RENT Live on Fox

DigificWriter
#550RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/3/19 at 5:06pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Daphne Rubin-Vega is the original Mimi and was actually great."

I disagree.

She's the primary reason I struggled with the show as presented onstage long-form prior to last week and the release/broadcast of RENT Live.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#551RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/3/19 at 8:35pm

Daphne Rubin-Vega is one of the most underrated performers in my opinion. I think it’s sad that people don’t understand her. She’s such a great actor and performer. And I love the gruffness of her voice. While others may have more pleasant singing voices, she’s always felt like the real Mimi to me. Her passion in the role is remarkable and untouched.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#552RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/3/19 at 9:21pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Daphne Rubin-Vega is one of the most underrated performers in my opinion. I think it’s sad that people don’t understand her. She’s such a great actor and performer. And I love the gruffness of her voice. While others may have more pleasant singing voices, she’s always felt like the real Mimi to me. Her passion in the role is remarkable and untouched."

I agree. I also love her voice on the Rocky Horror revival cast album. I did agree with most she was miscast in Les Miz, but looking back I liked her better than Anne Hathaway!

Platypus
#553RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/3/19 at 11:27pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Daphne Rubin-Vega is one of the most underrated performers in my opinion. I think it’s sad that people don’t understand her. She’s such a great actor and performer. And I love the gruffness of her voice. While others may have more pleasant singing voices, she’s always felt like the real Mimi to me. Her passion in the role is remarkable and untouched."

I agree. There is a big difference between not liking the sound of someone's voice and saying that they can't sing. I really don't get the comparisons to Rosario Dawson - Rosario may have a "prettier" voice but her singing is so weak, and in my opinion, totally boring. DRV, on the other hand, may have a less pretty-sounding voice, but there is no denying she has an extremely powerful singing voice that she knows how to control much better than Rosario. She has a grittiness to her that suited the role that is hard to match. I have no idea if it's true, but I heard that when DRV was cast, most of the creative team wanted a different actress, but Jonathan Larson insisted on DRV because she was the best match for how he had envisioned Mimi. 

DigificWriter
#554RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/4/19 at 9:49am

The evaluation of talent is totally subjective, and I don't personally care for Daphne Rubin-Vega as a singer and think she's horrible, especially in relation to the rest of the RENT OBC.

I also don't like many of the "featured players" in the RENT OBC Ensemble.

Others's mileage may vary, and that's okay.

Shifting things to a different topic, let's talk about Favorite Songs from the FOX production.

Mine are "Light My Candle" (because it's voy favorite song from the show overall), "Another Day" (because of the way that Brennin and Tinashe's voices play off one another), "Without You" (it's a shame we didn't get to hear Rosario sing this song in the movie version), and "What You Own" (Brennin and Jordan have great vocal chemistry too, and it really shows in this song).

colorsblend Profile Photo
colorsblend
#555RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/4/19 at 2:46pm

I'm pretty positive Without You was in the movie. It's definitely on the movie soundtrack. Part of Goodbye Love was not in the movie, however.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#556RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/4/19 at 2:52pm

Daphne Rubin-Vega was scintillating.  In a cast full of extraordinary talent, she stood head and shoulders above the rest.  It's one of the top 5 musical theater performances I've seen in 32 years of attending Broadway shows. 

Remember...an OBC is a memento of what happened on a stage.  And what Rubin-Vega did on stage was astounding.  Too bad you didn't see it.

DigificWriter
#557RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/4/19 at 3:06pm

colorsblend said: "I'm pretty positive Without You was in the movie. It's definitely on the movie soundtrack. Part of Goodbye Love was not in the movie, however."

I went back and checked, and you're right; Rosario (and Adam) recorded it for the film, but it was used as a montage overlay and so I'd forgotten about it being there.

ladywholunches
#558RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/8/19 at 8:45pm

Re-watching Rent Live this weekend after listening to the OFF2BROADWAY podcast on Rent, and even though it wasn't perfect I still loved it.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#559RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/8/19 at 10:21pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "Daphne Rubin-Vega was scintillating. In a cast full of extraordinary talent, she stood head and shoulders above the rest. It's one of the top 5 musical theater performances I've seen in 32 years of attending Broadway shows.

Remember...an OBC is a memento of what happened on a stage. And what Rubin-Vega did on stage was astounding. Too bad you didn't see it.
"

I also was lucky enough to see the OBC and yes Daphne was pretty much a revelation on stage along with a cast that will never be matched!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/8/19 at 10:21 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#560RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 2/8/19 at 10:24pm

DigificWriter said: "The evaluation of talent is totally subjective, and I don't personally care for Daphne Rubin-Vega as a singer and think she's horrible, especially in relation to the rest of the RENT OBC.

I also don't like many of the "featured players" in the RENT OBC Ensemble.

Others's mileage may vary, and that's okay.

Shifting things to a different topic, let's talk about Favorite Songs from the FOX production.

Mine are "Light My Candle" (because it's voy favorite song from the show overall), "Another Day" (because of the way that Brennin and Tinashe's voices play off one another), "Without You" (it's a shame we didn't get to hear Rosario sing this song in the movie version), and "What You Own" (Brennin and Jordan have great vocal chemistry too, and it really shows in this song).
"

Where have you been? Rosario does sing Without You in the film....and very nicely I might add 

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#561RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 12:07am

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for.
However, does anyone know if Fox will be releasing Rent Live On DVD?

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#562RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 12:35am

I don't think they'd release something that literally only one person in the world would purchase.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#563RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 7:00am

Oh, please, gadd of people would buy it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#564RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 10:29am

From a friend who's boyfriend worked on this production: based on the mixed to negative reviews plus the horrible ratings the broadcast received, FOX won't be releasing this on homevideo.  Only the soundtrack recording was released.  

Home-made excellent quality DVDs of the broadcast are the closest you will get and are easily available for purchase online (for about $8) most notably on Etsy.  

Fosse76
#565RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 2:14pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "From a friend who's boyfriend worked on this production: based on the mixed to negative reviews plus the horrible ratings the broadcast received, FOX won't be releasing this on homevideo. Only the soundtrack recording was released."

The pre-recorded broadcast was released digitally in the Google Play store and on iTunes. It is listed as a TV Show,

I finally watched it and honestly didn't think it was nearly as bad as people were claiming. It did lack energy, though. But I wasn't nearly as annoyed with the changes as I thought I would be.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#566RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 2:54pm

dramamama611 said: "Oh, please, gadd of people would buy it."

No, they really wouldn't. It was that horrible. DVDs cost money to produce, they lost millions off of this.  Anyone can simply buy it off Amazon digitally. It was Hulu but only for a short time because, again, no one was watching. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#567RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 4:08pm

The pre-recorded broadcast was released digitally in the Google Play store and on iTunes. It is listed as a TV Show,

My response was to the inquiry if it would be released on DVD.  Its available to stream on various platforms, just no physical DVD is happening.  

theaterdarling
#568RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 6:42pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "From a friend who's boyfriend worked on this production: based on the mixed to negative reviews plus the horrible ratings the broadcast received, FOX won't be releasing this on homevideo. Only the soundtrack recording was released.

Home-made excellent qualityDVDs of the broadcast are the closest you will get and are easily available for purchase online (for about $8) most notably on Etsy.
"

If no DVD was released by Fox or official licensee,  I do not see how a "home-made" DVD of the TV broadcast can be "easily available" and legally sold to the public for the low, low price of $8.00 on Etsy or elsewhere -but I am open to have it explained to me how piracy is not involved here.  I am sure all will be forgiven by the Feds. Fox and the Larson estate when they find out the DVD is of "excellent quality."         

I am sure by passing this info along you did not want to help people purchase an illegally reproduced and marketed item as that would screw the rights holders and numerous artists involved-- and that would never cross the mind of a true and fair-minded musical theater lover. Looking forward to learning how the sale of home made DVDs of someone else's work is legal and to stand corrected.

jimmycurry01
#569RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 4/30/19 at 7:18pm

theaterdarling said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "From a friend who's boyfriend worked on this production: based on the mixed to negative reviews plus the horrible ratings the broadcast received, FOX won't be releasing this on homevideo. Only the soundtrack recording was released.

Home-made excellent qualityDVDs of the broadcast are the closest you will get and are easily available for purchase online (for about $8) most notably on Etsy.
"

If no DVD was released by Fox or official licensee, I do not see how a "home-made" DVD of the TV broadcast can be "easily available" and legally sold to the public for the low, low price of $8.00 on Etsy or elsewhere -but I am open to have it explained to me how piracy is not involved here. I am sure all will be forgiven by the Feds. Fox and the Larson estate when they find out the DVD is of "excellent quality."

I am sure by passing this info along you did not want to help people purchase an illegally reproduced and marketed item as that would screw the rights holders and numerous artists involved-- and that would never cross the mind of a true and fair-minded musical theater lover. Looking forward to learning how the sale of home made DVDs of someone else's work is legal and to stand corrected.
"

While it may not be right, let's admit that this line was blurred decades ago beginning with Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984) which gave audiences the right to record from live TV with the purpose of time shifting live TV. While Hollywood continued to lobby Congress to prevent home recording throughout the 80s, they were continuously unsuccessful. Ultimately, this is indeed copyright infringement, and therefore not legal, but the blurred line created by the case in terms of recording television shows still muddies the water. Ultimately, a purchased DVD from etsy can be seen as one supplying others with the means of time delaying the TV event by several months. The low price of $8 could merely be the price of blank media plus shipping, and thus protected by that court decision. 

Fosse76
#570RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 5/1/19 at 1:13pm

jimmycurry01 said: "While it may not be right, let's admit that this line was blurred decades ago beginning withSony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984) which gave audiences the right to record from live TV with the purpose of time shifting live TV. While Hollywood continued to lobby Congress to prevent home recording throughout the 80s, they were continuously unsuccessful. Ultimately, this is indeed copyright infringement, and therefore not legal, but the blurred line created by the case in terms of recording television shows still muddies the water. Ultimately, a purchased DVD from etsy can be seen as one supplying others with the means of time delaying the TV event by several months. The low price of $8 could merely be the price of blank media plus shipping, and thus protected by that court decision."

It didn't "blur" the line. And selling "homemade" copies of copyrighted material is illegal. The law doesn't differentiate between the copyrighted material and the media in which it is being distributed. As far as the law is concerned they are one and the same.

theaterdarling said: "I am sure all will be forgiven by the Feds. Fox and the Larson estate when they find out the DVD is of 'excellent quality.'"

The "Feds" don't care about these minor violations of copyright law like this; they would want a complaint from the copyright holder. The seller would have to be making large amounts of money for anyone to even care. And since Fox isn't selling DVDs of RENT Live and the digital copies are only a few dollars, they have no real claim of monetary loss. So at most they would issue a cease-and-desist letter.        

jimmycurry01
#571RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 5/1/19 at 7:42pm

Fosse76 said: 

It didn't "blur" the line. And selling "homemade" copies of copyrighted material is illegal. The law doesn't differentiate between the copyrighted material and the media in which it is being distributed. As far as the law is concerned they are one and the same.

I do not disagree with you, but as I stated Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984) does give people the right to record television programs for the purpose of time-delaying the viewing of those programs. I am merely suggesting that an argument could, in theory, be made that someone selling the copy may be considered aiding an individual in time delaying the production, especially if the cost is truly as low as $8, assuming the cost includes shipping and the price of the media.  At that cost, it seems no profit would be made.

Again, I would still call this illegal; of course, it's illegal, as I mentioned more than once in my original comment. Despite the fact that I would judge it to be illegal, it is a plausible argument in that it seems reasonable, and theaterdarling was clearly looking for a reasonable argument. Of course, just because something seems plausible doesn't mean it would hold up in a court of law. I am merely having a discussion on a discussion board.