I DON'T GET IT

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#1I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 12:14am

1. All the hate for BEETLEJUICE. I think it's the best musical of the year. Best music, lyrics, book, set, choreography, lighting, direction, video, musical comedy performances. Apples/oranges

2. Leslie Kritzer didn't get a nom? and no Mockingbird?

3. The great love for Hadestown, Oklahoma, Kiss Me Kate, and Tootsie.

4. Lilli Cooper nom but not Sophia Caruso?

5. Daniel Fish nom but not Alex Timbers?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 12:46am

I don’t know, man. Life is crazy and then you die. I don’t get it, either.

Johnm2
#3I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 12:50am

Not to be rude to you or to any of the shows you mention, but just by virtue of saying BEETLEJUICE is what you believe to be the best musical of the year we are on very different pages.  I think that the score, with maybe one or two songs as the exceptions, is cringeworthy.  It is a pretty looking show for sure.  There are some good one-liners in the book.  But the story the book tells (a different one from the film, by the way) is silly (i.e. nonsensical).  I just wanted the show to end so I could leave.  And I want to love everything.

I love Leslie (would have loved for her to get a nom...but it was a busy year).  She was great in the show as were the other actors..  Just a really awful show IMO.  They are so fortunate to even be nominated due to the 5th slot.

I can't explain Mockingbird...  Rudin?  Sorkin?  An adaptation of a famous story that we know works so how could it be best play as though it were new?  Not sure what their reasoning was...

Hadestown is incredible...  what those people are doing on that stage is unparalleled.  That music, the design, the actors... the DIRECTION and CHOREOGRAPY.  Flawless.  May not be your bag, but to dispute its grace and elegance and perfection would be hard to understand.

Not sure what to think of Oklahoma... people love it or hate it... so the "great love" I'm not sure applies. They sure are doing something new...  and there are only two new musical revivals all year...  so we'll see where the vote swings. 

I personally thought Kiss Me Kate was the dullest and most disappointing thing I've seen in ages.  Kelly O'Hara is a class act and what a voice.  But that production was so run of the mill.  Whether I like Oklahoma or not it would be hard for me to support Kiss Me Kate in that race of two.

Tootsie...  people love the book and they love Santino.  But that score... how can we support a musical with a boring score like that?  It's a MUSICAL...  some great acting performances...  it's almost never the actors' fault and there are some great ones here..  but MUSICALS need to have good MUSIC or why bother?  And the new concept of the story makes no sense...sorry...  a Broadway musical journey is not even close to that of a soap opera....  so we need to go in from the beginning suspending all disbelief to even watch it.

Sophia is a revelation.  Busy season, I guess?  But that lady will have a long career ahead of her to get plenty of nominations in far better shows.

Sorry...  Alex, as nice of a guy as he seems to be, is form over substance...  he does beautiful looking work, but he has never proven to be able to direct anything with emotion.  Beetlejuice is on that list for sure.

I usually agree with the Tony noms (more than any other award)...  this year there were a few head scratchers, but by and large I think they got it right...  for the most part I DON'T GET IT

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#4I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 12:54am

I DON'T GET IT
why is this thread a thing? People have differing opinions and just because they don't match with yours it doesn't mean it's wrong. Personally I love Hadestown and Tootsie, but HATE Oklahoma, not really caring for Tootsie. No reason to question them. It's just taste.

JON111699
#5I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 12:55am

1. I loved Beetlejuice, but I personally wouldn't go as far as to call it the best musical of the year.

2. I agree that both Kritzer and Mockingbird deserved nominations.

3. Sometimes people just have different opinions than you.

4. Lilli Cooper and Sophia Caruso were eligible in different categories so I don't really understand the correlation.

5. Daniel Fish completely reimagined basically everything about a classic musical including new orchestrations, staging, choreography, costumes, casting, etc. Timbers directed an adaptation of Beetlejuice (which, I repeat, I loved). I would nominate Timbers over McAnuff, however.

UncleCharlie
#6I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 12:58am

I don't get why theater box offices refuse to accept pelts and glass beads in exchange for tickets. It was good enough to buy the land Broadway is situated on just a few hundred years ago but now all of a sudden it's not.

Niles Silvers
#7I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 1:06am

One day, Earth will be swallowed up by a yawning black hole.  

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#8I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 1:36am

Child millennial, it is past your bedtime.  Maybe when you wake up though, the Tony Awards will make the announcement that ALL PEOPLE ON BROADWAY WILL GET A PARTICIPATION TROPHY THIS YEAR! JUST FOR BEING ON BROADWAY!

Prayers up for you!

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#9I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 2:57am

And guys...what i DO get is that everyone has their own opinion.  I was just trying to stir up some more of those opinions.  I like the REASONS we do or don't like something.  

magictodo123
#10I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 5:15am

Don’t try to understand how the minds of the people at the American Theater Wing work.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#11I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 5:48am

What is stopping you from setting up your own nominating committee and awards ceremony?

I'll tell you.  Nothing.  Nothing is stopping you from setting up your own nominating committee and awards ceremony.

Nothing but nerve.

Go for it!

UncleCharlie
#12I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 6:15am

Skip23 said: "And guys...what i DO get is that everyone has their own opinion. I was just trying to stir up some more of those opinions.

Why? There's already an existing thread that was started for this very purpose that has close to 200 comments/opinions. You don't think that's enough?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#13I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 7:56am

Skip23 said: "I like the REASONS we do or don't like something."

But you didn't provide any of your reasons?!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#14I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 8:29am

Skip23 said: "And guys...what i DO get is that everyone has their own opinion. I was just trying to stir up some more of those opinions. I like the REASONS we do or don't like something."

Then why not just ask that question. Not everyone here can read minds.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#15I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 9:11am

And guys...what i DO get is that everyone has their own opinion.  I was just trying to stir up some more of those opinions.  I like the REASONS we do or don't like something. 

Here's a link to 8 pages and counting on these opinions you must have somehow missed.  Knock yourself out.
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?page=8&thread=1116404

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#16I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 10:36am

I quite agree.

You don't get it. 

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#17I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 10:50am

It probably comes down to the fact that nominators disliked Beetlejuice less than, say, Be More Chill (which some predicted would get the "5th slot" nominations in a few categories that ultimately went to BJ). 4 design noms were expected, and there happened to be room to nominate it for Musical, Book, Score, and Actor, too.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#18I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 10:53am

Skip23 said: "And guys...what i DO get is that everyone has their own opinion. I was just trying to stir up some more of those opinions. ."

Who hurt you? 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#19I DON'T GET IT
Posted: 5/2/19 at 2:17pm

Skip23 said: "1.  All the hate for BEETLEJUICE.  I think it's the best musical of the year.  Best music, lyrics, book, set, choreography, lighting, direction, video, musical comedy performances.  Apples/oranges

2.  Leslie Kritzer didn't get a nom?  and no Mockingbird?  

3.  The great love for Hadestown, Oklahoma, Kiss Me Kate, and Tootsie.

4.  Lilli Cooper nom but not Sophia Caruso?

5.  Daniel Fish nom but not Alex Timbers?
"

I agree with like 2 of these points but did you only like Beetlejuice this season? If so sorry the one show you liked isn't going to get all the awards. Also Beetlejuice got 8 nominations so it's not like it was ignored or snubbed?