GreeneStreet’s 3rd time (at least) leaving the boards. I wouldn’t put too much stock in it coming to pass. 

RexInLights
#37Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:27pm

Highlands Guy said: "BroadwayBear2 said: "It's also quiet, because many of the more vocal posters have had their accounts blocked/deleted including Sondheimite and BroadqayConcierge, and quite a few others. The whole thing got out of hand, I dont think removing these people we all loved and respected from our community was the answer. We need to be able to discuss things together"

I have been here before in a different incarnation. Speaking about no one in particular, and speaking only for myself, no, these people were NOT "all loved and respected from our community". Some were bullies/trolls who, for whatever purposes,hijacked what began as civil discussions, and just would not let go. The behavior of some here was shameful. I expect, perhaps wrongly, better from the BWW crowd.

The missing threads will not be missed. The missing bullies and trolls will not be missed. Time for a new beginning.

"

I pretty much agree with this. It's nice to have somewhere to discuss what's going on in the theatrical and Broadway universe with respect and kindness, but so much of what goes on around here tends to be bullying, trolling, and personal attacks against both other posters and performers, directors, producers, etc. It's one thing to be critical and dislike something and discuss it, it's another thing entirely to engage in personal attacks or cross the lines of decorum. If you can't handle a message board in which rules will be enforced or decorum will be held, find somewhere else to go. There are plenty of places where that sort of behavior or tone is welcome if not celebrated. I'm all far keeping things within the guidelines, especially on such a notable website as this.. What happened last night and the things people were saying were distressing and I for one applaud the moderators for their actions. This is a private website, they are allowed to enforce whatever rules they see fit. 

Fetus Profile Photo
Fetus
#38Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:36pm

Justice for Sondheimite

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#39Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:36pm

Kad said: ""Part of the Broadway community" means, I assume, "we have a vested interest in making sure performers are happy with what goes on hereso we can have access to them to create contentin order to create revenue.""

Even beyond that, the shows themselves buy lots of ads here.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#40Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:42pm

The argument that “we attack others all the time and didn’t get into trouble so we shouldn’t get into trouble now either” doesn’t get much mileage from me. That’s like saying that because you sped 100 times without getting a ticket, you shouldn’t get a ticket this time.

There is a difference between critiquing an actor’s performance in a show and critcizing their personal life and struggles. In my mind, some of the past (but not nearly all) posts did cross that line. In reference to saying the performer(s) could just choose not to visit the site, I can’t deny it would be best for their mental health, but it would be just as easy for us to conduct ourselves in a more mature, constructive manner.

It could be that the arist(s) are using their examples to stand up for the artistic community as a whole, but only felt comfortable sharing comments directed at them so as not to make artists aware of hurtful comments aimed at them.

Just my thoughts. We probably wield more power on here than we realize, but as Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben says: “With great power, comes great responsibility.”

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#41Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:57pm

<>

Anything attacking a performer or criticizing their personal life (outside of critiquing their performance in the show) is being deleted. There’s a difference. What is happening today is within the BWW rules.   

Updated On: 12/10/18 at 01:57 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#42Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 1:59pm

Kad said: ""Part of the Broadway community" means, I assume, "we have a vested interest in making sure performers are happy with what goes on hereso we can have access to them to create contentin order to create revenue.""

It's a shame that one person's opinions seems to have such a large effect on the moderators.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

LxGstv
#43Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:09pm

I’m not saying that because worse things were said about other performers that it makes it ok, far from it, but the point was that worse things were said without any repercussions or consequences. You can’t pick and choose what to moderate and what not to, people can see when that happens.

Either we are allowed to talk about performers or we are not, and if we are not, then what’s the point of having a message board?! The performers are part of the production.

The NYT completely destroyed King Kong in their review, I don’t remember one kind thing that was said, it would be the equivalent of the production of the show asking the review to be taken down because they weren’t pleased with it. This is a message board where people review broadway shows.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#44Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:11pm

Shoot, I missed all the action. How disappointing.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#45Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:14pm

A few weeks ago I posted my concern that the site was possibly under a trolling attack- old threads being unnecessarily bumped, and attempts to exploit religious/cultural tensions by both hardcore theist and hardcore atheist posters alike.

I'm not pushing any narrative here one way or another, but I WILL say, my time on several other innocuous message boards has pointed out to me that there is no corner of the internet, however niche, that cannot be turned into a low-level anxiety machine by those who, for political or personal reasons, wish to sow discord.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#46Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:17pm

Everything I’ve said has not been a violation of site rules. But it’s all being deleted. Cute.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#47Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:18pm

CedricOates said: "Wait, Sondheimite and BroadwayConcierge were both deleted ?"

I doubt it. Maybe a temporary ban? 

LxGstv
#48Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:19pm

Honestly, I’m not sure if anyone here is a fan of Lily Allen, but this whole thing reminds me of something that happened in her instagram stories a couple of nights ago... she gave an interview to The Telegraph, and people were twitter were incredibly negative... she went to read comments and posted a bunch of stories in tears... the first thing she said was she shouldn’t have read the comments... the point being is that the internet is a ****ty place and people are horrible... so sometimes it’s just best to avoid it, you can’t control everything that’s out there...

Again, I know that this is a private website therefore it can be controlled, but the idea is the same, if you are set on finding negative comments, you will find them, they are out there, regardless of the website.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#49Where is everyone?
Posted: 12/10/18 at 2:32pm

WOW--talk about instant censorship--I just posted a comment comparing this to an incident a few years ago that disrupted this board, and bingo ! gone !

Please respond Mr Moderator, on here, and tell me the reason for said delete. It would help show what you can and cannot say.

Thank you in advance