pixeltracker

Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?

Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?

ArtMan
#1Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/17/19 at 6:59pm

I went back today to watch Waitress (tour) due to my unpleasant experience Tuesday night with poor audience behavior which included filming the show. At today's show, during the last six minutes, the woman in front of me took out her device and started filming the show. She was looking through a viewfinder to film, so at least I was not destracted by a light. She continued to film until finally an usher came up to her at the beginning of the curtain call and said something to her. She put away her device and said to the usher "I didn't know". I responded, "Girl, you knew". I begin to think when leaving, maybe she didn't know. I knew at this show specifically they said nothing about taking pictures and filming. They just mentioned turning off phones. If I remember correctly, there used to be a specific announcement about copyright and distractions for the cast. However, the last many shows I have seen, I have not heard this announcement. I know it is probably mentioned in the Playbill, but most wouldn't read it. So my question is...do 2019 audience members know they aren't suppose to film or take pictures of the show? I will mention that this same person left her device on, so it lit up in her lap many times during the show. So she definitely knew she was suppose to turn off her phone. But did not think that applied to her.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#2Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/17/19 at 7:12pm

Rules and laws about it couldn't be more clear. Theaters usually make the announcement about it, but from my experience that happens much more in NYC versus other parts of the country, unfortunately. Some people truly don't know and need to be informed, while others are fully aware and just don't care.

Incredibly frustrating to people who have great respect for the theater.  I'm sorry you had that experience.

Broadway_Boy
#3Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/17/19 at 7:13pm

At Anastasia in January, a woman in the front row blatantly took a picture of every single scene with her brightness as high as possible. No usher said anything to her.

Eating at the theatre has really what’s gotten out of control and usually the person eating is the only person in the entire theatre eating and loudly enough that everyone in the building can hear it. A decade ago, ushers on Broadway used to stop any talking, eating, or filming within seconds. Now more often than not, no one says anything. If I’m close enough I will tell them to cut it out, and 10% of the time they start to argue with me, but they never win.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#4Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/17/19 at 8:59pm

There isn't much excuse at Waitress, since Sara even sings about turning off cell phones in the pre-show song, which I would imagine they also play on tour. Couldn't find it online, but here is the girl from the show doing a version:

ArtMan
#5Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/17/19 at 9:08pm

haterobics said: "There isn't much excuse at Waitress, since Sara even sings about turning off cell phones in the pre-show song, which I would imagine they also play on tour. Couldn't find it online, but here is the girl from the show doing a version:

Correct....there is mention of turning off the phones , "because people aren't going to like you if your phone rings".  The question is... do people know not to film the show because the preshow announcement does not mention it?  In their minds, my phone isn't ringing.  I'm just filming the show.  

"

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#6Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/17/19 at 11:39pm

I just wish most schools could dedicate one week to making sure first graders know what "off" means.

stephaniehsueh
#7Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 12:26am

You would think people would know it's not allowed/illegal but far too many do not know. While plenty of pre-show announcements don't explicitly say "recording of any kind is strictly prohibited", I've found that even with the ones that do, I've seen people whip out their phones to take photos or film a short clip. So at this point, I can't really give people the benefit of the doubt. People either have no listening comprehension or they think it doesn't apply to them/they're being inconspicuous when in reality they're bothering everyone around them.

mailhandler777
#8Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 12:43am

haterobics said: "There isn't much excuse at Waitress, since Sara even sings about turning off cell phones in the pre-show song, which I would imagine they also play on tour. Couldn't find it online, but here is the girl from the show doing a version:

It's done on tour. The same Sara version used on Broadway. 

"

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#9Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 1:02am

ArtMan said: "The question is... do people know not to film the show because the preshow announcement does not mention it? In their minds, my phone isn't ringing. I'm just filming the show."

Well, if it were off as instructed, you couldn't do that, though?

I go to a lot of shows where they only specify no photos or video recording, which seems to open the door for audio recording, but you can reasonably assume they aren't cool with that, either? heh

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 1:49am

If you go to mainstream performance events that are actually ‘relevant’ to young people these days, I.e., stadium concerts, festivals etc. recording is common place/the norm. I would not be surprised if some of these people don’t realise the etiquette is different in theatres.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#11Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 7:47am

I agree with qolbinau. I don't really go to concerts but the first one I went to was Mariah Carey's Christmas concert at the Beacon theatre back in 2014 and I'll admit I was shocked that so many people were recording it via their cell phones but my friend told me it's quite common in concerts (silly me for being ignorant.)

This is probably why a lot of younger folks going to Broadway for the first time thought it was ok to film. In addition, for high school productions of plays/musicals, I've seen parents record it and have no issues. 

I'll admit after seeing how high the prices go for sold out concerts nowadays, I'm ok just saving my money and 'watching' the concert from youtube or instagram live. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#12Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:00am

Most people know, the problem is the people who are doing it just don't care if they aren't supposed to do it and do it anyway.

LxGstv
#13Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:12am

haterobics said: "ArtMan said: "The question is... do people know not to film the show because the preshow announcement does not mention it? In their minds, my phone isn't ringing. I'm just filming the show."

Well, if it were off as instructed, you couldn't do that, though?

I go to a lot of shows where they only specify no photos or video recording, which seems to open the door for audio recording, but you can reasonably assume they aren't cool with that, either? heh
"

Artman specified in the first message that she pulled out a device and started filming through a viewfinder, not her phone. But her phone was also on.

That is annoying, although recently I’ve been more bothered by theater “hummers”, I saw 2 shows in a row where the person next to me or behind me would literally go “hmm” or “hum”, no joke, at every line that was uttered on stage.

ArtMan
#14Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:23am

The last three shows I saw on tour (including Hamilton) this year,  did not mention anything in their preshow announcement about filming/taking pictures.   The last two shows in NYC I saw, Torch Song and Waverly Gallery did not mention it either.  (I'm pretty sure).  Are the show's creators/producers adding to the problem?  There used to be a preshow announcement that specifically addressed it.  Also for you gadget pros.  I mentioned she had a phone (I'm assuming) on her lap that kept lighting up on its own.  Twice, what ever she had on her lap, made what looked like a mirror disco ball all around her and the two people on both sides of her.  When that happened, it was really noticeable and annoying.  What kind of device does that?

LxGstv
#15Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:35am

It could have been a visual notification maybe on her phone? Where light alerts you instead of sounds.

When Torch Song was off broadway, ushers were very strict about no photography before the show began. When it was on broadway however, there was even a slip on the playbill encouraging you to take pictures of the Torch Song sign and share it online on your social media.

CurtainUp4
#16Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:42am

It's distraction enough to other audience members when someone starts taking video or pictures during a show, but then when an usher comes down the aisle and shines a flashlight on the person to get them to stop, and the person ignores the flashlight, then the usher waves the flashlight even more to get their attention, it becomes a much bigger distraction.

When I attended a performance of Clueless, a young audience member one row in front of me took video frequently but had her phone screen really dark and put her phone down whenever the actors came close to us, so she obviously knew it wasn't allowed. 

I read in the New York Times review of Freestyle Love Supreme that they used Yondr pouches during the recent run.  I wonder if more theaters may do this in the future?

magictodo123
#17Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 8:46am

People know they're not supposed to record--they just don't care. I think it's kind of hard to ignore the multiple announcements telling people not to record shows. There are announcements made by ushers, inserts in the playbills, clever announcements made pre-show (Waitress, Hamilton and Mean Girls are three examples I can think of off the top of my head). The thing is, when people find out an understudy will be on, they immediately try to figure out a way to find someone they know who will be at that performance so they can get "content". It's frustrating, and rude, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to be changing any time soon. 

I'm so sorry you had that experience at Waitress! 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#18Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 9:07am

Broadway Joe said: "Most people know, the problem is the people who are doing it just don't care if they aren't supposed to do it and do it anyway."

Very true. I remember for Dear Evan Hansen back in 2017 an usher literally asked the patron to delete the photo/video in front of her. I don't think most ushers actually do that nowadays (they just flash the light on you and that's it.)

magictodo123
#19Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Suppose To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 9:18am

Wick3 said: "Broadway Joe said: "Most people know, the problem is the people who are doing it just don't care if they aren't supposed to do it and do it anyway."

Very true. I remember for Dear Evan Hansen back in 2017 an usher literally asked the patron to delete the photo/video in front of her. I don't think most ushers actually do that nowadays (they just flash the light on you and that's it.)
"

I definitely remember seeing ushers flash lights to patrons who have been filming or taking photos, but I rarely see them asking the patron to delete the recordings....does that happen a lot? 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#20Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Supposed To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 10:21am

I think part of the problem is that there ARE a number of people who legitimately DON'T know they're not supposed to record. The show is a part of their vacation, just like when they went to the Empire State Building and Katz's Diner and took video there. It's not always the instagram/twitter stans recording for engagement.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Fosse76
#21Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Supposed To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 12:03pm

LizzieCurry said: "I think part of the problem is that there ARE a number of people who legitimately DON'T know they're not supposed to record. The show is a part of their vacation, just like when they went to the Empire State Building and Katz's Diner and took video there. It's not always the instagram/twitter stans recording for engagement."

Not only that, but with many shows not making announcements, and theaters allowing pictures before the show, why would anyone think they couldn't? Small print ion the program? Most people only glance at the program.

Platypus
#22Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Supposed To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 3:15pm

Wick3 said: "I agree with qolbinau. I don't really go to concerts but the first one I went to was Mariah Carey's Christmas concert at the Beacon theatre back in 2014 and I'll admit I was shocked that so many people were recording it via their cell phones but my friend told me it's quite common in concerts (silly me for being ignorant.)

This is probably why a lot of younger folks going to Broadway for the first timethought it was ok to film. In addition, for high school productions of plays/musicals, I've seen parents record it and have no issues.

I'll admit after seeing how high the prices go forsold out concerts nowadays, I'm ok just saving my money and 'watching' the concert from youtube or instagram live.
"

People would have to be pretty clueless to think that what is acceptable at a concert is automatically also acceptable at the theatre. I go to a lot of rock concerts and a lot of theatre, and there is no comparison regarding the expected etiquette. At concerts, you are encouraged to sing along at the top of your lungs, dance, jump up and down, yell and scream, crowd surf, etc. It is also completely normal to light up a joint, get drunk, and chat with your friend throughout the performance since it's so damn loud you're not really bothering anyone. And yes, a lot of people have their phones out to take video and photos the entire time and it is only frowned upon if the artist specifically asks you not to or if it is obstructing the view of the person behind you. Most people (though it seems to be fewer and fewer) understand that in the theatre you're in a dark, quiet room where you sit still and keep your mouth shut, so I find it hard to believe that people would automatically assume that etiquette surrounding recording in a theatre is the same as at a concert. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#23Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Supposed To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 4:16pm

Concerts used to be very different. The best example is Axl Rose diving into the crowd to confiscate a camera, and ending the show because of it... although, he was always a bit on edge when performing live:

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#24Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Supposed To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 4:29pm

" I agree with qolbinau. I don't really go to concerts but the first one I went to was Mariah Carey's Christmas concert at the Beacon theatre back in 2014 and I'll admit I was shocked that so many people were recording it via their cell phones but my friend told me it's quite common in concerts (silly me for being ignorant.) "

Just look at youtube clips of any artist you may like and you will see many concert clips and some of an entire show. This is not just young people, this type of thing happens at classic rock performer concerts for example by people who are in their 60's and 70's.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#25Do 2019 Audiences Know They Aren't Supposed To Film The Show?
Posted: 3/18/19 at 4:49pm

In reference to Torch Song and Ths Waverly Gallery, I usually don’t recall announcements or inserts since I don’t need to be told to turn off my devices. I do it automatically.

But I just pulled out my playbills. The only insert I found for The Waverly Gallery was warning that there was only one intermission and that if you left your seat for any reason, you would not be permitted to return.

For Torch Song, the insert welcomed you to take pics of the Torch Song sign before the show, during intermission and after the show, including curtain call. However, “photography and recording of any kind are strictly prohibited during the performance.”

Videos